Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A little rabbit hunting

RUT JUNKEY

I took yesterday off from work while the snow is still on the ground and took my beagle "BO" out for the afternoon. Its like I step back in time when I'm out chasing rabbits with him. I use to hunt rabbits a ton when I was young all the way up through high school, I just don't get out as often anymore. We had a great time and I even killed a couple . . .I could have limited out early, but, let Bo chase a while and he lost a couple in the deep snow. . .but we had a great time and he was piled up in the truck on the way home. . .we were both a little tired. I have some pics, but, for some reason my work computer will no longer let me upload any pics.:(

Very nice! I bet it's been at least 15yrs since I chased rabbits with a beagle. Dad and grandpa Joe always had beagles growing up. Hunting rabbits was a very cherished time. Changes in farming practices really put a hurt on the rabbits in their old spots and the trains started going to fast in the others...

Hope you can get the pics up!

I remember growing up, I was the beagle! :) Rabbit hunting is just plain fun. Now a days I multi task while looking for em: exercise/shed hunt/practice at the “in woods” archery range/shoot at cotton tails. I carry judo points in case I see them at the range. Best part is, my wife and kids love slow cooked cotton tail (just be sure to remove the rib bones first)!

Attachments

• rabbit 2.jpg
    rabbit 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 420
BB33, I remember the days of being the beagle! My dad and grandpa use to take me when I was very young and I guess I made enough noise screwing around breaking sticks and yelling everytime a thorn got me, that they did pretty good.:) Ive never taken my bow, but, that would be a blast. I did limit out one day about 3 years ago with a .22 Ruger. . .I was with 3 other friends and wasn't really interested in killing any but went for the BS talking and the walk in the woods. The rabbits were coming up early and would run way ahead and stop so I'd just pop them with the Ruger. . . something different I guess. Tuesday I was impressed with how many rabbits I saw given the huge population of coyotes and now we are seeing a few bobcats in the area on trail cams and a few getting killed on the roads. In the last 5 or 6 years we have been getting bobcats hit on some of the roads and such, I'm guessing the have been re introduced. . but DNR is saying no. . .just seems odd how many all of the sudden. Its good, I think they have their place, and they are very pretty cats.

While living in MO we had some awesome rabbit beagles. My entire family misses listening to the race. Now that we are out west we just walk along the tracks. Job well done and enjoy the rabbit dinner.

Attachments

• Snap 2013-01-10 at 05.33.52.jpg
    Snap 2013-01-10 at 05.33.52.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 367
Rut- Interesting with the bobcats. I know they are definitely increasing in number around my cabin in So. IN. Lots more sightings of them the past few years and the neighbor's kid trapped one this year. His story about letting it go is pretty funny! I'm wonderin if the cats are just naturally distributing now that there are getting to be more of them?

Rut- Interesting with the bobcats. I know they are definitely increasing in number around my cabin in So. IN. Lots more sightings of them the past few years and the neighbor's kid trapped one this year. His story about letting it go is pretty funny! I'm wonderin if the cats are just naturally distributing now that there are getting to be more of them?

could be, but, it just seems like the are everywhere all of the sudden. It is pretty rough country over here lots of huge sections of thick timber, so, its perfect for them for sure. I bet releasing that out of a trap was a trick. I caught an old wild barn cat once. . .he might as well have been a cougar. . .like to tore me to shreds. . .also caught an owl once, he was not happy and a real trick getting him out for sure!!

I saw one of the biggest bobcats I have ever seen deer hunting in the Hoosier National Forest this year.....around Birdseye/English Indiana.....every deer in the woods started blowing when he came buy.

The days of hunting jackrabbits were some of the most fun I ever had. Luckily they do not seem to be so prolific as they used to be. I know somebody here knows, but didn't/don't they run in cycles, every X years?

I saw one of the biggest bobcats I have ever seen deer hunting in the Hoosier National Forest this year.....around Birdseye/English Indiana.....every deer in the woods started blowing when he came buy.
You weren't too far from my cabin! It's near the town of Taswell. Depending on well you know that area, it's near the old quarries about 3 miles east of Pappy's. Small world.

IIRC jacks run in cycles of about 7 years. I know in NW UT they were on the 'up' part of the cycle in 2006. I shot a lot of them that summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back