Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

8 years after back injury

I haven't done any overnight camps yet. Just day hikes. Where I hunt really isn't far from my home. Takes 10 minutes or so to be on the trailhead, from my home. I usually hike around 10 miles a day sometimes less or more. Definitely a challenge, but hey who wants to stay home.

So it's been about 8 Years now since my back injury. I have learned a lot about my body since then. I suffered a lower back Injury to my L4,L5,S1 along with some nerve damage. When I 1st hurt myself I didn't think I had much of a chance to get back outdoors, like I use to. I actually came across Randy Newberg's show when I had originally had my injury and was watching lots of tv. His will power and determination, despite his liver issues is what inspired Me. My end goal was to be able to someday pack hunt. It was many years of extreme pain, and hardwork getting to that point. I will admit sometimes I felt like just giving up and accepting my limits and disability. However I just new I wouldn't be satisfied until I finished my goal. After several years of hardwork, I was able to hike again. Took awhile before I could comfortably carry a pack. I did lots of research and settled of course on a mystery ranch, needed to be like the "man" Randy Newberg. I finally past 2 years actually carried out some game with the pack, and had almost no problems. Its been an incredible journey for me. From going to not being able to walk or stand much. To not even being able to pull my bow back due to extreme pain. It's been a crazy journey I think proves how powerful and healing the outdoors can be. I truly only wanted to be able to chase my passion again which is the outdoors. I can honestly say Randy was my inspiration and hope to not give up. This has been a life changing experience. I do plan on going out again this year. I lucked out and got another elk and deer hunt. Hopefully this year I get my bull finally. I hope to continue posting here, hopefully I can inspire someone else to not give up. I plan on writing a story about my hunts from now on. I just hope more people with injuries get out there and try to enjoy nature again. I feel blessed I was given another shot at being able to chase my passion again. It's a long hard journey, and I definitely wanted to quit a lot throughout this journey. I do live in NM and hunt the rugged Gila National Forest. It's definitely not forgiving and has no care of your injury or restrictions. I think that environment has made me a stronger person. You have to be tough to live and succeed in these mountains. Hopefully I will have some great stories, and even better pictures soon. Thanks for reading my long story.
Hope all is going well. Way to get back out there.

Love this. I've been in the same boat (low back injury and then a busted neck with partial upper body paralysis 2 years later.) It's a real test of grit to push through it and come out the other side, but I don't know if I would have it any other way looking back. It makes that crisp air among the peaks taste that much sweeter knowing how close I was to never being there again.

This thread hits home in so many ways. At 6'4" 255, if I needed to move something I just moved it. But life can deal you curve balls. I have "severe" spinal stenosis and "severe" spinal arthritis that has taken me down like an angry beaver. My last MRI few months ago was sobering. Spinal cord looks fine until it gets to lower vertebrae when it is being squeezed flat lack of better description. I am in pain 24/7/365 from stenosis so the decision for surgery is no brainer. I have held off surgery as long as I could but now paying the price. I literally lost my lower body strength and now in pre surgery PT to hopefully get some back for post surgery. I am seeing some progress which is encouraging but eye opener how far I fell in strength. My surgery will be bottom 5 fused so helpful to see positive results here. I am in 70's so that makes it interesting as well. I am looking at 2024 for another elk hunt, DIY or outfitted and hope it happens. My last elk hunt was 2nd season CO 2019 where it was cut short by monster blizzard forcing a fast bug out.

The simple things in life that bring smiles like picking up your young granddaughter is not possible. NOTHING hurts more than that.

This thread hits home in so many ways. At 6'4" 255, if I needed to move something I just moved it. But life can deal you curve balls. I have "severe" spinal stenosis and "severe" spinal arthritis that has taken me down like an angry beaver. My last MRI few months ago was sobering. Spinal cord looks fine until it gets to lower vertebrae when it is being squeezed flat lack of better description. I am in pain 24/7/365 from stenosis so the decision for surgery is no brainer. I have held off surgery as long as I could but now paying the price. I literally lost my lower body strength and now in pre surgery PT to hopefully get some back for post surgery. I am seeing some progress which is encouraging but eye opener how far I fell in strength. My surgery will be bottom 5 fused so helpful to see positive results here. I am in 70's so that makes it interesting as well. I am looking at 2024 for another elk hunt, DIY or outfitted and hope it happens. My last elk hunt was 2nd season CO 2019 where it was cut short by monster blizzard forcing a fast bug out.

