A vote to increase resident permit cost in Montana

Talking about how to better fund FWP policy for better management is a moot point when the Legislature continues to dictate that FWP policy shall be contrary to what our public land deer and elk need to thrive.
Pay more, pay less, it doesn’t amount to jack until the directives from the top change.

In the regional meet and greet they were looking for new ideas on what they could spend the massive amount of money they are going to have rolling in from the legalization of marijuana. Some of those funds maybe get funneled the direction we are discussing?

In the regional meet and greet they were looking for new ideas on what they could spend the massive amount of money they are going to have rolling in from the legalization of marijuana. Some of those funds maybe get funneled the direction we are discussing?

I think that it's 20% of taxation revenue goes to Habitat MT, 4% goes to Parks & another 4% goes to trails. Within the bill (HB701) it's far more detailed, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Disingenuous? You're the one attempting to make leaps of logic that Evel Knievel wouldn't attempt. Sorry if I'm just jumping in, I was in MT...
Yes it is. There are several pages of comments for you to challenge or argue. To pick one or two lines of somewhat sarcastic comments of out of that is a lazy response if you don't agree with something. I won't take it personal but you are making logical leaps without a point other than attempt to diminish an individual. Welcome back from MT, hope you had a great time.

For the most part, the GLA, General License Account, is the primary account for salaries, benefits, etc that employees get and that is mixed in with a portion of Pittman Robertson funding. I am not aware of any general fund )tax dollars) that go to the agency in any meaningful manner (this excludes some cost-sharing, etc).
So is this a fair statement?

While I generally agree with @Gerald Martin about results, there are also portions of FWPs mandate like enforcement which I think are important. So while I am frustrated about the ridiculous seasons lengths, management policies, etc. it's still critical that the agency has funding.

Montana residents certainly pay taxes and fees to the state and thereby contribute to the overall budget of MFWP in many ways, but that withstanding there are portions of the agencies budget that are derived completely from license sales.

Therefore, just because you're pissed about shoulder seasons don't cut warden's and/or positions. Either cough up $15 bucks, vote to change the budget allocations, or stop complaining about poachers.

So is this a fair statement?

While I generally agree with @Gerald Martin about results, there are also portions of FWPs mandate like enforcement which I think are important. So while I am frustrated about the ridiculous seasons lengths, management policies, etc. it's still critical that the agency has funding.

Therefore, just because you're pissed about shoulder seasons don't cut warden's and/or positions. Either cough up $15 bucks, vote to change the budget allocations, or stop complaining about poachers.

This is a fair statement. Defunding the agency is going to be extra counter-prodiuctive, yes.

This is not a fair statement:

Montana residents certainly pay taxes and fees to the state and thereby contribute to the overall budget of MFWP in many ways, but that withstanding there are portions of the agencies budget that are derived completely from license sales.

The only tax dollars going to FWP will be explicitly for the acquisition of fee title lands and conservation easements, some to state parks and some to trails through an act of the legislature that watered down the desires of the people of MT. Residents contribute to the overall budget of the state in many ways, not just FWP. That is why the resident hunter/angler license is low - with citzenship comes benefits. But I'm simply quibbling.

This is a fair statement. Defunding the agency is going to be extra counter-prodiuctive, yes.

This is not a fair statement:

The only tax dollars going to FWP will be explicitly for the acquisition of fee title lands and conservation easements, some to state parks and some to trails through an act of the legislature that watered down the desires of the people of MT. Residents contribute to the overall budget of the state in many ways, not just FWP. That is why the resident hunter/angler license is low - with citzenship comes benefits. But I'm simply quibbling.
I think more the point I'm trying to make is everyone wants to pay less for more. This thread could be about CO, WY, or hell MA and it would read out exactly the same.

At the end of the day Montana residents are "paying" for wardens;

1. Raise fees
2. Raise taxes
3. Raise licenses costs

or "pay"

4. Live with more poached game, violations, accidents, trespassing, habitat damage, etc.

Pay with your elk tag, pay with your home or pay with a torn up field, up to MT residents to decide... but there is a cost, and you folks live with the consequences not me.

You can't wish away inflation and right now you have more and more people moving to MT both factors are going to require the budget to grow to maintain the status quo.

My 2 cents: how hard/easy is it to generate more funding for those parts of MFWP you do like using means other than elk tags. Elk tags seems pretty easy, maybe Ben could comment on getting an extra 5MM via license plates 🤷‍♂️.

I think more the point I'm trying to make is everyone wants to pay less for more. This thread could be about CO, WY, or hell MA and it would read out exactly the same.

At the end of the day Montana residents are "paying" for wardens;

1. Raise fees
2. Raise taxes
3. Raise licenses costs

or "pay"

4. Live with more poached game, violations, accidents, trespassing, habitat damage, etc.

Pay with your elk tag, pay with your home or pay with a torn up field, up to MT residents to decide... but there is a cost, and you folks live with the consequences not me.

You can't wish away inflation and right now you have more and more people moving to MT both factors are going to require the budget to grow to maintain the status quo.

My 2 cents: how hard/easy is it to generate more funding for those parts of MFWP you do like using means other than elk tags. Elk tags seems pretty easy, maybe Ben could comment on getting an extra 5MM via license plates 🤷‍♂️.

The issue of nontraditional funding for game agencies has been around for 30 years with few states actually solving the issue. States like Missouri & CO have done so, and a few others as well, but it's not perfect by any means.

With the Boomer generation becoming less inclined to hunt or as they pass away, it's an issue that the 3R folks may want to reconsider in the drive to simply turn out more hunters/anglers.

The issue of nontraditional funding for game agencies has been around for 30 years with few states actually solving the issue. States like Missouri & CO have done so, and a few others as well, but it's not perfect by any means.

With the Boomer generation becoming less inclined to hunt or as they pass away, it's an issue that the 3R folks may want to reconsider in the drive to simply turn out more hunters/anglers.
When was the last time MT raised it's fee? I bet you a box of bismuth adjusted for inflation that amount would be at least double the current price.

That said Alaska resident tags are free...so maybe the fee was intended to be nominal.

When was the last time MT raised it's fee? I bet you a box of bismuth adjusted for inflation that amount would be at least double the current price.

That said Alaska resident tags are free...so maybe the fee was intended to be nominal.

2016 for resident. NR licensing was based on the CPI, but I think that got changed. Following the typical 5 -7 year cycle, it's time to increase resident licenses again, although I would imagine this administration refuses to do so so as to preserve the optics of "no new taxes" to fool the masses after they got gouged in previous terms, including 2021.

They should just make all non resident hunting guided only. No more DIY jackasses from all over the place hunting the whole season. No more freeloaders who have a trophy home here but residency somewhere else. This model works in other states and provinces.

They should just make all non resident hunting guided only. No more DIY jackasses from all over the place hunting the whole season. No more freeloaders who have a trophy home here but residency somewhere else. This model works in other states and provinces.
I like it! Make Bozeman hunters get guides too!! Jokes **

5w451a.jpg

I've learned there are 2 things that people don't like:
1. Change
2. The way things are

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back