7mm-08 Obsolete for a Mountain Rifle Cartridge?

G. McAlister

I have been looking for a 5.75 lb or under 7mm-08 rifle to replace my Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle which I had to give to my wife… The problem is I am just not finding a lot of manufacturers, Kimber, Weatherby etc. making a mountain weight rifle in the caliber. The lowest I can find is seven lbs, which is inconceivable. Am I overlooking manufacturers? Is it a conspiracy with the 6.5 guys? What is going on?

And yes, I could find a Ruger American or a Savage, but I want a three position safety a hinged floorplate, and 22” or longer barrel.

Kimber will give you a 3 position safety in a 5 pound 7 ounce rifle, may not have a hinged floorplate option, what I see is a detach mag version. The Tikka SuperLite is about the same if you are willing to give up the 3 position safety for a 2 position one. I guess if price is not a factor you could have a custom build done.

I've got a .308 Win prototype coming my way that is lighter than the old Alpine Mountain Rifle. What they end up being as a final offering, I'm not sure. I suspect they'll come in a 7mm-08 or 6.5PRC, or both.

I do have a sub-7# 7mm-08 that I'll be using this fall. We are working on trimming that one down even further. I really like it so far.

As Howas, they'll come with a floor plate and 3-position safety. Unfortunately, I think these are all 2022 offerings.

Good luck in your search.

I've got a .308 Win prototype coming my way that is lighter than the old Alpine Mountain Rifle. What they end up being as a final offering, I'm not sure. I suspect they'll come in a 7mm-08 or 6.5PRC, or both.

I do have a sub-7# 7mm-08 that I'll be using this fall. We are working on trimming that one down even further. I really like it so far.

As Howas, they'll come with a floor plate and 3-position safety. Unfortunately, I think these are all 2022 offerings.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks BigFin! Best news I have heard in a while, looking forward to hear how it shoots.

Sounds like you just need a custom rifle. If you already know EXACTLY what you want, but can’t find it, then you will either have to compromise on the features or have one custom built. It could be as easy as buying a used gun and rebarreling.

Last edited:
Back