A few Montana oldies

zachthebowhunter

Not to hijack here, but just wanted to post a picture of a deer my grandpa shot eating his sandwich back in the 70's in Montana. Never scored it but its a damn good deer

Attachments

Last edited:

MTTW

My dad shot the wide buck at the beginning of this thread while eating his sandwich also. Maybe I should sit down to eat my lunch more while hunting. That is a sweet buck Zach.

MTTW

IMG_0001.jpg

I thought it would be fun to illustrate the power of black and white.

public land Montana 2003

IMG.jpg

Elkhunter24

awesome pictures and thank you for sharing some of your families past with us!

JBS

Wow, I am not sure if is that the picture is zoomed in or the black and white but the black and white picture makes the bucks look much bigger to me.

MTTW

Yes, the original picture was too far away and those plastic gas jugs look like pollution.

I am about out of good oldies, someone else needs to step up. This oldies forum doesn't get enough action.

elkrchr

Great photos MTTW! Thanks for sharing. Not many hunters took a lot of photos (any photos for that matter) back in the day. I sure do enjoy viewing the photos that are still around in someones old photo album/shoe box.

Jamen

Very nice pictures! I will have to try and track down some of my grandpa if I can. I miss deer camp growing up we would all show up at the "Smoke Shack" as they called it. The whole family on my moms side uncles aunts cousins and grandparents. Most lived in the area so it was not far to drive and my grandpa and his brothers all lived less than 5 miles from the Smoke Shack.

As a kid I loved it I got to see my cousins and there was always good food in a crockpot or bars and homemade doughnuts. The adults would go out for their walks and us kids would play in the old garage that had a wood burning stove and mice in the couches. Once the walks were done they would bring the deer back and us kids would get out favorite sticks and go poke holes in the gut piles that were behind the barn.

People passed away family feuds started land was sold and what once was the Smoke Shack is now buried under the ground. It is sad to see those days end, but new memories will come from it. Has anyone else seen these deer camps come and go with time? I hope that one day when I have kids and I can create my own place for them to explore the outdoors and learn how to be a sportsman like I once did.

JLS

Here is another one with the same jeep. This was 1957. My dad had an uncle who homesteaded north of Big Timber and they used to hunt there, I believe that is where most of these deer were taken.
View attachment 61907
What a great picture. That buck on the top middle is beautiful. I love the Jeep too. When I was a kid I rode shotgun a number of times with my Grandpa in his '46 Willy's while we did a deer body recover from the rimrocks above his ranch. Wish I had photos of it....

tjones

Darby check station a couple years ago.

No Sitka required.

Last edited:

brownbear932008

Lol now that is a load of elk. Those guys hunted to eat and it was really cool. I can remember my grandpa telling me " boy you better get over on that ridge and get them squirrels before somebody else does". Think he just wanted grandma to make some gravy for him looking back. Good times I'll never forget. Love the pics guys.

1_pointer

Great pics! I wish the previous generations in my family had been more active with a camera. Wouldn't have an pics of elk or even deer, but it'd be fun to see the amount of squirrels and rabbits they shot back then. Not to mention the beagles that they kept for running rabbits. Thanks for sharing.

MTTW

I was looking through some old slides and found some that I hadn't seen. I screen shot a couple and thought I would add them to this thread.
First is a tailgate shot of some of the bucks and bulls from the earlier post. These came from Gardiner 1965.
d bull 006.jpg

MTTW

Here is another one of the old jeep with a nice buck. This slide was stamped 1960. Looks like Fridley creek or Eight mile creek.. but I am not sure.
d bull 004.jpg