A Tale of Two Fiskars Hatchets: Fiskars 14" vs Fiskars X5 (9")

Islander

I own a a Fiskars 14" hatchet (2019 model 375501-1001) and use it for backpack hunting. It weighs 1 lb 9 oz. I wanted to see if there was a lighter alternative. Bought a Fiskars X5 (9") mini hatchet because it was listed at weighing 1 lb 1 oz.

Received the tiny little excuse for a hatchet today. Sadly it weighs just 3.4 oz less than my full size hatchet. Back it goes. Anything that weighs less will likely be far less capable, more of a "hatchet-like" tool without the features that make hatchets so useful. The X5 mini has the same diameter handle and same size/weight head as the 14" hatchet. So it's not more compact, just about 5" shorter. That shorter handle dramatically reduces chopping leverage and also places your hand very close to whatever you are chopping, increasing the chance of injury. Unlike the full size hatchet, the X5 doesn't have any non-slip texturing on the handle either. Not something I want to use solo in the backcountry.

BTW, the full size hatchet costs about $28. The mini X5 costs about $70. (n):ROFLMAO:

Size Comparison Between Both Hatchets
20200807_120210.jpg

14" Hatchet Weighs Just Over 1.5 Lbs.
20200807_120027.jpg

X5 "sorta-a-hatchet' Weighs Just 3.4 Oz Less
20200807_115935.jpg

I have no affiliation with any gear companies, including Fiskars. I paid for both hatchets with my own money. I posted this review in case anyone might find it useful.

Last edited:
I wouldn't backpack either one of those, or any hatchet for that matter...

I carry a Gomboy or Bigboy Silky if I have to process wood for a warming fire or tent stove. For local camping I carry both the hatchet and a saw...and several beers! (y)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back