A CHALLENGE

Lost, It doesn't sound like you're signing on to the whole challenge. Are you or not?

"OK mike.. I'll promise not to resort to childish namecalling when I don't have a good argument to someone else's post. My opinion is just that and everyone else is entitled to theirs."

I agree to the challenge, but only in exchanges with other signers (kinda like NATO). If they don't sign on, then the Geneva Convention does not apply to them.

This is in the "Ithaca's Answer" topic:

posted 02-19-2003 08:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael, yep, but I wont sit back and be attacked by mule or elkchsr. I'll give respect where its due.

Well, it sure didn't take MD4M long to break her word!
biggrin.gif

Here's MD4M's post in the Elk section--Wolves are Legal topic-- of 2/21 at 16:52.

"BINGO Dan,that is what alot of people say Ithaca's tactac is.
If anyone takes the time to look at his posts,they would clearly see that he mimmick's what he see at his greenie sites.
Most of his statements are nothing more then the propaganda spouted by the greenie -treehuggers he gives us links to."

Just to save you all the trouble of checking the "Challenge", here it is:

"I challenge anybody who is willing to participate, to not use insults, personal attacks, derogatory comments, ect, ect. for 2 weeks from the time you anwser this post."

MD4M's post is a personal attack combined with derogatory comments.

Now, what's the penalty?

I don't think it will work if it only applies here in SI. Hard feelings generated in other sections can't help being carried over to SI. Besides, why would anyone want to exempt all other sections unless they wanted to promote fighting in them?

Do you think we should meet the "challenge" only here and then be able to make unprovoked attacks in other sections?

Well, let me see........(Jeopardy theme playing).......(more)...........(times up).

#1. I figure that if the rest see it as they read they will take note that that poster has not fulfilled their accepting the challenge. Then make their own judgements as to how they feel.

#2 As for a punishment? I dont think there is any excpet that they might lose a little creditability with the others.

#3. I have to deal with tattletaling at home and snitching at work. I dont like it.

#4. I never signed onto the challenge.
tongue.gif

#5 Marland is the moderator of SI and what I say doesnt matter as an admin.
footinmouth.gif

Well, let's have some clarification from mike. Does he want his challenge to apply to every section or just here? I figured he meant the whole board and that's certainly what I'd like to see. It wouldn't have occurred to me that he only meant SI, but I wasn't looking for some loophole to slither thru!
rolleyes.gif

So, Nut, you think one person should be able to break their word and attack the rest of us and we can't retaliate? And there are no consequences for the treaty breaker, except they lose credibility!? Suppose they don't have any more credibility to lose?
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-23-2003 00:08: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Let me think...(OUCH it hurts to think).

Constant barbs occur on the other forums. When they get nasty,they get locked and or deleted. Unlike other boards we allow a little bit more and compared to others we dont allow as much. Sometimes they get nipped in the bud and sometimes they dont.

Some users have a sense of humor and on others they dont.(I get a lot of crap from other posters on the OhioSportsman board,they dont have a sense of humor or adventure)

But there was nothing stated to what the people that accepted the challenge would approve to as a slap on the hand?

What I believe should be done is for you and MD to use the ignore button for each other.

You both can pick on me for awhile to stay in practice for the pot shots you both throw at each other.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Let history be the teacher.... Anyone remember the PigPen?? The challenge applies to all forums across the board.

There are other things that require clarification though.... Just because someone disagrees with you does not create a breach of faith. Some of us tend to be a bit touchy about terms. Slang terms for specific groups, are just that. Slang terms. They in now way constitue a personal attack. Calling an idea silly, stupid, ignorant, idealistic, while not kind, does not constitute a personal attack. Calling a person silly or ignorant does.

Disagreements are by nature, unpleasant at best. Everyone needs to learn to "cowboy up" and take impersonal criticism like a grown up.

Oh, one more thing.... Just because something is written somewhere else, does not make it gospel. A guy named Marx wrote a bunch of stuff that sounded pretty good but was impractical as hell when it was applied. I would think that consensus opinion by experts in a field would probably be easier to support than any single source of information. So let's not put all of our arguments in one source. If we are going to do this thing, let's do it right...otherwise, forget it....
soapbox.gif
soapbox.gif
fight.gif
elkgrin.gif

cool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-23-2003 10:05: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

I have seen it when you click on someone's profile at the lower right hand of it.

It says..add this person to your ignore list. Then right next to it it says add this person to your buddy list.

I think it works like in chat. You just will not see what the other person is posting.

Personally I have wondered if it actually works.LOL

I wish I had one for Vipe at times
eek.gif
wink.gif
Wait let me find a post of hers.
biggrin.gif

Well Nut, I just tried it. I added you to my ignore list. Nothing happened. Then I added you to my buddy list. Nothing happened. Not sure what they are for or how they work, but if you go to "My Profile", you can unlist people. Consider yourself unlisted.....

cool.gif

What is this, a lesson in Loophole Law? "I depends on what your definition of 'is' is." "The challenge did not specify that the rules applied anywhere outside of SI, and the violation occurred outside of SI, so by virtue of a lack of clarification the challenge was not violated." "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit."
rolleyes.gif
I guess Mike should've hired a contract lawyer before he proposed his challenge.
footinmouth.gif
wink.gif

Back