Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A Tale of Two Silky Saws - Gomboy vs Bigboy

Islander

I've been carrying the Silky Gomboy this year for backpack hunts. I recently ordered a Bigboy for my wife to use in the yard. After trying it out, I bought one for myself and will pack it instead of the Gomboy for all but the most ultralight camping. Why? It is so much more saw for not much more weight.

Gomboy definitely takes up less room in your pack, about 9" vs the Bigboy at 16". I run an Exo 6400 backpack, so plenty of room for almost anything. But weight is still a deciding factor on what gear to carry.
20200804_191141.jpg

Bigboy has a huge 14-1/5-inch (360 mm) blade. Gomboy has an 8-1/4-inch (210 mm) blade.
20200804_191235.jpg

Now for the surprising part, the weight.

Gomboy weighs 8.4 oz, pretty good considering how much work you can do with this mighty midget saw.
20200804_191338.jpg

Bigboy weighs an amazingly low 15.7 oz, so much saw in a package less than a pound. Why only 7 oz more than the Gomboy? The Bigboy frame is aluminum, while the Gomboy is stainless steel.
20200804_191412.jpg

If you aren't hot camping and only using a fire for fun, the Gomboy will work just fine. If you need to easily make a ton of wood or do some bushcrafting, the Bigboy gives you tremendous capability in a relatively lightweight package.

Really you can't go wrong with any Silky saw. But it's nice to know that you can get such a capable beast for under a pound.

I have no affiliation with this company and bought both saws with my own funds.

Last edited:
No Katana Boy 650?

1%20Battle%20of%20Saws%20Photo%20Jason%20Livingston.jpg

Looks like a Corona only not as good.

Shut your filthy mouth! :LOL: Seriously, Corona are good tools. I prefer the made in Japan Silkys over the made in Mexico Corona. The Japanese are world leaders in saw technology, and their Silky saws demonstrate it every time I use one.

I took a katana boy 650 and gomboy with me last year! More just to see my hunting partners face when I pulled out the katana boy. The look on his face was worth the extra weight 3 miles in!

I use silky saws every day for work, there is not a saw on the market that will come close to cutting ability and hold up half as long as the silky. Period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back