Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A Really Screwed Up Colorado Law

Oak- From the proclamation...
If you’re not a resident of Utah, you cannot apply for a CWMU permit in the public drawing. You can, however, obtain a permit voucher directly from the CWMU landowner or operator.

I'm not very familiar with CO's booklets, but don't they advertise the RFW properties as seperate units? Do the maps show it this way?

Rosco- I can think of nearly half a dozen CWMU's that have public land within their boundaries. It's not uncommon.

Last edited:
Thanks 1_p. I'm not that familiar with UT. CO does not show RFW properties as seperate units on the map in the booklet. In fact, those properties are not identified at all on the published map. You have to go to the website and pull up individual maps of the RFW properties to see where they are located.

Fin, would politely call or write colorado and let them know what you think. and then you should let them know that you will be putting this into one of your TV shows so people will not be getting ripped off when they draw this type tag. maybe they would change the law sooner than later if they thought they would be getting bad press due to this assinine law. starting to think chicago politicians are spreading through out the country. they have anyone named daley running things out there?:(

Unreal

I'm at least a 5th generation Colorado resident... this is the dumbest sh#t I've heard in a while. It's our public land! Fin, if I were you I'd take Idaho Bugler and hunt the shit out of it just for fun (no filming- just enjoy your hunt in CO). I don't see that rule in the regulation brochure (I hope it's not in there), I'm not gonna follow it. As for me, if I ever find myself in your situation, I'll play stupid and say I've never heard that before in my life. Now, I'm a straight and narrow guy, but that rule is WRONG and everybody knows it.

I also think there should be access to all publicly owned lands. Some type of right-of-ways should be established to use them... but that's not going to happen.

I would be happy to sign a petition.

On MY public lands, places I DO NOT need permission to be on, areas my taxes pay for... I'll be there (don't need permission & I won't ask for it). And I won't be asking for forgiveness. I'll simply play dumb. Really, how many people know that rule? Fin just came across it by doing the right thing and getting filming permits.

A little more than 40 years ago, there were also laws- telling people other than white they had to drink from a different water fountain, sit in a special area on a bus, go to different schools, etc... You break the rules for the right reason.

It's hard to compare hunting on public land to Jim Crow laws, but the idea is still the same.

I'm not rich, public land is all I've got... and people have taken it away from me/us.

OA- Do as you will, but I will not jeopardize my privledge/ability just to thumb my nose at a law I don't like. Regardless of who owns the land, the state can set hunting boundaries and seasons as they see fit. Heck, why don't I just take for tag for unit 35 and hunt in 54? It's all federal land...right? ;)

Pointer,

I agree...and also disagree.

I agree that the states are within the guidelines to set hunting district boundaries, license fees, etc.

But, where I believe their authority should stop, or at least be severely limited, is when they pass state hunting laws that exclude tax payers from using federal lands. For instance, the wyoming wilderness guide law, guaranteed outfitter permits, or this latest regulation. Completely ridiculous and just another give away to ONE special interest...and frankly, this type of BS has got to stop.

I'm of the opinion any more that if the public can not access a parcel of land locked public land, then NOBODY should have any access to it, period. That includes ranchers grazing cattle on it, outfitters using it, etc. Its simply not right for a select few to be in total control of and have exclusive use of lands owned by the public.

Cali,

Yes it is good that the states control the game. However, they should stick to managing game and leave federal land issues alone.

No reason for them to be passing state hunting laws that effect access to (federal) public lands.

What a crock of fertilizer!!!!...obviously many resident and nonresident hunters are not even aware of this?
Like mentioned above...I think this would be a GREAT informative piece to include in an OYOA show...I mean, this site is all about OYO...and information to help OYO hunters.
This kind of stuff needs to be brought out to the public...that's the only way it will ever change. Get that petition running online here...one for each state and let's get some awareness going...one thing for sure if the wildlife depts of the states thought it was going to have a negative effect on their revenues...sh%t would start to change fast.
I still havent figured out who on these forums are the proprietors of the site...but there is a lot you could do to help build public awareness through blurbs on the show about these situations.

rosco- I wish I had enough money to buy gas to make it out of state, much less hunt out of state.

