PEAX Equipment

7mm Rem mag bullet suggestions?

Mthuntinfool

I just purchased a Howa 1500 in a 7mm rem mag, and never having shot this caliber before I was looking for some bullets that others have had good results with. Thanks!

160 gr interbonds for elk and 160gr sst for deer and antelope.

160 grain nosler accubond. Don't look back.

I think I'm on year ten of shooting these out of mine, I've been lucky enough to try it on a lot of animals in that span, and have been very happy with their performance.

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm usually a die-hard hornady guy, but something about them seems to have changed in the last few years and they don't preform as well, so I will try both barnes and nosler and see what she likes to eat best.

I shoot 160 Partitions for elk and 139 Interlocks for deer. You cannot go wrong with a Partition or Accubond from 140 grains to 175. If you are going to be shooting deer, then any bullet will do the job, but for elk, the premiums will give you more consistent results. The Ballistic tips and SSTs have worked on elk but will usually not penetrate well before dynamiting unless it is at extended range. They have produced some miserable failures.

The bottom line is that only you can make the decision based on what you want and how much money you are willing to spend on testing.

160 accubonds are my first choice, been piling up a bunch of game last couple years havent recovered one yet,,,,,, my son is shooting the 168 berger classic, the last 3 years he has stacked up a bunch of game also,,,,,,

Barnes TSX gave me a 3 shot group at 100 I could cover with a quarter. Federal premium gave me a group I could cover with a .50 piece. I have the Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm rem mag manufactured by Howa. The difference is insignificant by the results are remarkable. I will admit to one flinch that sent a flier about 6" up to the right, nobody is perfect.

Anyone using 175 accubonds ? I thinking of using that round in B.C. for moose , elk goat hunt.

I have used 160 gr. nosler partitiion in my various 7 mm's for 35+ years and have always liked how they perform. I use 61.5 to 63 grains(depending on the gun) of IMR 4831 powder with CCI 250 primers. Comes out at about 3000 FPS. Have killed two shiras moose with this load ( one at app. 300 yds) and neither went more than 20 yards.

Uhhhh, let me see. I started with 139 Interlocks, switched to 140 Partitions, then 162 Hornady SPBT's. Stayed with those for awhile, until Nosler came out with the Solid Base. Really liked those. They were awesome on deer. Nosler stopped making those so I went to the 150gr Ballistic Tip. Kept the exact same charge as for the 162 SB, and got about a 100fps boost. Hunted with those for about 5 yrs and 15 deer later, when I figured out Eastern whitetails don't need a Mag, so I went to my 308 carbine. Fast forward another 5 yrs and another 15 deer, when I fell in love with the 7mm/08 after borrowing one two weeks after back surgery and couldn't take 20+ lbs of recoil. I've never looked back.

Pick a 150-162 gr Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, etc and start playing. Let the rifle tell you which one it likes.

150 grain core-loks on elk and deer. Couldn't be any deader.
I second this. Especially if you don't handload. I use 175 grain on elk.
Core-locs can't be beat in price either compared to $40-$60 for those premium loads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back