Advertising Test

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Fellow Hunttalkers:

Starting in the next few days, we will be working with a group that specializes in web advertising for outdoor sites. They want to run a test on our site, to give us a proposal.

I am not sure what the result will be, or the fine details of how it will work during this test.

Being one who is not a big fan of sites littered and polluted with advertising, I am doing this to determine a few things.

1. Can it be done tastefully, if there is such a thing as tastefully?

2. What is the feedback from users, once they see it, considering this site has never had advertising.

3. If it works, will it be worth the headache, and allow me to get rid of the "Donate" tag, and know that hunttalk will have the ability to pay for itself in the long run?

If Hunttalk is going to upgrade the software, improve the site, provide better security protection, and add other useful features that make it a viable option among the many other hunting sites, I need to consider a way to help offset those costs. This is one possibility I am considering.

So hang with us during this test phase. It will start sometime in the next 48 hours, and run for 2 or 3 days. This company will rotate ads, to see what user interest our site has, if any; what traffic our site generates to the advertisers, if any; and see if our site is compatible with the interface they use for ad displays.

Thanks for your patience as we make this test run.

Are you taking Paid Advertisers for the Adult Forum.... ;)

HEHE... Sorry Boss. (Wow, It is fun to be on "this side" of the game ;)

.02, several people jsut dislike the Paid advertising. Maybe sites have been successfull and had them on it though. If they are out of the way but still available I don't mind them one bit. I hope you make enough to run the site without losing money. Good luck Amigo !!!

it can be done very success, just dont use the google ads have a rotating manner, in each forum for each advertiser.

I been working on this at azbasszone sinces its creation long ago. I hate ad's I despise them, but I've played with them enough so they are non intrusive I just have to get off my high horse and turn them on , most members on a website dont mind them its just me who doesnt like them.

oh yeah your advertiser need to understand if someone doesnt like there product and bitch about it your not going to pull the thread. if they threaten you you have to have the balls to tell them to go f themselves.
Advertisers usually the smaller ones like to play there the superstar and there shit dont stink. Never let an advertiser tell you what can or cannot be posted as if you do that you might as well give them the board, cause you have no control anymore.

you set the rules and they can pay and play they wants special favors and they can leave its that simple.

the bigger advertiser don't really care as they are more matre and realize the fact that not everyone like everything, and they know they cant keep everyone happy.
if you have advertisers you can pull the donation link as well or you can leave it up.

Make sure you charge the exact same for both little guy and big guy, if you start to give so and so a break you screwed up.
ad's need to be paid in 3-4 month min itervals, no pay no play NO REFUNDS AFTER its been paid cause they dont like something.

Ads are the reason i dont go to many other sites, they start telling what you can and cant do or say. First came the atv section, second goes the adult section, third comes an add for an atv on the main page. Looks like they all go hand in hand. Many people enjoy hunttalk because they can say what they want, and even the heated battles simmer down on there own. What else can we expect to go away or start popping up?

Ads are the reason i dont go to many other sites, they start telling what you can and cant do or say. First came the atv section, second goes the adult section, third comes an add for an atv on the main page. Looks like they all go hand in hand. Many people enjoy hunttalk because they can say what they want, and even the heated battles simmer down on there own. What else can we expect to go away or start popping up?

Larry:

Not sure what else will go away, or what will start popping up, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

People can say what they want, will continue to have heated battles, and hopefully simmer down on their own.

I am glad to take the heat for things guys don't like. Hopefully they will see through it all and focus what we are trying to do for the long-term, and make their assessment of it when all is finished.

If anyone nukes comments where you are saying what you want, I hope you will PM me. Don't need to worry about that happening. It is why I don't post much on other sites.

Del:

I have been warned about advertisers making adolescent complaints that people are picking on them in the forums. Not interested in dealing with anyone who thinks their ad space gives them control over content from me or anyone who is posting.

I am fortunate to be in a postion where Hunttalk can go foward without any single advertiser who may come on board. If advertisers want to flex their wallet, there are plenty of other sites where they can do that.

what ATV section? I have heard this mentioned and I cant find it.

there is a forsale section that is for vehicles atv snow machines etc etc, I just didnt make the desciption 100% ready when I was moving forsale threads info the forsale sections.
these are for members selling there stuff. make its easier to list and look for .

If the location stays as it currently is I can live with it. Can you kill the Boulder Creek outfitters sponsorship of the deer section though?

If the location stays as it currently is I can live with it. Can you kill the Boulder Creek outfitters sponsorship of the deer section though?

Is the Location of Boulder Creek the issue or the Outfitter, My guess with you is it's the Latter ? :eek:

Advertisements...suck,imo.

Never liked them, period.

If we don't "have" to, then why?

Why not have them JUST on the Home Page but not on the forums?

I don't mind the advertising up right now at all. Just a little 1 by 6 inch banner at the top of the page that you can't see when you scroll down 1 inch is no big deal. It's there to see when you first pull up a page and then it's out of mind.

It's when you get stuff on the sides flashing all over the place and the site looks like an advertising whore that it gets a bit bothersome.

I was a huge opponent of Moosie adding advertising to the site, just ask him. ;) I even tried to buy him off, but I don't make enough money. :( But then I got to thinking about when I visit MM, which is truly "added out". I really don't even notice the ads, unless they are flashing, making noise, or some other seizure-inducing action.

I see that some of the ads currently on the site are moving, but I expect them to fade into the background in time. Probably not what those paying for advertising want to hear. But I think those that want to be sold something will notice, and those who don't will not even notice the ads in time. JMHO

I will say one other thing, though, because it just came up. Every once in a while on MM, I click a link and the page freezes and stops responding. I have to close the browser in Task Manager and restart. I've NEVER had that problem with Hunttalk until today. Maybe it's just a coincidence?:confused:

I agree with Spitz and Oak. I've looked at the Mueller runner already...no problems.

guess I'm used to ignoring them on other boards. not a big deal to me.

I will say one other thing, though, because it just came up. Every once in a while on MM, I click a link and the page freezes and stops responding. I have to close the browser in Task Manager and restart. I've NEVER had that problem with Hunttalk until today. Maybe it's just a coincidence?:confused:

Can you be more specific?

when you click on the banner link? or any thread links.

if its when you click on a banner link, do you ahve popups enabled?
also can you tell me what banner(ad) that it does it in is it certain ones or all of them.
is it your work PC or home pc
and finannly do you have norton?

Sorry aboutt he questions just trying to figure it out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back