A few Montana oldies

MTTW

I thought I would share a few oldies for the people who like that sort of thing.

Here is a buck that my dad shot on thanksgiving day in 1966. He killed it up Big creek near Emigrant. The first pic is in his buddies garage. The horns hung in our shop rafters when I was a kid and contributed to a life long obsession of mine to hunt mule deer. My brother had them mounted in the 1980s and now they hang in my son's house.
IMG_0006.jpg
316 101.jpg

This one came from Fridley creek in 1960
IMG_0003.jpg

I will add a few more when I get time.

MTTW

Here is another one with the same jeep. This was 1957. My dad had an uncle who homesteaded north of Big Timber and they used to hunt there, I believe that is where most of these deer were taken.
IMG_0002.jpg

TheSurveyor

Love this stuff. I've got some old pictures from my grandfather in the 30s and 40s. I've thought the same thing that nameless range said but I can't put my figure on why. I really think it's because our modern lives don't compare to the work and hardships of our grandfathers and great grandfathers.

MTTW

My dad shot a bull up Big creek in the early 60s. It was a couple of miles in and in a sketchy spot for horses. When they packed it out they decided the horns were too much of a pain to pack out so he hung them in a tree thinking he might get them another time. Several years later a guy he knew told him that something had dragged the horns out of the tree and he had hung them back up. So one summer day with some coaxing from us kids he decided we would go up Big creek and have a picnic at the end of the road and walk up and get those horns. This is a picture of my older brother who was 7 at the time packing out the horns. It is a six point about low 300s I would guess. I still have them hanging in my barn pretty well bleached out.
IMG_0001.jpg

brownbear932008

Wow now that is awesome I have hunted near that area a few times took a few deer there but not like those beauties. Love old black and whites.

Hem

I lived for a year in the little house on the river by Big Creek/Yellowstone,and then lived for a winter up at the Mountain Sky guest ranch building a newer lodge in 88'/89'.Spent a lot of time snooping around that country.I used to bow hunt solo up to the Pass for elk. Beautiful area.Saw some big deer back then,your photos reminded me of that great drainage.

MTTW

This picture was up Fridley creek. My dad's buddy had this old Napco GMC 4x4 which I wish I had right now. I think they had a rag horn bull and a deer or 2 on with the old Snow Jets. You can see a toboggan on there too. For some reason they had convinced them selves that a toboggan helped in the retrieval of game. I can remember packing one in a couple of miles to lash a buck on to and drag him out.

My dad moved to MT in 1955 and he said at that time there were only a hand full of 4 wheel drives in town, and they were all old military jeeps. Good for about 40 mph and with a heater that worked great as long as it was warm out.

MTTW

This was on the Yellowstone river a few miles south of Livingston. There were no dry flies involved. Bait was usually bullheads or actually sculpins. Us kids would fish with worms. You never knew how big of a fish you might catch. I can remember chasing the pole down the bank a time of two. It was pretty unusual to see someone floating the river in those days. Now you can be fishing from the bank and they will float in and cast 15 feet in front of you.
ATTACH]62023[/ATTACH]

Attachments

MTTW

My dad killed a big bull in the early 1960s. Him and his buddies went to the Jardine area because the elk were coming out of the park. They killed several big bulls that day. He killed his in Crevice creek. You could drive to the Crevice ranger station at that time. A lot of people think of the park line with fond memories but this was not the case for him. He said it was a giant s...show. He towed us kids around hunting with him from about the time I was 8, but he would never take us up to Gardiner. I went there on my own years later and found that it was not for me. We scored this bull and it grossed about 380. It is a 7x8 and was 57 inches wide when he shot it. It hangs in my shop. I have seen a couple of similar bulls myself but never at a distance that I could make a run at them.
IMG (1280x989).jpg
horns 012.jpg
horns 014.jpg

HalfAce

WoW! Those are some great bucks, but that bull is a whopper. Great pictures, thanks for sharing.