Yeti GOBOX Collection

7,700 acres of new public access for KS

nontyp

KS BHA had the honor of organizing an event to help sign 7,700 new WIHA acres in KS today. I don’t do social media so I figured I would share here. There is another large property in the works that will hopefully be signed up soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6141.jpeg
    IMG_6141.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
Anytime you get a thumbs up from the finlander himself you're probably doing something right!

I've been on a handful of bird hunts in ks over the years. Amazing place. Thank you for the hard work!

if u mean planting birds, there’s definitely no need. They’re wild and native here and plenty for the taking.
You plant trees but transplant birds and animals. Was meaning its a very barren looking place without trees.

That's awesome. The WIHA program really is a shining beacon of private-public cooperation. Hopefully the added lands are in one of my two deer units out west.

No such thing, trees are the most precious things in the environment, you can increase the carrying capacity of the area two to three fold by planting copses.
Don't let the utopian theorists dictate their rubbish, let common sense work it's wonder.

No such thing, trees are the most precious things in the environment, you can increase the carrying capacity of the area two to three fold by planting copses.
Don't let the utopian theorists dictate their rubbish, let common sense work it's wonder.

Short grass prairie has been present for millennia in Kansas. You start adding trees to the landscape and native prairie chickens disappear due to flying predators having perches to watch for them. Trees, agricultural practices and animal husbandry has put a massive pressure on these birds.

The lack of regular fire is allowing more shrubs and trees to encroach onto previously unbroken prairie.

Short grass prairie has been present for millennia in Kansas. You start adding trees to the landscape and native prairie chickens disappear due to flying predators having perches to watch for them. Trees, agricultural practices and animal husbandry has put a massive pressure on these birds.

The lack of regular fire is allowing more shrubs and trees to encroach onto previously unbroken prairie.
I would of thought that more birds could breed by roosting in the trees and being able to avoid predators, you must have tons of predators right?

I would of thought that more birds could breed by roosting in the trees and being able to avoid predators, you must have tons of predators right?

All our grouse, quail, Prairie chicken (greater and lesser) non-native pheasants and partridge and turkeys are ground nesting.

For turkeys, the hen and her nest are vulnerable to predation, and after hatching it will be a fortnight before the poults are able to take the trees. Quail and pheasants basically never use trees for safety.

I would of thought that more birds could breed by roosting in the trees and being able to avoid predators
Trees actually invite predators. Hawks and eagles use them to perch up high and get a view and rest. Keep the trees out of the prairie besides riparian areas.
No such thing, trees are the most precious things in the environment
Prairies are better for the environment than trees, if you are talking carbon capture.
Link --> Grasslands More Reliable Carbon Sink Than Trees

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back