9mm

Wapiti Warrior

Okay, so I am wanting to buy a decent but not expensive 9mm pistol. I have over 10 boxes of shells that were given to me. And instead of buying a different caliber pistol I might as well have one I have ammo for. It is just for home protection against 2 legged animals. And to shoot for fun. I am not a gun expert and see several on sale for $300 - $500, but just don't know much about what makes a pistol good? I do have a 357 mag revolver.
Thanks,
John

I bought 2 of the Taurus PT111 Millinium G2's in the past month and love them. They will run you around $200 but Taurus has a $50 mail in rebate going on till the end of the year. ( we had these on sale on Black Friday... sold all we had 37 in less than 2hrs.)

Should be able to find a good used Springfield XD on Gunbroker for at or under $400

I have a personal aversion to the grip safety and ergonomics of the XD's, but it is really personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with an M&P (my favorite), Glock, or Sig (you can find these as certified pre-owned, rebuilt at the factory, in that 400ish range).

I was in the market for a 9mm last year and went to 2 gun shows before I could pull the trigger. My suggestion is to go to a shop or show and just hold some guns. The different models and of all the popular M&P, Glock, Sig, etc. did not fit my hand worth a damn. I went with a Walther CCP and love it. Also bought my wife a Ruger P22 for the same reasons above.

I was in the market for a 9mm last year and went to 2 gun shows before I could pull the trigger. My suggestion is to go to a shop or show and just hold some guns. The different models and of all the popular M&P, Glock, Sig, etc. did not fit my hand worth a damn. I went with a Walther CCP and love it. Also bought my wife a Ruger P22 for the same reasons above.

we sell a TON of the Walther's for the grip alone.... ( Walther ran a deal on the number of guns you sell, each was worth x amount of points...as of right now my Dad has enough points in sales for 2 new Walther handguns....) :)

I have an M&P 40 full size, and an M&P Shield 9mm for carry. I really like them both but enjoy shooting the shield much more. It's within arms reach of me 24 hours a day. If it was strictly for home defense and you aren't going to carry it, I'd probably get the full size just for the magazine capacity alone. Both are great guns!

I have friends that love the Springfields but I just couldn't get myself to like the grip on them. The Smith and Wessons just felt better to me.

I'd go to a gunshop and play with a few. I'm sure one or two will jump out at you.

If this is for the home only. Not conceal carry. Why not go full size. Smith& Wesson Glock Sig. Cant go wrong with them....

If for home use and not carry use, I would look at the XDm series, thin kit is a 19+1, that's plenty of lead to fend off the 2 legged intruders.

If this is for the home only. Not conceal carry. Why not go full size. Smith& Wesson Glock Sig. Cant go wrong with them....

Strictly home defense I keep a Sig p250 with weapon light on the night stand. Like others have said, handle them all and go with what feels/fits the best.

Strictly home defense I keep a Sig p250 with weapon light on the night stand. Like others have said, handle them all and go with what feels/fits the best.

I love my P250, but it is DAO, and not a lot of people like that in a semi-auto.

Stiker fired: Glock, S&W M&P, Sig P320, all are solid deals. I tend to shoot the Glock better than the M&P however.

Thanks for all the advice/info. I definitely will go and handle a few and see how they feel to me. Now I need to decide if I will ever carry it on my person? Been thinking about getting my concealed weapon permit. But then not sure I will ever carry one, but I might keep it in my vehicle.
I have never been to 3 rivers shooting range. I hear they let you shoot their weapons (for a fee) to see which one you like.
John

I got a Taurus P24 a few years back just because it feels good shooting.
I know,new horror stories about them going off if dropped. I NEVER go around with one in the chamber unless necessary,and learned along time agoo...NEVER drop your weapon.

I had been looking at Walthers,Siggs and Glocks.
I never did like the feel of the Springfield 45 I carried. Grip was always too narrow and I wanted to keep it original.
Bedside,get the Walther or a Sigg.e

Last edited:
Are you planning on concealed carrying your pistol? That could help narrow down some choices. If you have a gun range in your area that allows rental of different pistols, my best advice would be to try as many different models as you can. I have an XD in and an MP, both in 9. They are both great guns and both would do what you want them to. Glocks, M&P's, XD's, Sigs, Rugers, etc all make great guns that can fit in your price range, so they deciding factor has to be personal fit and feel. Even holding guns in a store don't necessarily give you a great idea how they feel when shooting. I have bought guns that felt great until I pulled the trigger. I ended up getting rid of them and lost a bunch of money on the deals. Good luck on choosing and enjoy your decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back