A Message to Kentucky Deer Hunters

nut- What's wrong with being a Hoosier?? I didn't think it was too bad, but now I'm a Utard! ;)

DKO- I've been seeing the same thing happen in SW IN. It's not the outfitters driving up the prices, it just pure supply and demand. There isn't all that much left that's not cornfields or subdivisions. So, what is left is bringing some $$. I've seen unreclaimed coal country going for $1000/ac!

The great thing about whitetails is that HUGE tracts aren't necessarily needed. I know of one buck shot two yrs ago that just missed B&C that was shot in less than 1ac of woods!

Originally posted by DKO:
Chas, it costs me more to hunt in my backyard than it does for me to fly to my farm in kentucky and hunt there! ........seems you just a little pissy about your own states inability to properly manage their deer herds. Ky is relatively cheap to hunt and has an abundance of quality public land to hunt on. It would probably be easier to find a huge buck in a small woodlot next to wally world in kentucky than in half the state of Mass.
Not my half of MA!! The western section of MA offers plenty of 200lb bucks. The lack of minerials is the only reason MA doesn't have the record book bucks.

Hunter opportunity is more responsible for the shape of the herds in MA. Lack of Sunday hunting, posted property, subdivided farmland and neighboring states offering more opportunities. This combined with a legislator that attempted to steal ALL of our land acquisition monies by transferring them to the general funds has soured many residents to look elsewhere.
Yes, I get "pissy" about ANY state that puts dollars above the opinions of the wildlife biologists hired to manage. I get more "pissy" with hunters that say oh well, that's the way it is.

dollars are at the root here for the state and the landowners, its findin an acceptable balance thats tough! so some see non-residents as stimulants to the economy and some see them as the reason they cant hunt the property they grew-up on!

Ask anyone who hunts CT about the lack of opportunities up until about 5 yrs ago. The word hunting was just about cause to be hung. It has taken an inbalance of such proportion that in the southern section of CT it's a common sight to see 60-80 deer on front lawns daily. Primarily in the land that gave us.....Lyme Disease!! It shouldn't take a disaster to change attitudes or acceptance. What it WILL take is those of us residents interested in more than our own satisfaction to speak up!!
soapbox.gif

just my .02

Yes, I get "pissy" about ANY state that puts dollars above the opinions of the wildlife biologists hired to manage.
If a state (mine, for example, but any will do) sets its non-resident fees to the same level as its resident fees, do you think that non-residents would help with management issues? How many non-residents do you think will come to Kentucky just to shoot does? One of the biggest complaints about NR's now is that they all want to come and shoot a buck, and leave the management "clean up" to someone else (i.e., the locals). Many residents begin to get resentful because they try to follow the managers' plan (shooting more does, waiting years for older animals, or whatever), just to see someone else negate it all by driving across the line, whacking a buck, and driving home.

I don't want to sound like a generalist; I know that the non-residents I've hunted with in recent years aren't afraid of a little Doe Carnage. ;) I know DKO puts work into his hunting grounds. But I know a whole lot more just drive in, whack something with antlers, and drive out. If that's the case, how much help are they going to give to manangement? In other words, you're right that making things easier for NR's COULD help with management issues, but I'm not sure that it WILL. I know most residents would see it as less opportunity for them rather than a management advantage.

On second thought, maybe one of the moderators SHOULD move this sucker to SI. We're moving into minor marathon territory.
soapbox.gif

Darren, 2-3 of these tasty little ladies find their way into my freezer every year, ive owned my land for three years i have taken 7 deer off the place and not of them was a buck!

157068.jpg

management works.....it takes hunter commitment and time to allow it to work...most hunters are to impaitent to allow management practices....to reach their full potential.

Chas, im nat saying roll-over and take it! i hope for your sake and all other new england hunters sake, that someone gets into office that change the states stance on these issues. Frustrating, im sure!

all of new england gets a bad rap about not having big bucks, i call B.S. im from maine and have seen quite a few book bucks, there may not be as many as the mid-west but they are there, Benoits have been whackin-em for years!

good luck and keep fightin for whats yours!

I pretty much agree with that DG. Look at the # of NR that hunt CO for elk, yet they still are having a tough time getting folks to shoot enough cows. I'm thinking the $$ they're charging for the tags are a bit of a deterrent.

Maybe Val Geist was on to something when he suggested that all hunters must submit the jawbones from 10 does before they are able to harvest a buck!

I not trying to be portenious, just seen this so many times with so many states. Blow their horn, point to the B&C or showcase a picture of a monster RACK!! If you want the REAL proof that management works watch PA. With the program initiated 3(?)yrs ago of nothing short of 8ptrs taken(legally), more doe tags issued, AND the community acceptance of non-residents, I would expect long-range success in balancing the herd STATE-WIDE.
MA contains one of the largest reservoirs in the country. Prior to 1990, there was vertually no legal hunting anywhere near the water. By that time, you could stand 1 mile away from the water ans have a clear view to the water!! EVERYTHING green from 15' down was eaten out. This land contains over 15 townships consisting of FARMLAND and primary pasture(overgrown). The half-aas program initiated takes $5.00 from over 40,000 applicants and issues 1,000 permits. No planting to illiminate pressure, no herd counts, NO MANAGEMENT!! I even kept the quote from the rectalized cranium that suggested that once the herd was lower to where they wanted it, they would simply kick the hunters off the land again. Too bad, because my suggestion of using existing pastures(with completed stonewalls) as feed stations, existing personnel for herd counts, existing equipment for maintainance this area COULD and WOULD become a world-class area within 10 yrs. Total estimated costs for the program was less than $50,000 per year.
Resource management used to be built in to the annual state budget. Some states(MA) even bought and held large tracts(now state forest& WMA) where hunting was PROHIBITED. These areas were allowed to return to mature forest growth or managed for wildlife habitat.
It can be done again, just takes the right people in office, and the rest looking over their shoulder when they WRITE A CHECK!!!

Chas

So much hostility towards Hoosiers. Didn't realize that there were still so many boys still hurting from some of the butt whippings they received from Bobby Knight and his teams.

If a state (mine, for example, but any will do) sets its non-resident fees to the same level as its resident fees, do you think that non-residents would help with management issues? How many non-residents do you think will come to Kentucky just to shoot does?

Well I think I know someone who would

I don't want to sound like a generalist; I know that the non-residents I've hunted with in recent years aren't afraid of a little Doe Carnage.

HAHAHAHA...sounds like you know someone who would
hump.gif

Woo hoo! Sitting in that stand started me day dreaming too. With the cooler weather and the doe coming through under the stand (with me not particularly trying to be quiet, just checking the view ;) )...the huntin' switch is now in the ON position. :D

Flipper, I moved the buddy stand to a new location...you're going to be all alone again. I hope you can stand the solitude.

Not all NR hunters are like that. I have hunted Ky for years and I kill my share of does there to. I do my best to fill my doe tags in all the states I hunt. I hunt private land or farms and the land owners ask me to shoot does, and im happy to. I wont shoot a buck under 125" scoreable points.( I juge the best I can in the field).

I also do my share to take care of the deer herd there, I put out food plots every year. I take very good care of the farmers that let me hunt. Helping out when ever needed. Respect goes a long way on both sides of the fence! But compared to most places I hunt Ky licence are fair priced.

Kee

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back