Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

7mm-08 Obsolete for a Mountain Rifle Cartridge?

I have been looking for a 5.75 lb or under 7mm-08 rifle to replace my Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle which I had to give to my wife… The problem is I am just not finding a lot of manufacturers, Kimber, Weatherby etc. making a mountain weight rifle in the caliber. The lowest I can find is seven lbs, which is inconceivable. Am I overlooking manufacturers? Is it a conspiracy with the 6.5 guys? What is going on?

And yes, I could find a Ruger American or a Savage, but I want a three position safety a hinged floorplate, and 22” or longer barrel.
You have received some very fine advise from the gentlemen here, but wanted to add---

Mauser mades a "3 position" rifle in the "18" line and the word is they will be adding the 7mm-08 caliber in 2022. Unfortunately it comes in at 6.5# but the barrels are 22 and 24

Also, I am sure some of the fellows here will be able to tell you whether or not Gentry ( in Montana ) are good people or not, but they do make a nice 3 position safety.

They do not or will not use wood for the stock, so that works for you. The cost will be the problem here, as I would guess a rifle from those folks would be upward of 2500 dollars.

Best of luck in your search

I dont think I ever weighed a gun before today but you all had me curious.

My Remington 700 7mm-08, 22" barrel, fiberglass McMillan stock w/recoil pad, hinged-floor plate, and Nikon 3-9×40 weighs in at 7.55lbs.

Last edited:
I love the obsession with the 7mm-08 on this site. Does someone have “stock” in it? It is a great cartridge, but it’s hilarious that the 6.5 cm gets bashed because of its popularity. On this site the hype train is all-around the 7. We should do a blind shoot test and see if anyone can tell the difference! I love them both. Here’s a great blog with tons of details comparing the two. 7-08 v 6.5

I love the obsession with the 7mm-08 on this site. Does someone have “stock” in it? It is a great cartridge, but it’s hilarious that the 6.5 cm gets bashed because of its popularity. On this site the hype train is all-around the 7. We should do a blind shoot test and see if anyone can tell the difference! I love them both. Here’s a great blog with tons of details comparing the two. 7-08 v 6.5
I already reload for it… don’t want to add a forth caliber to those that I do

If you’re able to compromise on the weight a bit, Winchester offers the model 70 extreme weather and extreme tungsten in 7-08 with all the other features you want, but at 6.75 lb. I have one in 6.5 and am extremely happy. I bought it to replace my Bergara B14 which was way too heavy for humping up mountains after it was all kitted up. Those two Winchesters weigh the same as the featherweight model, which also happens to be available 7-08.

If you’re able to compromise on the weight a bit, Winchester offers the model 70 extreme weather and extreme tungsten in 7-08 with all the other features you want, but at 6.75 lb. I have one in 6.5 and am extremely happy. I bought it to replace my Bergara B14 which was way too heavy for humping up mountains after it was all kitted up. Those two Winchesters weigh the same as the featherweight model, which also happens to be available 7-08.
I have one in 300 WSM and love it. That’s why I’m looking for the super lightweight for the 7-08, I don’t need magnum much power hunting in Kentucky.

I had a model 7. Shot it a lot. One day the trigger got really heavy. My warrant time was over. I took it to a gunmsmith. Turns out the trigger was just cheap white cast metal covered with a hard plating. I wore out that hard plating.

I paid for another factory trigger, had it installed then sold it. For a variety of similar reasons, poor quality, I sold all my remingtons,

On another one I shot a lot, I had to replace the extracror twice. They are Ok if not really used,,,,fired 1000x times, but it shot a lot you soo realize they are beer can quaiity,

I have been looking for a 5.75 lb or under 7mm-08 rifle to replace my Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle which I had to give to my wife… The problem is I am just not finding a lot of manufacturers, Kimber, Weatherby etc. making a mountain weight rifle in the caliber. The lowest I can find is seven lbs, which is inconceivable. Am I overlooking manufacturers? Is it a conspiracy with the 6.5 guys? What is going on?

And yes, I could find a Ruger American or a Savage, but I want a three position safety a hinged floorplate, and 22” or longer barrel.
I love my Kimber Hunter. Was under $800, shoots MOA out of the box, 5 3/4 pounds, 24 inch barrel, three position safety and came with real decent trigger.

Another vote for the M70. I have an Extreme Weather in 7mm08 and it’s becoming one of my favorite rifles. Top it with a Leupold in Talleys and load up some 140 Accubonds and you’re ready to go for most of North America.

There is a sure cure for the heavy mountain rifle. Life weight's and work out till you can carry a heavier rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back