1pointer- You're right, where do you draw the line. I would hate to lose my hunting and fishing rights. Like I said before, I'm a straight&narrow guy and am following the rules all the time (almost always). What makes this different is that it is wrong! I know it, you know it, everybody knows it. That is why I feel like I must "respectfully ignore" this one- but again, where do you draw the line. I guess the safest thing to do is hunt away from the RFW units.

I just hope there will not be any RFW deals popping up around my area sucking up our public land (I don't know if that's possible or what it takes to do it)- that would hurt.

Fin,
I would be great if you could add something to your show about this subject, but networks and sponsors are not in the business of politics fo obvious reasons. I would REALLY like to see this law go away but not at your expense.
As nice as it would be to get the word out to alot of hunters at once it may not be worth risking everything you have worked so hard for. (not to mention I am looking forward to more shows)
Maybe try one of the other approaches first and then consider network and sponsors.

4blade

Yep! Welcome to Colorado! I hope you get something figured out so you can still hunt? Where is this land in question? That is not the only screwed up rule that raises my blood pressure but I will save those for later posts!! Good Luck!

Buzz-

I'm glad that we can agree to agree and disagree! ;) I can't/won't support a rule limiting use of public lands by those with legal access to it...but agree everything else.

OA- I see our views are not too terribly different. Yeah the rule sucks, but one person breaking it will not fix it. A better way would be for some residents to research all avenues of legal access and take it to the F&G to point out the problems.

As amazing as it is I am not surprised. You would have not known at all had you not applied for the filming permit.

This is just another of the very many hurdles we as "on our own adventurers" have to deal with. There is a real bias here.

I personally feel that there should not be a piece of public land that does not have a public easement or right away. I know this is not specific to this problem but it is part of the whole dilema we face in trying to access our public grounds that are being used to a select few for private gain.

There goes the blood pressure! :mad:

Last edited:
First trip out West, around 35 years ago,had a ranch foreman show up at our campsite and say if you cross that fence again you will be arrested for felony tresspass. I said that is my fugging land and I will cross that fence, without harming it and the E/W fence there without hurting it to hunt MY land. He said you dont know where you are. I said I will show you the GLO line mark we found and the section corner we found and show you how to read a fuggin map. Call the sheriff and see who wins ultimately and who pays whose legal costs. I then asked if he wanted to see the BLM maps I had in my hand and tell me that the two of us who had been in the surveying business for 20 years didn't know what the #*^@#* we were doing. We continued to hunt.
It is fugging ridiculous that we can't hunt our land!!! BTW, kilt my 14" Wyo antelope that evening on MY property!
G&F and state legislators getting in collusion with ranchers and outfitters to deny us access is a crime but they are doing it....MT may be worst!

Last edited:
First trip out West, around 35 years ago,had a ranch foreman show up at our campsite and say if you cross that fence again you will be arrested for felony tresspass. I said that is my fugging land and I will cross that fence, without harming it and the E/W fence there without hurting it to hunt MY land. He said you dont know where you are. I said I will show you the GLO line mark we found and the section corner we found and show you how to read a fuggin map. Call the sheriff and see who wins ultimately and who pays whose legal costs. I then asked if he wanted to see the BLM maps I had in my hand and tell me that the two of us who had been in the surveying business for 20 years didn't know what the {EDITED NOW} we were doing. We continued to hunt.
It is fugging ridiculous that we can't hunt our land!!! BTW, kilt my 14" Wyo antelope that evening on MY property!
G&F and state legislators getting in collusion with ranchers and outfitters to deny us access is a crime but they are doing it....MT may be worst!

Another f-word without being edited?

Back