PEAX Equipment

7mm Shortie's - experience??

Bighorn191

Looking at probably ordering a GA Precision Non-Typical rifle and wondering what hunting experiences any of you have had with 7mm short action cartridges? I've owned a number of 7mm Rem. Mag. rifles and had great results with them but the idea for this hunting rifle I'm wanting is based on the notion of a short action for weight savings, shorter throw, efficiency, etc.

I'm not a long range shooter by any means but it'd be cool to have a 1/2" moa rifle and do some longer range (300-600 yards) shooting. Considering the 7mm WSM above most all else that's offered but that's what I want to hear from some of you, what have you liked in this realm of cartridges?

I really like the 7wsm. I have one in a Kimber and my GAP NT will be the same caliber. It should be about ready to ship any day.

Not sure about big deer, but it worked well on little deer this last week.:D

1-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

Oh man I'm jealous of that rifle you got coming - how long of a wait was it? That's probably the caliber I will order as well - seems to be one of the best of the shorts with the .270 WSM and .300 WSM being the most popular propbably. What sort of options did you go with on that rifle and what scope you planning on topping it off with?

I don't know....if you're really planning on sticking with 600 yards as your maximum range....sometimes less is more. I've been nothing but impressed with my wifes 7-08. A 140 accubond at 2850 with a mildish load. Combined with cheap loading components, smaller powder charge, and flat fun to shoot...lots to like. Rifles that are fun to shoot tend to get shot more...and imo an accurate rifle that is only shot a few times a year is only really an average rifle. Nothing trumps a few hundred rounds downrange. I figure if thats the case may as well have fun doing it.

The only draw back to the short fat stuff is magazine length. It's not uncommon to have to seat your bullets with .010 jump to archive the best accuracy and the short magazines won't allow it. The 7 wizzum is a nice thought though. Good luck.

Oh man I'm jealous of that rifle you got coming - how long of a wait was it? That's probably the caliber I will order as well - seems to be one of the best of the shorts with the .270 WSM and .300 WSM being the most popular propbably. What sort of options did you go with on that rifle and what scope you planning on topping it off with?

I got the McMillian Edge stock. Not sure about the scope yet. Might just put my CDS on it and put the B&C back on the Montana.

I don't know....if you're really planning on sticking with 600 yards as your maximum range....sometimes less is more. I've been nothing but impressed with my wifes 7-08. A 140 accubond at 2850 with a mildish load. Combined with cheap loading components, smaller powder charge, and flat fun to shoot...lots to like. Rifles that are fun to shoot tend to get shot more...and imo an accurate rifle that is only shot a few times a year is only really an average rifle. Nothing trumps a few hundred rounds downrange. I figure if thats the case may as well have fun doing it.

I totally agree. 08-based cartridges rock.

Absolutely love my 7mm WSM. I did a pile of research on lots of options when I finally had mine done. Went with the 7 short and it has performed flawlessly so far........I've had it only about 5 months and it took down my dall sheep, grizzly bear, antelope, and yesterday, a dang nice whitetail.......

You're right on Buzz. Laser rangefinders are taking away a magnum's usefulness inside the 500-600 shot distance.

Did you go semi-custom on the 7-08 also? Either way, what's she shooting?

I looked hard at the 7 wsm and found it quite interesting. I'm sure it would serve you faithfully as long as you put the bullets where they belong. There's a 7-08 Remington model 7 in my safe that I've taken a few white tails with, it's a pleasure to shoot and carry and always does the job I ask it to. Along side it in there is a 7 mag, 700 action - Hart barrel. McMillan stock and trigger job with Zeiss glass. Not my favorite but right near the top and I find a range finder to be a priceless addition to it's use. I like 'em all and shoot 'em on a regular basis.
The day will come that you regret the ones you didn't buy as opposed to the ones you did....

I agree this cartridge seems overlooked in favor of the magnum craze. I got this caliber for my daughter so I spent a tremendous amount of time with it this past summer. It is a pleasure to shoot for sure, my 12 year old has no trouble or hesitation sending round after round downrange at 2850fps. That's the kind of gun that will build confidence, and allow you to make an accurate, ethical shot. Sure, your not going to make those long shoots like on Long Range Pursuit, but if your max is 500-600 yards, I think you'll do fine. Buzz is right...bullets, powder, brass...this cartridge is also easy on the pocketbook, and will get the job down without a problem. This caliber is so much fun, I'm looking to pick up one myself.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back