Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

7mm WSM

I will most likely always be relegated to sporter rifles in calibers available at Cabelas, but the other day I was reading about the 7mm WSM, that sure looks like a pretty awesome cartridge.

I have one and love it. It's my baby and it shoots really well really far. For awhile I was worried about not finding brass so I went on a hoarding brass hunt. I have about 350-400 new brass now. I think I'll be ok now. LOL. A friend talked me into the caliber and I had a guy build me one.

I’m considering building one too. Looks like it’s possible to get factory loads and brass for it
Unlike 7mm RSAUM

I just built one for myself on a savage large shank short action with a McGowen 24in 1-9 twist. the 8th,9th, and 10th shots shot a .239in group with 160gr. barnes triple shock factory federal loads, so far I am beyond pleased with it.

I don't have one yet, but need to get one.
And a RSAUM
And a 280 AI
7mm Dakota
7.21 Tomahawk

You get the picture.

I have owned one since the early 2000's. It's my primary hunting rifle in fact. Mine is pretty accurate. Brass was getting real hard to find for a while, but I see that Hornady is offering it now and it seems a little more readily available. If I was looking to buy one today I would probably go for the 300 WSM instead. The 300 seems to be more popular and ammo/brass is more readily available(They're not interchangeable)

Europe, let me apologize for belly deep.

thank you sir

Yes the 7mmwsm "caliber" will certainly make it easy to knock something down at 300 yards--plus and IMHO the BLR "Rifle" works well in timber. Together they allow one, again in IMHO the ability to hunt timber and the meadows. I might mention I have never been a long range hunter, so I probably could just use our 30/30, 348, type calibers. But, I liked the idea of the 7mmWSM and thought the combination of the 7mmWSM and lever was something I wanted to try. The rifle has served me well in both instances --Timber and meadows, and even in wide open country when hunting Caribou---so in that case, I would have to agree with you, although my shot was still only 280 yards.

Last edited:
Europe, let me apologize for belly deep.

I didn't realize that comment was so offensive as to have others apologize on my behalf when I made it.

Sorry Europe. It was more a commentary than a criticism directed at you, but it must have come out wrong.

I didn't realize that comment was so offensive as to have others apologize on my behalf when I made it.

Sorry Europe. It was more a commentary than a criticism directed at you, but it must have come out wrong.

Umm....yeah....let's not get too sensitive here gents. Your point was valid and not offensive. Let me apologize for those apologizing for you. ;)

Europe is a very nice lady from before the Boomer generation, based on a PM she sent. Unsure of the thickness of her skin. I am glad she contributes here.

thank you sir. I do appreciate your post, as I did the post made by mtmiller, and I thank you both

I have heard from belly deep and any misunderstanding has been cleared up. I understood his point about the caliber and distance, but if you read my post after his above it explains my rational for calling it a great timber gun--plus it in fact has worked for me as a great timber "rifle" ( A BLR ) with the caliber giving me more distance when needed than a 30-30 or 348.

Elkduds-----To answer your question sir, I do not have a thin skin but your also right about being from a different generation. I have no idea how a gentleman opening the door for me makes me any less of a woman. Lets just say my financial contributions go to the NRA, not to the Woman's March in D.C. Well actually recently most of them have gone toward shotgun's for my granddaughter LOL

Good on Europe for gettin after it with the 7WSM...especially in the timber! Now! Let's get her clanging some steel at 1000 yds with that BLR!!

Great round. My girlfriend has one. I can't believe its not more popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back