Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Times a cheap piece of equipment saved a hunt, or my hide.

Firedude

So we're in the slow part of hunting. It's thinking and planning time. So I started going through my gear and my wife said, "Why do you still carry this if you have a GPS?" And held up my compass.

It got me thinking about 2 instances where walking a grid search for a deer in dense grass and tall sagebrush my GPS wouldn't update fast enough to keep me going in a straight line while looking at the ground. I kept wandering 10 yards here and there recovering tracks sometimes. It just wasn't accurate enough that day. We found the deer after regridding using that compass and a heading.

Another instance my GPS died. The screen went crazy. Some software issue... It was dark and I was on the sagebrush flats chasing antelope for miles until the sun went down. I pulled out my compass and took a heading. I ended up 1/4 away from the pickup but on the pavement. I still carry it every time I go out.

I fell through the ice in November and got soaked on an elk hunt. The creek wasn't that deep but I flailed in comic form while falling. Doing my best to imitate a drowning victim in 10 inches of ice water I was soaked. It was freezing. My day pack managed to soak up most of the creek. No problem. Break some limbs, gather tinder, break out my fancy mini torch and... not working. Bic? Soaked even in a ziplock. Apparantly it had a hole. Same ziplock my torch was in. Pulled out my safety matches in a water tight container and they fired! $3 well spent!

The list goes on. Sewing needle and thread when a torn clothes, a leftover hydro when I broke my ankle, paracord replacing boot laces, tweezers... (Insert image of Randy sitting on a cactus! He he) a glow stick I marked the truck with in the dark when we were packing out elk. A garbage bag to line my pack so it doesn't get blood soaked. Etc. All my "extra" stuff in a bag weighs less than a pound. I just weighed it. It is right at a half pound. Things get taken out some times of year and others get added. And yes, sometimes I too have returned with my head hung low because I didn't have something simple... like water tablets. I have done the one sleeved walk of shame when my toilet paper ran out now that I think about water tablets. 2 shots of whiskey and a mini deck of cards saved my sanity on a 5 day backpack hunt when snow hit. Just as important.

Point is I'm sure I'm not the only one here. There are a lot of newbies here and occasionally we do pack dump posts so new guys can get some pointers. Feel free to share your experiences and maybe we will save somebody some trouble. And I'm anxious to read some funny stories here too!

I always carry a compass and map.Hunting the Kiabab and getting near where camp should be.
My gps says I passed it 1/2 mi, back.Walked to the top of the ridge and my camp was right out
in front of me at 200yds.I now carry a new gps AND a map and compass.And yes I too have taken
The sleevless walk of shame,but I use my tee shirt and use both sleeves so I look cool... 〽💥

I carry needle and thread for clothes tears, and super glue for an equipment repair and hopefully never to put in a flesh wound to seal it up. Ibuprofen helps musle pains in the mountains that get sore at night.

I always carry a compass and map.Hunting the Kiabab and getting near where camp should be.
My gps says I passed it 1/2 mi, back.Walked to the top of the ridge and my camp was right out
in front of me at 200yds.I now carry a new gps AND a map and compass.And yes I too have taken
The sleevless walk of shame,but I use my tee shirt and use both sleeves so I look cool... 〽💥

A couple of dime bags of wet wipes.

We were backpacked 4 miles into the wilderness. The skies opened up the second I pulled the trigger and it was a full-on whiteout. Me and 3 friends got the bull elk back to spike camp at dark. Everything was soaked and coated in wet n heavy snow. Although I tried and have never failed at it, a fire wasn't going to happen and my Texas friends voiced concern for our safety. My Colorado buddy, best buds since age 5, pulls out 2 giant roadside flares and fire was blazing in no time!
Under any other circumstances, I would have given him crap for packing that extra weight 4 miles into the wilderness.
Thanks Scott :)

Extra Pair of boot laces, a few instances with tape, propane torch for starting a fire on the river bank for a buddy who fell in duck hunting when it was like -5, went straight-up pyromania out there. Also learned a valuable lesson...... don't burn russian olives, that shit wreaks. I wonder how many guys have been saved by a Inreach or Sat. phone or something of the sorts..... sure they're not "cheap" up front but when the time comes someone poor soul needs one bet their glad they spent the 500 bucks on it.

NEVER leave the house without electrical tape and bandana. Punctured my thigh 3/4" from femoral artery field dressing a deer. Doc said later that if I had not bound it tight, I could have been in trouble. That was on a trip hunting with the truck only half mile away, so didn't carry pack. Now I always carry my pack.

We were backpacked 4 miles into the wilderness. The skies opened up the second I pulled the trigger and it was a full-on whiteout. Me and 3 friends got the bull elk back to spike camp at dark. Everything was soaked and coated in wet n heavy snow. Although I tried and have never failed at it, a fire wasn't going to happen and my Texas friends voiced concern for our safety. My Colorado buddy, best buds since age 5, pulls out 2 giant roadside flares and fire was blazing in no time!
Under any other circumstances, I would have given him crap for packing that extra weight 4 miles into the wilderness.
Thanks Scott :)

I've found the mini flares in the boat section of most sporting stores. I do carry one occasionally when weather gets bad.

A couple of dime bags of wet wipes.
Product of the sixties, eh.......
I use ziplock freezer quart bags.
a little thicker skin.
Fill one with wetwipes which always come in handy, my shirt sleeve-less friends.
The other chock full of paper towels. Blow ur nose, stuff a wound, and back up TP.

Tweezers come in handy......tick and splinter removal, and on occasion have made it possible to untie a stubborn knot that my fingers couldn't loosen.

Cushioned camo'd stadium style seat help me be comfortable longer and able to sit still long enough to wait out a stubborn turkey without spooking him with movement, and keeps my keester dry as well.

Compass for sure. Extra batteries and extra headlamp. Those have saved my bacon in some pretty sketchy scenes.
Also ditto on tape. One time on the Colorado River we had to splint a fractured leg (not my own) with my crazy creek chair and duct tape. Electrical tape would have been better.
I've also sewn up ripped packs and harnesses with dental floss and a big needle. Not sure if it saved my bacon but saved a lot of headaches.

A can of kroils once and black electrical tape once.

duct tape. opening morning last year. hiked in a few miles (through the snow), got to the top to our glassing spot. Got situated with the binocs, looked down at my boots for some reason, damn sole was literally about to fall completely off. what the crap, I know I have had these boots for about 15 years but they are good boots. well, several wraps with duct tape, and on with the hunt we went. killed a good bull that day. foot got a little wet, but no big deal. a lot better than it could have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back