The simple things in life that bring smiles like picking up your young granddaughter is not possible. NOTHING hurts more than that.
I get it buddy it surely does suck I wish you the best of luck I have my second surgery Tuesday at ten hopefully it's good things from them on my first and next hunt will be 2024 Colorado over the counter

Interesting but sad to read of all the back problems. I have arthritis in my cervical disc, spinal stenosis and a bulging disc in my lower spine. But sometimes if I bend over I think it helps because it unpinches the nerve and the pain is reduced down my right leg and right buttocks. I take Gabapentin twice daily and some Tylenol occasionally and that helps too with the sciatic. I don’t plan on having any surgery unless these symptoms get very bad. I still hunt, but not as I once did, at 77 now.

Interesting but sad to read of all the back problems. I have arthritis in my cervical disc, spinal stenosis and a bulging disc in my lower spine. But sometimes if I bend over I think it helps because it unpinches the nerve and the pain is reduced down my right leg and right buttocks. I take Gabapentin twice daily and some Tylenol occasionally and that helps too with the sciatic. I don’t plan on having any surgery unless these symptoms get very bad. I still hunt, but not as I once did, at 77 now.
Time waits for no one I just hope we can all get back after it when the next season gets here

Definitely crazy to think how many people have neck and back injuries. I injured my neck on an archery hunt in Colorado and had to hike out. Mine is C4, C5, C7. I have avoided surgery but have taken 3 rounds of shots in my neck and see a chiro once a month that focuses on stretching me out. Does not crank on my neck. I am confident I will be able to avoid surgery through exercise, physical therapy and faith. Pr 34

I have had my right pointer finger crushed and surgically reattached and functional through 1+ years of physical therapy. I will say that was not near as bad as the nerve pain from discs. Could sleep maybe 2 hours a night for almost 2 months. Don't ever want to go through it again.

Definitely crazy to think how many people have neck and back injuries. I injured my neck on an archery hunt in Colorado and had to hike out. Mine is C4, C5, C7. I have avoided surgery but have taken 3 rounds of shots in my neck and see a chiro once a month that focuses on stretching me out. Does not crank on my neck. I am confident I will be able to avoid surgery through exercise, physical therapy and faith. Pr 34

I have had my right pointer finger crushed and surgically reattached and functional through 1+ years of physical therapy. I will say that was not near as bad as the nerve pain from discs. Could sleep maybe 2 hours a night for almost 2 months. Don't ever want to go through it again.
Sounds like a bad time this will be my second full hip replacement and my eigth surgery on this hip I'm over it just want to get back to normal life how did you hurt your neck hunting

Sounds like a bad time this will be my second full hip replacement and my eigth surgery on this hip I'm over it just want to get back to normal life how did you hurt your neck hunting
Long story. Without details: Caught up high by thunderstorm, ran to get towards tent, jumped in, laid down quickly, root of tree under my neck. Lots of pain, thought maybe I pulled a muscle but couldn't move well. Freak deal.

Good luck with hip replacement!

I haven't done any overnight camps yet. Just day hikes. Where I hunt really isn't far from my home. Takes 10 minutes or so to be on the trailhead, from my home. I usually hike around 10 miles a day sometimes less or more. Definitely a challenge, but hey who wants to stay home.
I am curious as to how old you are. I am 52. Right as the covid lockdowns hit in 2020 I had an intradural herniation of my L1 or L2. It really smashed the nerve roots to the point that I could barely walk 5 days in. I had surgery to remove the disc fragments 1 week after the initial injury, which was caused by a sneeze of all things. Now almost 3 years down and I lead a mostly normal life. My right leg is still weak, my left leg was unaffected. Running and jumping and other things that stress my right leg are kind of hard. But thank God, I can walk and hunt!

