Aaaaaaaaaaaaand again.........

Honestly this pandemic was supposed to take over for the bison and eliminate a few more people, you know, to increase the draw odds and everything, now it looks like that burden is back on the shoulders of bison, hope they're prepared to take out as many as they can for the greater good.

It doesn’t surprise me. When myself and my 2 Aussie mates did our trip there we had several close encounters with Bison. One that was top of mind. Having a snack and coffee in a car park behind the van. A large male bison travels from one side of road to other, about 30 feet from the van. We’re standing still beside the van and the animal is going on it’s path, I guess because we’re not in “his zone”. I’m aware this is a wild, dangerous animal BUT this guy starts pushing past us to get a photo. The BIG male snaps it’s head straight to us - the demeanour of the animal changed it a blink but the happy snapper didn’t pick this up. I think one more step and it’s on. I grabbed the back of his shirt as he started moving forward and in my most authoritive vioce said “Don’t”. He looks at me all quizzical and a little stunned and the bison moves on.

It doesn’t surprise me. When myself and my 2 Aussie mates did our trip there we had several close encounters with Bison. One that was top of mind. Having a snack and coffee in a car park behind the van. A large male bison travels from one side of road to other, about 30 feet from the van. We’re standing still beside the van and the animal is going on it’s path, I guess because we’re not in “his zone”. I’m aware this is a wild, dangerous animal BUT this guy starts pushing past us to get a photo. The BIG male snaps it’s head straight to us - the demeanour of the animal changed it a blink but the happy snapper didn’t pick this up. I think one more step and it’s on. I grabbed the back of his shirt as he started moving forward and in my most authoritive vioce said “Don’t”. He looks at me all quizzical and a little stunned and the bison moves on.
Had a similar experience with someone outside of RMNP with a moose.

I remember back in the late-80s, when I was a kid growing up in Mammoth Hot Springs, YNP we had a summer where someone was getting gored almost every week. Got so bad the rangers started distributing these hilarious yellow flyers warning tourists to stay away from the bison. The flyer contained an illustration with an angry buffalo tossing a tourist in the air. The drawing was so funny my buddies and I kept every one we found lying around at the hotel, visitor center, general store, etc just because it made us laugh. 😀

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back