A little disappointed in Region Y

lastmountainman

Just got back from Buffalo Wyoming last week from this years mulie hunt. I had planned on hunting for up to 8 days. After the first four days of hunting I was avg. over 7 miles a day. I was really trying to get off the beaten paths. In the first four days I saw two very small bucks and a ton of does. I was not looking for anything huge, just something nice.

I ended up filling my doe antolope tag on the 3rd day. On the fifth day I took my dad out to find an antolope doe for him as well. We ended up both shooting our mule deer within a half mile of the truck. I shot a 4 X 2 buck and he shot one of the does. I know that hunting the second week of the season has it downfalls, but I like to hunt after the big rush when there are less hunters to worry about. Was it just me or was the overall size down this year in region Y. I would love to see some of your mulies from this year. I can't seem to get my pic onto this post for some reason.

Attachments

• 2012 Trip 034.jpg
    2012 Trip 034.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,092
Nothing wrong with hunting hard and bringing a nice deer home. Congrats to you and your dad. thanks for sharing....

Sounds like sucess to me, no need to be disappointed. Got to hunt with your dad, shot a nice buck and got meat in the freezer.

I am a novice mule deer hunter, and I have hunted Region Y 4 times now (3 rifle / 1 archery) and I seem to learn more each time I am out there. You have to remember Region Y is just about the easiest region in WY to draw a tag, there is a reason for that (big deer are really tough to get), and from what I have seen out there you did pretty dang good.

This last trip was the first time I have hunted the BLM and state land off of the mountain, and we had a very difficult time finding any where we could walk into that a truck or ATV hunter couldn't get to as well. I believe this is the biggest factor in our not finding any mature deer.

My feeling is that Region Y is becoming the "go to" place for nonresidents to hunt public land, and the majority of them head for all of the BLM in the southern end of the region or up on tops of the mountain. I have yet to see a trophy deer taken by either of these groups with a rifle, not to say it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it. I think if you want a chance at a 165+ deer in Region Y you are going to get them 1 of 2 ways: Ranch or drive up onto the mountain and then bail off into the deepest, darkest canyon you can find, sit on a clearing all week long, and try to be awake for the 2 minutes a bruiser walks into it as it will probably be your only chance at him.

Send me a PM. I am glad to share any other insight I can.

BLM Deer (this year):
Ross' Muley 2012.jpeg

Bighorns Deer (2009 and 2010):
picture.php

picture.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back