A healthy forest photo

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
This is the upper White River. I know it looks drastically different now. Ron Mills' stomping grounds.

That's a hell of a picture.

I've got a handful of places I frequent that are somewhat similar, but never that flat, and rarely that green. Seems like twenty years ago that's what all my favorite whitetail spots looked like, or at least that's what my memory has turned them all in to.

If a guy could reincarnate as a ponderosa in Western Montana, I think he'd be doing pretty good for himself.

Last edited:
Pretty pony JLS. You never forget good mountain horses. mtmuley

I bought him for $800 from a guy in Wolf Point. He was “green broke”. Tried to buck me off every time I rode him. I started him from the ground up for 30 days, then put about 85 miles on him on this trip. He was a damned good horse after that.

Old, healthy, well spaced pines have the ability to pitch out mountain pine beetles. They are still vulnerable in extreme prolonged periods of drought or when hit by a mass attack of thousands of pine beetles at once. Primm Meadows survived the latest MPB epidemic just fine.

Call the local forest service and ask them how that pine stand weathered the last pine beetle outbreak. I'm sure they can tell you.

Thank you for sharing. Ponderosa savannahs have always been one of my favorite forest in NA. It has always amazed me how similar they are to our longleaf pine savannahs. Unfortunately for us, without frequent fire the LL stands begin to fill in with hardwoods and shade out the understory. Here's a stock photo of a nice LL stand that has had fire in it.

Attachments

• Longleaf-pine-header_2280_1396_75_s_c1_c_c.jpg
    Longleaf-pine-header_2280_1396_75_s_c1_c_c.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 12
Doesn't look like there has been much encroachment into those stands.

Nope. Pretty much everything around it has burned. Think that fire was the year after I took the photo.

From the photos you took, there wasn't much encroachment previously either. Even looks like there may have been a fairly recent ground fire (dead saplings and fire scorched tree boles)?

Those stands are pretty awesome and resilient...

Thank you for sharing. Ponderosa savannahs have always been one of my favorite forest in NA. It has always amazed me how similar they are to our longleaf pine savannahs. Unfortunately for us, without frequent fire the LL stands begin to fill in with hardwoods and shade out the understory. Here's a stock photo of a nice LL stand that has had fire in it.
I like that photo as a Southron who has lived out west for 30 years, it still amazes me that sometime out here I can enter some woods and for just a moment I am positive that a covey of quail is gonna explode

Our stands had frequent low intensity fire, every 3-5 years. We still burn on that rotation and log to thin every 10-15 years.

This little guy road out a fire this week. Within a couple of weeks it will be a carpet of new greenery under it. The deer and turkeys flock to those areas

Attachments

• 20190320_140110.jpg
    20190320_140110.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back