7mm rm or 300wm for close range

The Sakos are super nice rifles. I’d love to have one some day.

There are also lots of other options out there in your price range, so take your time going to gun stores to fondle, I mean “handle,” as many rifles within your budget range that you can. Actual range time would be better, as you may find certain things like safety orientation, trigger shape or function, length of pull, drop of comb, etc “make or break” a rifle for you. Find the one that fits you best, because that is far more important than cartridge.

I’d suggest doing the same on glass, and the Luepold VX5 line is great.

Reactions: Mou
I've been always a small game hunter (shotgun 12gage)
Its gonna be my first and only rifle
So i want something good for long range and short range
My budget is 2000$ to 2500 $ including a scope any advise will do
Thank you guys for the support

Earlier you mention recoil is not a factor but now mention that this will be your first rifle. If you have shot several different calibers, then you would have a good feel about the recoil.

If you are dead set on a magnum,, there is no big game animal you will ever get to hunt in North America that the 7mm will not easily cover.

Personally, most of the various calibers based on either the 30-06 or 308 will are a better choice for most hunting. Only when you start talking the bigger animals at ranges past 300 yards do the magnums offer much advantage.

Rifles are a precision tool, more recoil does not lead to more precision most of the time.

I would get a 308 20 inch barrel and good 180 grain round .This rifle would be handy to use in close conditions .

It's more about bullet construction than weight or diameter. Each of the proposed have a lot of stoutly constructed bullets to choose from. My choice would be Partitions.

That said, you never defined "short range". If that meant the game you listed at 300yds or less I'd be inclined to go with something that didn't kick as much and would lean heavily to a 30-06 with a 180gr or 200gr Partition.

Based on your original question, if it were me, I'd go with the 300 for the heavier bullets, but the 7mm would do anything you asked of it without issue. For your other questions, IMO, any decent factory rifle should shoot MOA once you find the bullets it likes. As suggested above, handle a variety to find the one that appeals and 'fits' you the best. Most should be in the $1000 range give or take, with Sako and Weatherby being more. There are many options but its tough to beat Leupold, either VX3i or VX5. Given the forum, you may want to check out: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-action-rifle-300-winchester-magnum/p/1535772

I find this question kind of strange. I didn't look up stats on energy for these 2 cartridges at close range, but I wouldn't think they're very different. Not sure they're be all that different from most other center-fire rifles of similar diameter. Magnums tend to shine as hunting rifles at longer ranges.

Earlier you mention recoil is not a factor but now mention that this will be your first rifle. If you have shot several different calibers, then you would have a good feel about the recoil.

If you are dead set on a magnum,, there is no big game animal you will ever get to hunt in North America that the 7mm will not easily cover.

Personally, most of the various calibers based on either the 30-06 or 308 will are a better choice for most hunting. Only when you start talking the bigger animals at ranges past 300 yards do the magnums offer much advantage.

Rifles are a precision tool, more recoil does not lead to more precision most of the time.
I've shot a lot of 12g 10g shotguns sometimes more then 150 rounds a day
I found out online that a 12g 3" is worst then a 300wm so i think its fonna be okay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200603-183512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200603-183512_Chrome.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 2
I found out online that a 12g 3" is worst then a 300wm so i think its fonna be okay.

It's a little apple and oranges. A shotgun is shot standing, a rifle rarely so. A shotgun in an instinctive act were the trigger isn't squeezed. A rifle is often shot sitting and on longer shots prone.

Try your shotgun from the laying down position,,you'll see that it smacks you around more than when standing.

Go with a 300 mag. 180’s for bear and moose and 165’s fLy flat and hammer deer. Or buy yourself a 338 win mag and you would be real set for moose and bear 😜

• Haha
For close range work, (guessing 100 yards and closer), neither of your choices.

Hunting brush or short range, 45 Colt.
Or better yet 45-70.

Last edited:
Already bought sako a7 300 wn thx anyways
There was a Sako A7 .300 Win for sale on another forum. Killer deal. By the time I was gonna post the link, it was gone. Look like nice rifles. mtmuley

There was a Sako A7 .300 Win for sale on another forum. Killer deal. By the time I was gonna post the link, it was gone. Look like nice rifles. mtmuley
i bought one june 4th
I already have a magazine feeding issue hhh
This is how lucky I'm

300MW
not poking you. But if you read it on the internet it must be true. You really should shoot a 300wm before you believe that. iRL there are too many variables to make that statement

I have a 30-30 that hurts me. I shoot a 3” BPS12 gauge comfortably. YMMV. go shoot them.

Congrats on the 300 Winny. it was my first rifle at 16 also.

One advantage to the 30 cal is you can shoot a heavier bullet. Close range , dangerous game big heavy bullets are your friend.
7mm factory goes up to 180 gr.
300 WM factory loads as heavy as 220 gr.

My brother has an A7 in .243. He likes it a lot and it shoots nice - with no issues. Good luck with the new purchase. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

I have shot mule deer and elk from 50 yards to 400 yards using my 300wm and 180 grain AB's with great results. -----R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back