Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Times a cheap piece of equipment saved a hunt, or my hide.

Tweezers come in handy......tick and splinter removal, and on occasion have made it possible to untie a stubborn knot that my fingers couldn't loosen.

Cushioned camo'd stadium style seat help me be comfortable longer and able to sit still long enough to wait out a stubborn turkey without spooking him with movement, and keeps my keester dry as well.
Got one you recommend? Stadium seat that is.

Last edited:
Got one you recommend? Stadium seat that is.
Purchased two styles many years ago. One is a greener camo than the other, although I don't think it really matters as most times I'm up against a tree or deep in the shrubs. The one that I use more often has a "self inflating" buttpad which over time slowly loses its air cushion. I need to open the valve and let it re-inflate hourly.

One thing that is quite helpful is both styles have adjustable straps on the back rest. This allows me to adjust the amount of uprightness needed due to the slope of the land I'm hiding on.

Foam ear plugs.... A partner sleeping in the tent with you who snores will wish you had some. I never leave home without them, whether traveling for work ( noisy hotels by freeways) or backpacking.

Roll of electrical tape and some TP was what I needed to stop a pretty good knife wound 7.5 miles from the truck when I slipped up while boning out my bull in 2015. Stuck my Havalon pretty deep into the base of my thumb.

Compass has saved me, first aid kit has saved me and others, spare bootlace has been employed as needed.

I always carry one of those disposable rain ponchos and a waterproof container of wooden matches. I haven’t had to use them yet, but I’m sure someday I’ll be glad I have them.

A 10ft or so long piece of paracord I carry in all my packs and truck has saved me many of times. Lots of uses in a pinch

Duct Tape. From bandaids to psuedo rope in a pinch. Duct Tape has been a base camp savior in so many situations...
I too carry duct tape. Camouflage of course. Patched up floats on raft and used it to hold up a dry Bag to make a day 10 shower once too.

I have found several reasons for a caribeaner. I carry an extra for my safety harness but have used it for everything else too.

Last edited:
Tenacious tape saved a cut in dads waders while on moose hunt in Quebec. On that same hunt wished for a can of starter fluid. All hunts and fishing trips where dealing with small engines i carry some and haven't had a problem since.
On that same moose hunt hit bull and he went out into water and swam around and went under. Paracord saved the day but as I threw it around antlers I did have thought that it could have been the thing that ruined the hunt as a nice 1200 lb anchor cord to a 12ft row boat. Ratchet strap that got the moose out of water saved us also but was a big pain as moved moose about 2 inches out only to have it slide back 1 3/4 inches as we reset strap. Don't know how the little Charlie Brown pine tree stayed in ground as we used it as our anchor point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back