Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

80" Buck? Destroy My Field Judging

you passed on this tall buck above to shoot the 77"er?Dont get me wrong the pics of your 77" are great! wow. I would have also shot the funky buck in that pic. you are blessed with some great antelope in your area! wow!

I burned a pile of points in Colorado on a great area last year. I may never get to hunt there again. In hindsight there were several bucks I maybe should have tried for instead of the one I shot. Oh well it was great fun to scout all summer and I'm happy with my buck.

I was lucky enough to draw in a different state this year. Treating it like a sheep tag.

Man, judging antelope is so hard. I would put that buck as the best of any that you have shown pictures of so far. The 3rd mass measurement would be right above the prong and get you a little extra there. Not a perfect broadside view to get a really good feel for bottom mass, but he looks decent. At least 6". Looks like he curves back pretty good. I would have had a hard time passing on him. Wonder what the experts will say.

that 77" buck you shot is a beauty, no doubt about it. that one you passed looks like an 82" plus buck to me. Hes at least 16", knockin on 17" in length, great prongs and shape where the bottoms are good, his curb appeal is unreal!! the buck you shot has great prongs but he didn't have the bottom mass leading up to it, his shape makes it deceiving with those great cutters. Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted with these fantastic pics!

Be glad you passed the tall looking buck. He's probably 15" tall at best, really thin, average prong, below average mass, giving him 72-74"
15, 4.5, 5.5, 6, 3, 2

He looks like he will break 70 by just a little bit. But Hard to tell from those pictures. As if he is a shooter ?,for me it would depend on the unit I am in and the ground I had acess too.

gents, it doesn't take much for a loper to break 70", it does take a lot to break 80", but this guy has to be closer to 80 than 70, no? I'm talking about the buck he passed up on in his pics for clarification, not the original buck.

Last edited:
Go to Pronghorn Guide Service Website. Look at the picture gallery. I assume virtually all of them are 80" or bigger. Many are obviously huge. Many are not obvious. Not to me anyway.

I do think my estimate of 15" long is too much by an inch. My mass may be off by as much as three inches total. So the estimate I'm going with now is 75". I really do appreciate all the advice. I need it!

Food for thought. Here is a buck that scored over 90" with low prongs. Oh what prongs they are though!

I hope it is okay to post this pic. If it is not please let me know.

Attachments

• 90 Inch Plus Low Prongs.jpg
    90 Inch Plus Low Prongs.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 79
Here's a live picture of last year's buck. Still looks longer to me than what he really was.

Holy Cow! He would have fooled me too, he looks crazy tall in that picture. That said, he's still a really handsome 77" incher. Congrats on the nice buck.

Thanks. It was especially sweet because I shot him with a muzzleloader and open sights. I couldn't get him the first day because he wouldn't let me get within 400 yards. That evening I dug myself a grave 65 yards from the water source. I was lying in the grave before daylight the second day. At 9:30 he came to water.

Attachments

• 2018 ML Antelope.jpg
    2018 ML Antelope.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
Food for thought. Here is a buck that scored over 90" with low prongs. Oh what prongs they are though!

I hope it is okay to post this pic. If it is not please let me know.
This buck is deceptively tall, probably close to 16", obviously stellar prongs, and 1st quarter barking at 8". Did they give his measurements?

This buck is deceptively tall, probably close to 16", obviously stellar prongs, and 1st quarter barking at 8". Did they give his measurements?

I'd have to look it up but off the top of my head his prongs were about 8", his first was about 8" and he was over 15" somewhere.

Also I think that first buck you posted is close to 80" but +/- about 4-5" because of the blurry pics. From those pics I'd give him 13-6/8, 5-5/8 prong, 6-4/8, 7, 4-3/8, 2-7/8. Of course I try to never judge one from blurry pics or from any kind of distance. It's a recipe for failure. So take it with a grain of salt.

If you get any clearer photos send them over and I'll take a look and give you a much better estimate. Good luck.

[email protected]

Eli thank you so much for weighing in. I was hoping you would but I'm sure you have plenty of your own buck pictures to evaluate! I learned everything I know about judging pronghorn from you guys. Obviously I have a lot more to learn.

I can’t judge it. However, I can’t wait to get my first. They are ain’t here in Texas, but I have three Wyoming points!

They are sure hard to judge! Some hay-hook back and some heart shape down! I like the prongs on this one and the mass is equal to eye width. I think mass is king for pronghorn. I was guessing 78” for this one... Just eye-balling it tho! This photo was taken early June so he is probably bigger now... if I snag him next month, I’ll know for sure!

Attachments

• 40FCABF3-2F24-4209-9359-EDB0C1C829D7.png
    40FCABF3-2F24-4209-9359-EDB0C1C829D7.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 877925FB-65A0-4488-B281-543F631FEE25.jpeg
    877925FB-65A0-4488-B281-543F631FEE25.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member