Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

about the deerkill thread...how many

JB Florida

ElkhntrinMD made me wonder this:
How many bucks did you pass up this season?

I left 3 that should be P&Y contenders for this Fall and 14 that were just puppies
biggrin.gif

I passed up around 15 bucks in South Dakota. One was decent, but the rest were pretty small.

In Montana I shot a buck that was with five or six others opening morning. Guess that doesn't count as passing up any, but they were opportunities.
wink.gif
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-10-2003 19:34: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

I passed on a 3x3 here in California only because he was running with a 4x3 that I ended up getting.

In Idaho I passed on a lot more. I passed on a little 3x2 that was only about 10" wide. I also passed on a 3x3 that was about 15" wide. Passed on two 4x4's that I didn't feel comfortable shooting at because of the distance and because it was just about dark. I also passed on a lot or forkies and spikes.

Total I would say I passed on between 12 and 15 bucks this year.

In two days of hunting I saw only 10 deer: 5 does and 5 bucks. I passed on two small 3x3's, missed a gimme shot at a 3x4, and passed on a big 3x3 that gave me no good shot(running). I killed the 5th buck, a 4x4.

Oak

I wish I could say I passed up a lot more but the number was only about 10. I was in a great unit known for quality bucks. My problem was limited time. After the first two days of passing, I decided to take the next 4x4 that presented an opportunity. Descent buck but only 23" wide.

bulldown

But I can say that I passed on a 340 inch bull! Only because I couldn't get a shot off at 20 yards!!!!!! Lucky SOB.

Gun season i passed up 7. Bow season i dont remember how many were actually in bow range, but there were a few i saw that were for sure in gun range.

do misses count as a pass up?

My 15 year old daughter passed up a wide racked 3 X 3 muley. But she held a antlerless tag for South Dakota's Youth Deer Season. It was the ethical thing to do. I'm proud that she resisted the strong temptation to squeeze the trigger.

Of course, I mentioned that if she fired I would be collecting a sizeable reward for turning her in. So she quietly said, "bang you're dead" and we cont'd our hunt for a big barren doe. It took several outings to locate this quest, but she did so with her conscious intact.
Jack

I don't know, that TIP's money would have been nice.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, congrats to your daughter. I am sure you were proud. Did she shoot her deer in the Hills?

Yes, she dropped a big bodied muley with a neck shot at approx. 175 yards. Weight of this muley was approx. 185 - 225 lbs. Hard to say. Hunt location was less than 5 miles west of Rapid in the Hills.

For those interested in such things: The rifle used is a Remington .243 and she used a single 80 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet. Damage to the vertabrae and tissue was extensive. This little bullet was located balled up under the hide. Recovered weight is 64 grains.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back