A poorly filmed wolf experience

I have been thinking of coyote barbacoa if I ever manage to call one in.

This was awesome. In a very real way, I think having the camera solely on you instead of the wolf, made it better. Sort of related to the concept of the book always being better than the movie, because the book allows you to imagine what is happening. Your raw excitement were the words of the book, the empty chamber being a pretty hilarious chapter.

So cool Thanks for sharing and congrats!

As an update to the cooking part, since we edited this video a couple weeks ago, I have heard back from two wildlife disease ecologists. They have given me some articles to read and provided some research about the risks of eating carnivores. There are some spooky latin names in those diseases that could be present, but it seems that it can be mitigated by cooking temps.

Some of those listed diseases are not transmitted via meat, rather feces, which if I had contracted one of those diseases the symptoms would have been present by now. I wore gloves and was very careful when I skinned it, as I am with the coyotes, fox, and bobcats that I shoot/trap. Witnesses to my behavior might be saying, "That explains why he is the way he is."

When I get back from the next hunt we will thaw the backstraps and eat them. We will film it and post the results. If you are around Bozeman and don't mind mingling outside, wearing masks, and staying 6' apart, you will be welcome to give it a try.

If we can't make the backstraps edible, I suspect the hinds and front would be a lost cause.
Fin, some bushmen cooked some hyena blackstrap in some sort of a sweet sour sauce. The sauce was not too bad. The blackstrap tasted sort of like...hyena....

good job i live in michigan a all of the wolves eat the deer in the up so there are no deer up there

I just watched it and was really surprised at the like/dislike ratio. Maybe shooting wolves isn't as controversial as it used to be?? Or maybe the animal rights people are too busy hazing someone else at the moment?

Either way, Randy, your excitement was genuine and your respect for the animal was above reproof, as always.

As an update to the cooking part, since we edited this video a couple weeks ago, I have heard back from two wildlife disease ecologists. They have given me some articles to read and provided some research about the risks of eating carnivores. There are some spooky latin names in those diseases that could be present, but it seems that it can be mitigated by cooking temps.

Some of those listed diseases are not transmitted via meat, rather feces, which if I had contracted one of those diseases the symptoms would have been present by now. I wore gloves and was very careful when I skinned it, as I am with the coyotes, fox, and bobcats that I shoot/trap. Witnesses to my behavior might be saying, "That explains why he is the way he is."

When I get back from the next hunt we will thaw the backstraps and eat them. We will film it and post the results. If you are around Bozeman and don't mind mingling outside, wearing masks, and staying 6' apart, you will be welcome to give it a try.

If we can't make the backstraps edible, I suspect the hinds and front would be a lost cause.
This tag was on one of the wolves killed in WI yesterday. I suspect the tag is a generic tag typically used for tracking deer, elk, etc. But the guy that got the wolf laughed when he read the tag for sure...635879084.jpg

Last year I shot a wolf while out looking mostly to fill a whitetail doe tag. As luck would have it, I didn't have a camera operator with me. So, I just turned on my cell phone and recorded some of my blabbering while it was happening.

The footage has been on my phone for a year. I showed it to Dale the other day and he said he would make something interesting from it. OK, knock yourself out.

Here is what he came up with. I am ready for all the heckling as people see me pull the rookie move of not putting a round in the chamber.

No worries on the rookie move. Safety first.
Better we laugh at you, then bury you. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back