Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Adios

James Riley

Banned
Looking back on my life, it is clear that I peaked long ago (1984-1989). But it's not over and I could peak again, especially since my definition is unrelated to physical prowess, social standing, or professional competence. My definition has more to do with inner strength, inner peace and spiritual grounding.

I wondered about the difference between then and now. “Then” was much more hunting. “Then” was no internet. “Now” is less hunting, more responsibility, and what I think is an addiction to the internet. I've always been manic enough to easily break any addiction, but I have to go cold turkey to do it. I tend to fail at moderation. I see my son spending too much time in front of a screen.

I'm going to quit. But before I do so, I wanted to comment on hunting and this web site. It is fitting that you people, hunters, and talk of hunting, and the pictures, started me on the journey back to where I should be. I've spent twenty years surfing forums and arguing under many different pseudonyms on hundreds of diverse subjects, most of which are unrelated to hunting. I've even had people assume my name(s) for false flag. Some still follow me around on other sites. Usenet, back in the 90s was really a trip! But it's really all been for naught.

Until Hunt Talk.

Here I find that no matter what lies in a person's heart, as he/she is about to pull the trigger or release the arrow, and no matter how I personally feel about their chosen prey, weapon or methodology, they have at least put themselves out there and exposed themselves to a teacher called the Hunt. The first lesson is, the hunt is not about me, and if it becomes so, then I quit learning. This is what distinguishes hunters of any type, in my opinion, from so many people in today's world. We all love the hunt and to the extent we disagree, we must put our faith in the teacher, the Hunt, and let her work her magic.

Hers is almost a Socratic leading, with sometimes imperceptible change; but without a student, even a seemingly intractable student, she gets nowhere. Thus, just getting out there is the sign of a person who is willing to expose themselves to something larger than themselves, where they might learn, even if in spite of themselves. Finding people who get out there is getting scarce these days. It's time for me to go back. I have a lot more to learn. I'm just glad there are people here, better folks than me, who are defending the hunt and a place to do it, egalitarian.

Thank you all. :D

James, I am sorry you will be leaving, you added a unique perspective to the conversation.

But I understand the internet issues. I have been reading a number of studies coming out on the way the internet/social media is actually unsocializing people and whats worse, is the effect that it is having on children growing up with it, it is actually altering the way their brains functions. Psychologists and neurologists are stating that schools will have to start implementing classes to teach real life social skills, like how to look someone in the face when you are talking with them, how to think before you speak because you cant edit real life, how to use real words not acronyms like OMG.

Sent you a PM asking about an older writing question I meant to ask last week before my motherboard connector pin failure took me offline for 4 days. :)

CK Louis talks about smartphones and I will paste here. Overlaps James' line of thinking.

CK:

I think these things are toxic, especially for kids...they don't look at people when they talk to them and they don't build empathy. You know, kids are mean, and it's 'cause they're trying it out. They look at a kid and they go, 'you're fat,' and then they see the kid's face scrunch up and they go, 'oh, that doesn't feel good to make a person do that.' But they got to start with doing the mean thing. But when they write 'you're fat,' then they just go, 'mmm, that was fun, I like that.'

You need to build an ability to just be yourself and not be doing something. That's what the phones are taking away, is the ability to just sit there. That's being a person. Because underneath everything in your life there is that thing, that empty—forever empty. That knowledge that it's all for nothing and that you're alone. It's down there.

And sometimes when things clear away, you're not watching anything, you're in your car, and you start going, 'oh no, here it comes. That I'm alone.' It's starts to visit on you. Just this sadness. Life is tremendously sad, just by being in it...

That's why we text and drive. I look around, pretty much 100 percent of the people driving are texting. And they're killing, everybody's murdering each other with their cars. But people are willing to risk taking a life and ruining their own because they don't want to be alone for a second because it's so hard.

And I go, 'oh, I'm getting sad, gotta get the phone and write "hi" to like 50 people'...then I said, 'you know what, don't. Just be sad. Just let the sadness, stand in the way of it, and let it hit you like a truck.'

And I let it come, and I just started to feel 'oh my God,'and I pulled over and I just cried like a bitch. I cried so much. And it was beautiful. Sadness is poetic. You're lucky to live sad moments.

And then I had happy feelings. Because when you let yourself feel sad, your body has antibodies, it has happiness that comes rushing in to meet the sadness. So I was grateful to feel sad, and then I met it with true, profound happiness. It was such a trip.

The thing is, because we don't want that first bit of sad, we push it away with a little phone or a jack-off or the food. You never feel completely sad or completely happy, you just feel kinda satisfied with your product, and then you die. So that's why I don't want to get a phone for my kids.

James, the internet is less bad, (or more better?) when time is spent at a place like this one. I know I have become more knowledgeable and formed new opinions after spending time here. Maybe you will check in from time to time? Take care, mtmuley

I too, spend far more time on here than I should. I feel like a sponge soaking up water with some of you guys. I always have appreciated your conversation as well as your intellect. I hate endings so please take some time off, but do come back and visit.

HTA Hunt Talkers Anonymous My name is Straight Arrow and I am a Hunt Talker. I feel your angst.

Riley, do not go over the waterfall merely because you think you cannot fight the current. Seek balance, Grasshopper, and give it a rest only briefly. I express this selfishly as I must acknowledge that your research, your expressions based on education and experience, and your political insights cause me to think and seek information. Do not abandon us, James Riley. Looking forward to a return of balance. Respectfully and admirably, your fellow hunter.

Lmao, I had forgotten about that. Coming back political guns a blazin! Glad your back it would be pretty boring on here without you.

Another hypocrite seems to have gotten bored and missed the action ! :)

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back