8 years after back injury

Vanishe187

So it's been about 8 Years now since my back injury. I have learned a lot about my body since then. I suffered a lower back Injury to my L4,L5,S1 along with some nerve damage. When I 1st hurt myself I didn't think I had much of a chance to get back outdoors, like I use to. I actually came across Randy Newberg's show when I had originally had my injury and was watching lots of tv. His will power and determination, despite his liver issues is what inspired Me. My end goal was to be able to someday pack hunt. It was many years of extreme pain, and hardwork getting to that point. I will admit sometimes I felt like just giving up and accepting my limits and disability. However I just new I wouldn't be satisfied until I finished my goal. After several years of hardwork, I was able to hike again. Took awhile before I could comfortably carry a pack. I did lots of research and settled of course on a mystery ranch, needed to be like the "man" Randy Newberg. I finally past 2 years actually carried out some game with the pack, and had almost no problems. Its been an incredible journey for me. From going to not being able to walk or stand much. To not even being able to pull my bow back due to extreme pain. It's been a crazy journey I think proves how powerful and healing the outdoors can be. I truly only wanted to be able to chase my passion again which is the outdoors. I can honestly say Randy was my inspiration and hope to not give up. This has been a life changing experience. I do plan on going out again this year. I lucked out and got another elk and deer hunt. Hopefully this year I get my bull finally. I hope to continue posting here, hopefully I can inspire someone else to not give up. I plan on writing a story about my hunts from now on. I just hope more people with injuries get out there and try to enjoy nature again. I feel blessed I was given another shot at being able to chase my passion again. It's a long hard journey, and I definitely wanted to quit a lot throughout this journey. I do live in NM and hunt the rugged Gila National Forest. It's definitely not forgiving and has no care of your injury or restrictions. I think that environment has made me a stronger person. You have to be tough to live and succeed in these mountains. Hopefully I will have some great stories, and even better pictures soon. Thanks for reading my long story.

Good on you. I put a bunch of hairline fractures up and down my spine when I was 12. Led to scoliosis and kyphosis and a lifetime of mild to moderate back pain. Definitely kicks up when packing an elk quarter. Sounds like your injury was way worse. Hope to see some good pictures from your season.

Yeah I don't have much issues till after the pack out. I am hopeful I will get something this year. Its always fun and a challenge seeing what my limits will be that day. I'm sure others with back issues deal with the same stuff I do. I will say a great fitting pack helps a ton. I hope to do some scouting this weekend if it's not raining too much.

Train your "core".... and then train your "core" some more. Dr Staurt McGill has great books out on the topic. But before you start training, educate yourself on what "core" is, that's the part that self promoters like Elkshape fail to establish.

Train your "core".... and then train your "core" some more. Dr Staurt McGill has great books out on the topic. But before you start training, educate yourself on what "core" is, that's the part that self promoters like Elkshape fail to establish.
That's a huge part of my training. Use to fight pro muay thai so I have always been big on core work. Also cardio is huge for me.

So it's been about 8 Years now since my back injury. I have learned a lot about my body since then. I suffered a lower back Injury to my L4,L5,S1 along with some nerve damage. When I 1st hurt myself I didn't think I had much of a chance to get back outdoors, like I use to. I actually came across Randy Newberg's show when I had originally had my injury and was watching lots of tv. His will power and determination, despite his liver issues is what inspired Me. My end goal was to be able to someday pack hunt. It was many years of extreme pain, and hardwork getting to that point. I will admit sometimes I felt like just giving up and accepting my limits and disability. However I just new I wouldn't be satisfied until I finished my goal. After several years of hardwork, I was able to hike again. Took awhile before I could comfortably carry a pack. I did lots of research and settled of course on a mystery ranch, needed to be like the "man" Randy Newberg. I finally past 2 years actually carried out some game with the pack, and had almost no problems. Its been an incredible journey for me. From going to not being able to walk or stand much. To not even being able to pull my bow back due to extreme pain. It's been a crazy journey I think proves how powerful and healing the outdoors can be. I truly only wanted to be able to chase my passion again which is the outdoors. I can honestly say Randy was my inspiration and hope to not give up. This has been a life changing experience. I do plan on going out again this year. I lucked out and got another elk and deer hunt. Hopefully this year I get my bull finally. I hope to continue posting here, hopefully I can inspire someone else to not give up. I plan on writing a story about my hunts from now on. I just hope more people with injuries get out there and try to enjoy nature again. I feel blessed I was given another shot at being able to chase my passion again. It's a long hard journey, and I definitely wanted to quit a lot throughout this journey. I do live in NM and hunt the rugged Gila National Forest. It's definitely not forgiving and has no care of your injury or restrictions. I think that environment has made me a stronger person. You have to be tough to live and succeed in these mountains. Hopefully I will have some great stories, and even better pictures soon. Thanks for reading my long story.
Hope for the best for you

Been doing pretty good. Weight loss and staying active have helped a ton. Still have my down times, but I'm much better than I was. Just gotta stay after it. I notice when I don't go to the gym in a long time, pain really kicks up.

