7mm-08 Obsolete for a Mountain Rifle Cartridge?

With the Cooper at $486/lb you also get the added “benefit” of it making your wallet lighter as well. J/k, great rifle and pretty damn light even with I believe a 24”bbl (26” with the break)👍🏻

In about the same price range, anyone here with the Weatherby Backcountry Ti? I think those are tipping the scales at about 4.9lbs but finding one to “touch” is akin to petting one of these guys 🦄

With the Cooper at $486/lb you also get the added “benefit” of it making your wallet lighter as well. J/k, great rifle and pretty damn light even with I believe a 24”bbl (26” with the break)👍🏻

In about the same price range, anyone here with the Weatherby Backcountry Ti? I think those are tipping the scales at about 4.9lbs but finding one to “touch” is akin to petting one of these guys 🦄
That is some serious math. I’m seeing a few of the carbon stalkers pop up on gun broker, but until it has a different stock I can’t pull the trigger. Pricing wasn’t bad at all though.

Just wondering, what would make a 7mm-08 obsolete as a mountain rifle cartridge?

Just wondering, what would make a 7mm-08 obsolete as a mountain rifle cartridge?
The OP mentioned he was having a hard time finding a rifle he liked chambered in it. The reason for that is supposedly not enough demand for the caliber. I may be mistaken, but I believe believe Randy has a post somewhere in another thread mentioning that Howa plans to discontinue making rifles chambered for it due to lack of sales. That said, I don’t think it’ll go obsolete. I think it’ll always have enough of a following for some manufactures to chamber it. .257 Robert’s is a good example. It has been “obsolete” now for decades, but there’s still enough interest in the caliber that some manufacturers still make rifles chambered for it.

Last edited:
The OP mentioned he was having a hard time finding a rifle he liked chambered in it. The reason for that is supposedly not enough demand for the caliber. I may be mistaken, but I believe believe Randy has a post somewhere in another thread mentioning that Howa plans to discontinue making rifles chambered for it due to lack of sales. That said, I don’t think it’ll go obsolete. I think it’ll always have enough of a following for some manufactures to chamber it. .257 Robert’s is a good example. It has been “obsolete” now for decades, but there’s still enough interest in the caliber that some manufacturers still make rifles chambered for it.
Nailed it Mako. I can find 7-8+ lb rifles but a lightweight mountain rifle (less than 6 lbs )is impossible to find and isn’t listed as available calibers for those rifles. I love the 7mm-08 and think it will always be my go to for most applications.

Nailed it Mako. I can find 7-8+ lb rifles but a lightweight mountain rifle (less than 6 lbs )is impossible to find and isn’t listed as available calibers for those rifles. I love the 7mm-08 and think it will always be my go to for most applications.
Seems to me if you want a rifle in any cartridge less than 6lbs your pretty much gonna have to go custom! is there a manufacturer anywhere that makes a standard run of rifles under 6lbs?

Ability and desire are two different subjects, if I can carry four more pounds of gear or optics or whatever, why carry a heavier rifle?
Law of diminishing returns is something to consider. Carrying around an 11lb rifle in the mountains kinda sucks… but to get from 6.5lbs to 5.75lbs is tough and expensive.

I settle for a tikka veil. Saved me 3+lbs on my current rifle and had all the features I wanted, ymmv.

Seems to me if you want a rifle in any cartridge less than 6lbs your pretty much gonna have to go custom! is there a manufacturer anywhere that makes a standard run of rifles under 6lbs?
Kimber and howa do, but not currently offering (or very rarely offering) in 7mm-08. They were the reason I made the post.

Depending upon your budget, perhaps a NULA model 20.
Rifle weight of 5lb.
$3,500 (add $100 for left hand)
Magazine length of 3 inches also allows for use of the 284 Win.

The 24B in 280 Rem i had with Sightron 4-12X40 was just under 7lb. When i bought it (used) it was missing the Talley rings. I put an EGW 20 MOA one piece base & Vortex Viper rings. Still light weight, but not as light as the Talley's.

Not the 22” barrel, but a really cool rifle
I have a Sako Finnlight in .308 with the 20.25" barrel. My Friend has a Tika in .308 with a .22 inch barrel. I get a 100'/sec greater velocity with the exact same load.

The finnlight and carbon light 20.25 inch barrels are match grade and really tight. Plus they have a faster twist. I once was a bit sceptical about the short barrell in Sako's but I get it now, they are a much better barrel. They hardly ever foul with copper bullets, are very stable when hotter from many repeated firings and they shoot faster.

I have a friend with a 6,5x55 swede in a Finnlight and the velocity he gets is way more in a shorter barrel than I get out of my model 70 with a longer barrel.

Do not be leery of a sako with a 20.25 inch barrel

A Sako Finnlight in 7mm-08 weighing just over 6 pounds would be my choice for an all around rifle in a heart beat

I have a Sako Finnlight in .308 with the 20.25" barrel. My Friend has a Tika in .308 with a .22 inch barrel. I get a 100'/sec greater velocity with the exact same load.

The finnlight and carbon light 20.25 inch barrels are match grade and really tight. Plus they have a faster twist. I once was a bit sceptical about the short barrell in Sako's but I get it now, they are a much better barrel. They hardly ever foul with copper bullets, are very stable when hotter from many repeated firings and they shoot faster.

I have a friend with a 6,5x55 swede in a Finnlight and the velocity he gets is way more in a shorter barrel than I get out of my model 70 with a longer barrel.

