Yeti GOBOX Collection

A dandy of a pointless thread

CORN

Lotta guys here use the term dandy more than any other adjective to describe animals. Doesn't bother me, just makes me laugh a little - you never hear it used outside of the hunting community. Is it fair to assume that if I also adopt Steven Rinella's vernacular I'll become a dandy hunter like he is? Cuz that'd be just dandy ;).

Last edited:
I must not watch the right shows as I haven't heard that term. Who uses that term?

NOT to hijack the thread.... The term that I hear most often (and I admit drives me crazy) is.... "smoked". Every hunter "smokes" their animal after the shot :)

good luck to all
the dog

I must not watch the right shows as I haven't heard that term. Who uses that term?

Steven Rinella (Meateater) uses it pretty frequently, and a lot of guys here are trying to channel his spirit. Check out some of the threads with pics, there's usually at least one reply that says something along the lines of "that's a dandy of a buck!"

Rinella is from Michigan (Midwest). A large percentage of users on here are from the Midwest, myself included. I grew up hearing that term. It wasn't a nice fish until someone called it a dandy. I wouldn't over think this one.

I've never noticed Steve saying it, probably because it's used commonly around here. I've used it my entire life, mostly to describe a nice fish but also to describe a deer, turkey, morel, etc. I've addressed my buddies as "fellas" for as long as I can remember as well. I'd say you are probably noticing it from guys who have used it forever more than guys trying to be like Steve.

In the 1950's Jane Russel sang

Fine and Dandy

From memory everyone liked the song and the boys liked Jane

My dad has been dead 20 years but I can still hear him using that term. "that's a dandy", Most often was not hunting or fishing related at all and we are from Montana.

My dad has been dead 20 years but I can still hear him using that term. "that's a dandy", Most often was not hunting or fishing related at all and we are from Montana.

Maybe it's a generational thing? I've got a lot of friends from the Midwest, never heard any of them say it.

Maybe it's a generational thing? I've got a lot of friends from the Midwest, never heard any of them say it.
Possibly, I do use it on occasion as well and so do my boys. For us it is most often in terms of hunting and fishing.....or golf shots.

I like this take on the use of the word. Rinella has talked quite a few times about his dad having been in WWll. I would imagine we have a lot of our Fathers character traits.

Last edited:
how many of you remember your dads or granddads using the word "crackerjack" to describe a nice animal ? I remember crackerjack and dandy and this was from the southwest. It is also how a simple thread like this will bring back a memory (-:

Back