Been doing pretty good. Weight loss and staying active have helped a ton. Still have my down times, but I'm much better than I was. Just gotta stay after it. I notice when I don't go to the gym in a long time, pain really kicks up.
Curious on the specifics of your injury. Did you have surgery?

I blew out my L5/S1 disc about three years ago and at that point felt I had to give up on ever elk hunting due to my inability to pack one out. Three years on my back still couldn’t handle a pack out. I’m contemplating surgery but am avoiding it all costs. I know I have more work to do in the weight loss department and on my core. I’m hoping to get there some day.

Last edited:
I myself was born with this hip crap this will be my 7th and 8th surgery on my hip I will be down for at least 6 months I'm trying to get myself excited for 2024 hunting season

So I herniated my l4 l5 s1. Never had surgery trying to avoid it. I really just focused on my weight and exercise. I still have rough days, especially during wetter months. For the most part I get around extremely well considering. It's a slow and delicate process getting there. I had many days where I would go to the gym, only to return 10 minutes later. You must listen to your body, pushing too hard will make thing worse. Eventually I got to where I can go almost 2 hours. Took a lot to get there though. My goal was to be able to pack out an elk. However it took me about 4 years really before that was realistic. I mainly do cardio and core workouts.

One thing I noticed is weight Is huge for lower back injuries. I've realized my back likes me to be around 145 lbs. I put on about 30lbs to see if it would be helpful for elk pack outs. They are exhausting either way. However for me it's not helpful being a bit heavier. Its amazing how much of a difference it can make. I am back on the journey of loosing weight again, back isn't happy.

I fractured an L5 in a deer stand fall six years ago. That’s certainly not as serious as what you described but it took months to get back to normal. Good luck on your hunts!

You go!
I did the MRI a couple of years ago, neck was sore, along with the back. I promptly looked at the CD that was given to me for the doctor. That didn't help. Doc looked at it, degenerative, years of bouncing around on equipment. Wanted to do fusion.
Decided to try a decent regimen of stretches, strengthen core....
Seems to be working but my days of packing out on my own are are limited. I debone, pack lite.
Good luck.

I sustained a neck injury after slipping in my garage 6 years ago. It still hurts me to put on a heavy pack. One day, when my insurance deducible is met from something more serious I may have to go see whats going on.

You go!
I did the MRI a couple of years ago, neck was sore, along with the back. I promptly looked at the CD that was given to me for the doctor. That didn't help. Doc looked at it, degenerative, years of bouncing around on equipment. Wanted to do fusion.
Decided to try a decent regimen of stretches, strengthen core....
Seems to be working but my days of packing out on my own are are limited. I debone, pack lite.
Good luck.
Yeah elk are tough on a healthy body. Use to struggle before my injury. I do debone my elk, too help my back. Also you can pack more meat out and not have to worry about the bone weight. It's a delicate process, you must know your limits. I have to make more trips now, but I can do it on my own if I need to. Of course I have lots of willing backs to help me. Stay focused on your goals and make your health a top priority. When I slack of in the gym and gain weight I really feel it.

So this year has been really tough on me. I've been really down with the awesome monsoons here in SW NM. I plan on doing very little hiking for my hunts as possible. I've been interested in getting a mule bag to swap my metcalf out with, for shorter hunts. Anyone ever try one out? I love my metcalf and have been curious about that smaller pack. Also will force me to not pack so much, which will be easier on me. Now this is my fault as I have slacked off from the gym since covid times. I realize how important it really is to stay active with a back injury.

After multiple surgeries, I'm fused at l3, l4, l5, and s1. The first year back I hunted 100 yds from my truck. 5 years later I am hiking into the backcountry and pushing as hard as I can.
What is the alternative.....sitting at home?
For back injuries, I would put a lot of focus on the proper backpack and the best possible sleeping conditions. Wake up in the morning and do the best you can. Listen to your body and practice self care! Good luck! PEACE

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back