Do not be leery of a sako with a 20.25 inch barrel

A Sako Finnlight in 7mm-08 weighing just over 6 pounds would be my choice for an all around rifle in a heart beat
I own a Sako Finnlight in 7-08 and it is fantastic. I know it’s slightly above the OPs desired weight, but I’d strongly consider that model if I were him. I can’t recommend it enough. I use it for everything now.

I own a Sako Finnlight in 7-08 and it is fantastic. I know it’s slightly above the OPs desired weight, but I’d strongly consider that model if I were him. I can’t recommend it enough. I use it for everything now.
Yes Yes on the Finnlight.

About a 15 years ago, I bought the .308 Finnlight I mentioned above. It was very lightly used, I got it for $1,000.

I actually wanted a 7mm-08, but this rifle came along used and it has been such a solid winner that I am just so pleased I cannot say enough good about it. I have more than resolved any issues wishing I had the 7mm-08, great as it is.

I have a 280 AI, had two 7x57's and also a 280 Remington. I have covered the 7mm base quite well.

Regarding the Finnligt. I have the model 75. I like the stock design over the 85, that said 75 verus 85 is a mute point.

My Sako Finnlight is ferociously accuarate and so consistent. The old optilock rings/bases are around, expensive and worth every penny. I have two, the unltra-low with a fixed 2x scope which is the most natural fast shooting set up I have ever owned. It is so low and so close to iron sights, what a tool for in the thick and fast shooting.

I have a medium set of rings that carry a vintage 2.5-8x Leopold for general duty. With those original optilock rings I can switch back and forth in a minute with no change in POI at all.

I can adjust my trigger pull myself with an allen wrench. The Sako is stand above in quality compared to a Tikka, but you do pay for it.

John Barsness of gunwriter fame once said that the match grade barrel alone was worth as much as an entire Tikka. I have found this to be true.

To get a rifle lighter, as is my Kimber hunter the bottom metal, and trigger guard must be gone or plastic.. I miss that bottom metal, that the Sako Finnlight has.

Here is my final compliment to my Finnlight in .308. Were I going to Africa for plains game, that is the only rifle I would take.

It has a twist for heavier bullets, shoots Barnes bullets 1/2 " MOA and that barrel though short is so tight the velocity it delivers

is just amazing.

MR

Glad to hear it will be offered next year as I think it is the perfect elk caliber for youth and mountain guns. Hope Finn does a whole season with just the 7-.08 as a YouTube influencer and it popularity comes back.

When any shooting enthusiast is going to make a list of the most legendary,,,,almost mystical and magical cartridges of all time, ones that though lesser, but has provem itself over and over on the bigger game, even game that bites and claw back,,,,the 7x57 mauser would be on the short list of three. Many, myself included would rate it number ONE. The 7x57 proved it's merit to me over and over when I was shooting huge wild boar on depredation permits,,,some legally in the moon light.

The 7mm-08 will shoot my favorite 7X57 bullet, the 145 grain Barnes long range X,,, 250'/second faster than my 7x57.

That is clout. It exceeds the .284 with that bullet by a margin of about 100'/sec. That is swagger. And all from a diminutive case that just seems to have a near perfect combination efficient factors.

That sniper wanna be cartridge the 6,5 Creed has gotten a lot credit as a target and hutinng round. The first, is very well deserved, the second is exagerated..

If any list of more modern cartidges were to be made,,,,,lauding them for peformance above and beyond all expectations, the 7mm-08 would be in the top three, and I would vote it number ONE

I’m trying to figure out why 7lbs is just too heavy.

I like a 7mm-08, but realistically, unless you’re planning to go over 156gr, a 6.5CM is a better option. It will almost match the velocity with same weight bullets, but they have a higher SD which is good for both BC and penetration. If you’re planning to go over 156gr, a 280/280AI will sure outperform a 7mm-08. It’s been boxed in on either side. That’s likely why it’s sales are waning again. None of that means that it does’t work great.

For Western hunting, where a flat trajectory and bucking the wind are big advantages, short action, non-magnum cartridges really start getting beat up once they exceed .264”.

Last edited:
When any shooting enthusiast is going to make a list of the most legendary,,,,almost mystical and magical cartridges of all time, ones that though lesser, but has provem itself over and over on the bigger game, even game that bites and claw back,,,,the 7x57 mauser would be on the short list of three. Many, myself included would rate it number ONE. The 7x57 proved it's merit to me over and over when I was shooting huge wild boar on depredation permits,,,some legally in the moon light.

The 7mm-08 will shoot my favorite 7X57 bullet, the 145 grain Barnes long range X,,, 250'/second faster than my 7x57.

That is clout. It exceeds the .284 with that bullet by a margin of about 100'/sec. That is swagger. And all from a diminutive case that just seems to have a near perfect combination efficient factors.

That sniper wanna be cartridge the 6,5 Creed has gotten a lot credit as a target and hutinng round. The first, is very well deserved, the second is exagerated..

If any list of more modern cartidges were to be made,,,,,lauding them for peformance above and beyond all expectations, the 7mm-08 would be in the top three, and I would vote it number ONE
Is this a joke? I’m actually not trying to be mean, but I can’t tell if you’re serious or trolling.

Is this a joke? I’m actually not trying to be mean, but I can’t tell if you’re serious or trolling.
I do not know what trolling means.

No it is not a joke,,,unless one on me at 73. I think I am still in some vortex from the past. To me a 7mm-08 is a new cartirdge.

Bear in mind that this next big game season will be my 59th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back