A growing problem

I made $14/hr in college in Bozeman. Lived pretty comfortably. Now rent has tripled, the same decidedly NON-high end $100k condos I looked at in college are $500k condos, and guess how much DOT engineering interns make. Still $14/hr. Sure they can work at T Bell for more, but if they want a career as an engineer they have to get that work experience.

Maybe in some fields but I know for a fact you don't need a single internship to get a good job with an engineering degree these days. I interview new engineering grads pretty frequently. If you've got the right attitude, you're hired with a six figure compensation package fresh out of school.

I'm sure there are lots of examples that go both ways. I had a timber sale last year right outside of Atlanta. We had to clear a homeless camp before starting. 1 middle aged woman we removed was a victim of domestic abuse. She lived in a tent, showering in the campground, and worked a full time job at a local convenience store. She just didn't have many options when rent in the area is $1500-2000/month. It was heartbreaking to see her situation. Dealing with that has definitely made me think about the trajectory we are on.
Seeing women in this situation is especially tough for me. I suppose things vary depending on location. In my experience there are an abundance of women only shelters and groups that house and only work with women and children.
Usually when I talk with women on the street/living in camps the answer is they do not like the rules imposed by the shelters.
I'm not trying to say there are not tragic situations, hopefully that one is temporary.
In general, I think more often than not addiction and/or mental disorder is what keeps them on the streets.

Also, I usually have longer conversations asking about their situation. I've found almost all have a first story involving circumstances beyond their control, how it wasn't their fault. As we talk longer, and I ask a few questions they open up about drugs or alcohol.

Seeing women in this situation is especially tough for me. I suppose things vary depending on location. In my experience there are an abundance of women only shelters and groups that house and only work with women and children.
Usually when I talk with women on the street/living in camps the answer is they do not like the rules imposed by the shelters.
I'm not trying to say there are not tragic situations, hopefully that one is temporary.
In general, I think more often than not addiction and/or mental disorder is what keeps them on the streets.

Also, I usually have longer conversations asking about their situation. I've found almost all have a first story involving circumstances beyond their control, how it wasn't their fault. As we talk longer, and I ask a few questions they open up about drugs or alcohol.
I'm sure you are right. Most tragic stories don't just happen overnight.

Honestly, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with those situations all the time. But it was shocking to how rampant the problem over there was 1st hand.

Like has been mentioned in some previous posts, I live in Alabama, where the cost of living is low. We just dont see that kind of problem here. In a few of the bigger cities, but even they don't compare to Atlanta.

Maybe in some fields but I know for a fact you don't need a single internship to get a good job with an engineering degree these days. I interview new engineering grads pretty frequently. If you've got the right attitude, you're hired with a six figure compensation package fresh out of school.
Electrical and mechanical engineers start at 75k here in Denver

Some interesting thoughts on this subject in here....The thought that it's rentals like airbnb causing it, um, I'll have to disagree with that. When people are stating throwing money at it as the issue I agree with and the people who give street people money are a major part of the problem, these people on the street begging at off ramps....etc.etc. don't want to work and why would you if you can make a ton of cash with no taxes. I love the ones who drag the kids out in 100 degrees to get people to feel sorry for them.

I also agree there needs to be more laws and they need to be enforced. When I see beggars where they should not be, I call the local cops and they come shoo them away....thank god. There is even this dude who keeps showing up in the Target parking lot with prosthetic legs, sits under the trees in the shade and begs. you know what I do, I walk into Target, tell the manager and they go get rid of him. Of course he has I'm a vet on his sign I believe and I'll bet he's not a vet....another good one people try to use.

Hand outs are never going to help other than to the 10% that really need/want it.

Raising my taxes to give people who don’t belong here more free stuff that didn’t earn it? No thanks.

It’s embarrassing as a society that we’ve let this go on this long and allow our public spaces to be over run. That original article summarizes my views on the subject perfectly.

The AirBnB/VRBO scapegoat, I don’t buy it. Spineless politicians not serving their citizens/taxpayers are the actual problem.

Most of homeless fall into the 90/10 rule.
90% are there due to self induced problems and I have zero sympathy for. They are throw away people. You could give them 20k to start over and they would be back on the street, broke in a month.

10% caught a bad break/things out of their control.

Gotcha, willful ignorance.
There are obviously exceptions to every rule.

I bet most of you would be a lot more cynical against the homeless situation if it was a mile or two back into your favorite trail system. The thought of a surface sh*tter is enough to boil most of your blood, yet we let it go in front of Walmart because there’s some mental health components MAYBE going on. Hell, maybe I’ll just start being a slob in the back country and say, “ehh, I’ve dealt with some shit in my time I don’t feel like operating within the norms of society….also nice catalytic converter, be a shame if someone cut that off in the middle of the day.”

I think those of us who feel so strongly about it probably have had a lot more daily interaction with it. The couple years I’ve lived where it was a really serious problem.

Bodily fluids on the sidewalk

People doing drugs in public

Burned out stolen vehicles

Campers/RVs EVERYWHERE

Trash EVERYWHERE

Bum camps EVERYWHERE

It gets really old trying to raise a kid around all this crap.

Again, there are some who truly need help, but that DV victim isn’t out stealing catalytic converters for money. That schizophrenic off his meds isn’t on the corner picking and choosing what free meal is handed to him and throwing the rest of it in the bushes. That down on his luck vet isn’t accosting people for getting too close to his camp.

When the distinction can be made and the wrong truly be punished is when we can start to make progress. Until then, you’ll have engineering masterpieces of little cities like the ones built under the I5 south of Seattle. It’s ok for some of us to be pissed off about the situation, and it’s ok for some of you to think we’re being cold hearted.

Most of homeless fall into the 90/10 rule.
90% are there due to self induced problems and I have zero sympathy for. They are throw away people. You could give them 20k to start over and they would be back on the street, broke in a month.

10% caught a bad break/things out of their control.
Denver is starting handouts to 800 some homeless people in the amount of $12000. I pray they were intelligent enough to research the recipients and only give it to the 10%

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back