I was 26 when my bottom 3 discs blown out. I didn’t walk or stand for 8 months waiting for workers comp to approve a fusion . That was in 2003. Didn’t start feeling better tell I was off pain meds. I guess your body gets used to the drugs
My Dr wouldn’t tell me it could be from withdrawal pain. So I stayed on them for years. Which I wish someone would have told me to get off them. So it took a month of hell in pain then it started getting better.
I feel a lot better now but only do what I can and my body lets me. I’m 47 now. Cold isn’t good on my back but walking is.
Standing or sitting for more than 20 mins still hurts. But walking is great. Antler hunting, hunting keeping up with my teenage kids is all I can Ask for.
I was against surgery. But when ya can’t walk or function. I had to go.
I’ve heard they have a lot of easier back surgery’s with layers and stuff.
Are fusions still the same?
Good luck to all who is recovering or going in for surgery.

Been out for awhile sorry to everyone. Having lots of issues with my back again. Last year wasn't a good hunting year for me. Was unable to do much if any hunting. Hoping I can get some help prior to this year's season. Not looking good as far as avoiding surgery, will likely get it done this year. Hope everyone was successful in the draw this years. I will keep updating as things happen. Hoping this surgery won't prevent me from pack hunting.

I herniated my L5/S1 at age 40 and again at 45 both from dead lifting. Surgery both times. I’m 95% fixed. I no longer deadlift but I lift weights otherwise. No more long distance running either. I’m still packing out elk and have alternative options should I lose that ability.

Attachments

• 99ACB1AC-6552-44A2-92F8-3827182BEC2F.jpeg
    99ACB1AC-6552-44A2-92F8-3827182BEC2F.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 12
I fell from a tree stand last September and completely crushed my L2 and fractured the L3 and L4. Also ruptured 7 disc. I have two 11 inch rods and 10 screws fusing the T12 down to the L5 and this was seven months ago. I have some minor spinal cord nerve damage but I’m back to doing anything I want for the most part. I still have minor muscle aches but nothing serious. If you have the surgery just do the rehab and get back to moving and walking as soon as possible.

I'm in the L5/S1 camp as well. Had a massive rupture and due to a previous injury that formed a calcium wall, the ruptured disc had nowhere to go but my nerve space. Lost complete motor function of my right leg almost immediately. Tried to avoid surgery but had to have it finally 7 days in. I'm pretty young, military, and very active. I packed out a mule deer whole by myself exactly one year to the day post surgery and while not the biggest buck, was so important for me. Took about 18 months for me to feel 95% again. Fast forward to now, I've been able to resume backpack hunting, and have packet out multiple elk and tons of deer as well as chased goats and sheep in the unlimiteds. Most important thing I did gear wise was buy every alpha pack at once and I rucked with each one with the same weight back to back to back to back and over a week made sure I knew which one I loved. Once I got a pack that my back loved, I have been doing great in the mountains since! Good luck to all those recovering! Stay healthy to all those recovered!

Well been trying to nurse my back injury back. Really put a damper on everything. Also didn't keep up with this site much either. Anyway been having lots of pain, especially when walking or standing extended periods. I also have been considering a crossbow. My back currently doesn't like me shooting my compound bow. Definitely looking at other methods to get me back out in the mountains more. Since I loved backpacking and back country hunts makes it more of a challenge. I have been contemplating getting a e-bike to help get me in and out of the mountains again. Decided to put in for rifle hunts this year, since I don't have a crossbow currently. Hoping to get drawn for a few hunts.

Well been trying to nurse my back injury back. Really put a damper on everything. Also didn't keep up with this site much either. Anyway been having lots of pain, especially when walking or standing extended periods. I also have been considering a crossbow. My back currently doesn't like me shooting my compound bow. Definitely looking at other methods to get me back out in the mountains more. Since I loved backpacking and back country hunts makes it more of a challenge. I have been contemplating getting a e-bike to help get me in and out of the mountains again. Decided to put in for rifle hunts this year, since I don't have a crossbow currently. Hoping to get drawn for a few hunts.
Sorry to hear this. What happened this time?

I’m still trying to get my back right again after a car accident a year ago.

Sorry to hear this. What happened this time?

I’m still trying to get my back right again after a car accident a year ago.
Disc's have degenerated so bad it pinches my sciatic nerve. Causing lots of pain going down my leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back