Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A Lot BIGGER Than A Bluegill Anyway...

Big Sky

I had a very good summer and was super spoiled by being able to go to Alaska for a few days.

This yellow eye was a bucket list fish. These fish are very old and we were only allowed to have one. I was grateful to catch one as many people on the charter boats never had a chance at one.
Troy-Adams-6-15-21-B.jpg

I felt even more lucky when I landed this halibut that was big enough to join the Barn Door Club. He was over 100 lbs. We caught a lot of fish while up there including king salmon, china rockfish, and black rockfish. The only thing I regretted was not staying longer. It was really hard to get on the plane to fly home!
Troy-Adams-6-15-21-A.jpg

I had a very good summer and was super spoiled by being able to go to Alaska for a few days.

This yellow eye was a bucket list fish. These fish are very old and we were only allowed to have one. I was grateful to catch one as many people on the charter boats never had a chance at one.
Troy-Adams-6-15-21-B.jpg

I felt even more lucky when I landed this halibut that was big enough to join the Barn Door Club. He was over 100 lbs. We caught a lot of fish while up there including king salmon, china rockfish, and black rockfish. The only thing I regretted was not staying longer. It was really hard to get on the plane to fly home!
Troy-Adams-6-15-21-A.jpg
SOME GOOD EATING THERE!!!! Love me some Rokfish.

I will never come home if I am lucky enough to get up there!
I will disappear into the wilderness never to be seen again. 💥
I can relate with how you feel. If I were younger I would find a way to stay. At my age I'm afraid that ship has sailed, but at least I can still visit Alaska from time to time.

I can relate with how you feel. If I were younger I would find a way to stay. At my age I'm afraid that ship has sailed, but at least I can still visit Alaska from time to time.
I know a guy that has a cabin for sale up there. 😉

Never did Rockfish but I sure do like big butts! Bet that was a battle getting it to the surface.

@Big Sky when I first moved to Alaska in 2011 we had a plane that got cancelled and on board we found out was fresh - never frozen rock fish. The company couldn't take it back because we had handled it, it had sat on the plane for a bit, etc. And the company couldn't get it for their party because all of that region of SE Alaska was socked in. They refunded the purchaser and donated the fish to the small crew that was left at the airport. It was some of the best eating fish I've had. FANTASTIC.

@Big Sky when I first moved to Alaska in 2011 we had a plane that got cancelled and on board we found out was fresh - never frozen rock fish. The company couldn't take it back because we had handled it, it had sat on the plane for a bit, etc. And the company couldn't get it for their party because all of that region of SE Alaska was socked in. They refunded the purchaser and donated the fish to the small crew that was left at the airport. It was some of the best eating fish I've had. FANTASTIC.
I bet it was. You were in the right place at the right time!

Troy-Adams-6-15-21-B.jpg

I
Do the yellow eye taste good? Looks like a cross between a goldfish and a large mouth bass! Cool fish!

I lived in Alaska for a while but truth is I prefer Montana. Lived up there several years just off Flathead Lake in Lakeside. I do miss Montana!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back