Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A Proclamation of Love For A River Bottom

If your brother won't sell, you might try a lever gun. One in a pistol cartridge like .38-40 or .44-40 is very easy to carry. Check out some vintage Marlin 94s or Winchester 92s. Muzzleloaders excell too. Great job and excellent story.

If your brother won't sell, you might try a lever gun. One in a pistol cartridge like .38-40 or .44-40 is very easy to carry. Check out some vintage Marlin 94s or Winchester 92s. Muzzleloaders excell too. Great job and excellent story.

I've got a model 94 in .44 mag I have shot a couple mule deer with. It would be a fun gun to have in that stuff.
I'm curious why you guys all seem bent on hunting river bottoms with shotguns. Too many houses?

I just did it for fun.

Fine buck there!

I spent the weekend trying to jump whitetails as well. Never seen so many butts on the move. Agreed that they’d certainly win at checkers. Their “nope, I’m outta here and not even curious about what caused that noise” instinct for self preservation is admirable.

Well done! Great write up of another Nameless journey! A valued appreciation in each of your hunt experiences you let us follow along.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. One of a few Hunt Talk members who expresses, in writing, hunting, as it should be experienced.

I can relate to this story in every sense. Coming off five days of whitetail in the big woods of Northern Minnesota and not seeing an antler, I am dreaming of sitting in a western creek bottom and feeling the excitement that comes with the sound of a buck chasing that doe I just watched sneak by.

Thanks for sharing this on HT.

Now, if Delta can find a seat for me, I’ll be one day closer to doing just that.

I can relate to this story in every sense. Coming off five days of whitetail in the big woods of Northern Minnesota and not seeing an antler, I am dreaming of sitting in a western creek bottom and feeling the excitement that comes with the sound of a buck chasing that doe I just watched sneak by.

Thanks for sharing this on HT.

Now, if Delta can find a seat for me, I’ll be one day closer to doing just that.
how many wolf tracks did you cut in the fresh snow ?

Fine buck there!

I spent the weekend trying to jump whitetails as well. Never seen so many butts on the move. Agreed that they’d certainly win at checkers. Their “nope, I’m outta here and not even curious about what caused that noise” instinct for self preservation is admirable.

Takes some serious skills and self control to hunt like that. I lack the former in particular :)

Another time to do this is in a howling blizzard when deer will pack into tight, thick ravines. White camo and you are good to go...

(You can use your Frosty the Snowman or Ghost Busters Doughboy costumes if need be :) )

Takes some serious skills and self control to hunt like that. I lack the former in particular :)
The self control bit is the hardest. I’d sit for an hour then get up to move and hidden does would scatter immediately.

It was wild watching how spooky they actually are. On two separate occasions I watched does spook at the sound and movement of snow falling out of trees when the sun hit.

This thread got me jazzed up enough that I spent a good chunk of time on OnX today trying to figure out some more river bottom options near town that I could hit up using other than archery implements. Didn’t come up with much though.

A pretty spot that affords multiple opportunities to get on whitetails with each visit, while still-hunting (or tracking) sounds pretty much like Heroin, to me... Congrats!

Also, your mention of Kelly Island brought back some fun memories for me (like the time I caught a two foot long brown trout with my hands...while duck hunting). I definitely spent some time there!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back