A Day In the Grasslands

van franke

Well my wife left Friday the 29th to run a 5k at the garden of the gods, and with nothing I had to get done I decided to check out pawnee national grasslands. I was gone by 530 Saturday morning and headed cross country to see what I could find. Once the sun was up it didnt take long to start finding pronghorn. They were pretty well spread out, everytime I pulled up the binos I could spot white and tan. Take into consideration this is Colorado so you arent going to see any giants like New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona, but if you look hard enough you can find some decent animals. In total i saw 270 pronghorn in a little over 10 hours and covered 220 miles. With rolling terrain Im sure this is a small amount of the goats that call this country home.

Heres a crooked horn little guy
DSC_0546.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

This is the best one I got pics of.

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0664-1.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

This one didnt mind the attention.

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0780.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

continued next post

Here are some random shots.

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

The plains are also covered with history and great scenery. Lots of old homesteads that unfortuately have been abused by cattle are scattered across the praires. Most are just foundations that are left to be used as cattle rubs, which is unfortuate.

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0647.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

continued next post

In one little valley I dropped in I noticed a hawk sitting on the ground which was strange, then I looked farther down the valley to a runoff pond and there was hawks everywhere. At one time when I sat there I counted at least 60 it was pretty amazing. No shortage of hawks.

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

It was pretty amazing to see all of them.

In all I drove 220 miles Saw 270 pronghorn, 5 coyotes, alot of hawks, a few deer and very few other people. It was a great way to spend the Saturday.

I almost forgot I found the ever elusive praire spitting elk.

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

The first buck in the second post looks to have some mass.

Love the Swainson's photos. Thanks for sharing.

Really cool pictures.
I love this time of the year.

Big Slick you might have to cash those points in. Lots of antelope out there.
Not sure how much they will grow yet but its still pretty early. Looking forward to Eli posting some pics from his scouting trip so we can see where the real big boys are at this early in the game.
Oak how are they looking on that side of the mtn.

Great pics! I love the grasslands, just don't get to spend enough time in them. Instead I get to stumble over and around sagebrush. ;)

Was your wife running in Illinois?

The run was in Colorado Springs, she ran it in 32 minutes not bad for her first one. She'll actually be home anytime so I better get to putting stuff away.

Oak how are they looking on that side of the mtn.

I'm sure they're looking fine with the mild winter. It's a ways for me to drive to look, and I probably won't spend the time with no tag coming this year.

Can't wait to spend those ten points Van. Guess you just like to keep me fired up and ready to go! Thanks again for sharing.

B&C entries since 2000 in CO, by county:

1. Moffat - 23
2. Jackson - 7
3. Las Animas - 5

If it were me, I'd head west. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back