Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

6MM for cow elk? Ok choice for close cow/calf ?

Coyotes-R-Us

What is your opinion ?

You know about my Lazar, I mean the 6mm rem I put together.
I shoot a TTS 80 gr Barnes at 3600 fps in a group about an inch at 200 yards off my bipods.
I got draw for an elk damage hunt over in Valentine Mt.
I can shoot two cow/calf.
I talked with the rancher and he said the elk are hanging around the hey stacks and now that there is a lot of snow there staying there all day.
All that said;
Do you think I would be ok shooting my 6mm ?
I have the Marlin 45/70 300 gr Hornady HP 2495 fps. I know that is a better choice but I have killed elk with it before.
The boy has a Kimber 6.5 Creedmoor I could use but I have never shot it.
Then there is there 338/378 , I'm not a fan of this rifle.
I'll bet you can guess why. BUT it does kill elk...
Then maybe the 375 H&H but I regress...
I'm asking about the 6mm.
Anything under 200 yards and I feel confident I can put the bullet any place I want .

What's your honest thoughts?

I plan to shoot two, probably in the same spot/herd.

For me the 6mm is too small. Lose an elk once due to no blood trail since they have thick fur and that may change your opinion like it did mine. Luckily I found my elk, but it is not worth it again.

I wouldn’t hesitate a minute to use the 6mm.

I've taken one elk with my 6mm Remington using 100 gr. Partitions. My son has also taken one with his 6mm using a 90 gr. E-tip. I would use your 6mm Remington and feel comfortable with it. My son's cow was at 350 yards. He hit her tight behind the right shoulder and the bullet penetrated and exited the off-side left shoulder. She went about 20 yards and tipped over. That 90 gr. E-tip really impressed me. My spike bull was at about 30 yards in heavy timber. I put the bullet right into the center of his right shoulder. The bullet penetrated and exited his left side just in front of his left shoulder. He staggered a few steps and stopped and was dead on his feet. I did not want him going anyplace so I shot him once more in the neck and he dropped.

Good placement and really good bullets trumps bad placement any day.

If you find that surprising, there's an poster from MT that occasionally posts here that would blow your mind with what he's done with a 220 Swift...

That really surprises me for 2 reasons: that is below the minimum caliber for quite a few states. And it also surprises me because of the ethics if that is used on elk. That would hopefully garner more discussion than my thread on handguns for lions.

I've witnessed a rancher from central Montana take a couple elk with a 22-250. No it's not ideal but he pokes them in the ribs/lungs, and they die.

He did concede that the 22-250 was too small for elk and went back to his 6mm Remington for elk and called it his big rifle! This man knows the country and can take his time and pick his shots though unlike most of us who have limited time to go hunting and might have to take a tough shot. There are lots of things that come into play here.

Last edited:
humor caveat

I wouldn’t hesitate a minute to use the 6mm.

*Yea, well, that's just, like your opinion, man.;)

How many elk have you taken with a .244? I'm curious.

Last edited:
That really surprises me for 2 reasons: that is below the minimum caliber for quite a few states. And it also surprises me because of the ethics if that is used on elk. That would hopefully garner more discussion than my thread on handguns for lions.

I'd probably use a bigger caliber if it was under different circumstances, but these elk are going to be in an open field with snow on the ground and with a decent shot in the vitals one shouldn't go very far and will be dead within sight.

I'd be cautious of questioning the ethics of the guy Pointer is talking about and what he's done with a .220 swift. I doubt any of the boatload of critters that have been shot with his rifle lived long enough to question anything to do with ethics...

Also, unless something has changed very recently, its perfectly legal to hunt elk, moose, bears, etc. with a .22 short or a .17 rimfire in Montana.

I've shot both bull and cow elk with .243's and 6mm's. The bull I killed with my 6mm was hauling ass through the timber and I punched him through both shoulders with a 100 grain partition. Pretty impressive performance, and I'd use either again without even thinking twice about it.

I also shot a mule deer in Montana with a .22 magnum at about 80 yards. Shot it behind the shoulder, ran maybe 40 yards and that was that.

Last edited:
I've witnessed a rancher from central Montana take a couple elk with a 22-250. No it's not ideal but he pokes them in the ribs/lungs, and they die.

He did concede that the 22-250 was too small for elk and went back to his 6mm Remington for elk and called it his big rifle! This man knows the country and can take his time and pick his shots though unlike most of us who have limited time to go hunting and might have to take a tough shot. There are lots of things that come into play here.

The open field makes a big difference. My bad experience was a 40yd shot with a 25.06 and 115gr Barnes bullet. The shot was perfect behind the shoulder, as you would expect at that range, and there was snow on the ground. However there was no blood trail and the herd, which I couldn't see due to timber, bailed off the hill together on very steep, timbered ground so following tracks was quite a chore. Anyway, since that incident I feel I owe an elk sized animal a larger caliber to ensure quick lethality and hopefully a blood trail, or serious stopping power. If you have never had an experience like mine which took over 12 hours to end, then you probably think my shooting of a large caliber is an ego thing. But if you have, then maybe you can relate to my decision. Either way, apparently I am in the minority on this. Oh well.

I know there is no replacement for displacement .
Hence the 45/70 and 338.
But if there was a time to try it, it's on this hunt...

*Yea, well, that's just, like your opinion, man.;)

How many elk have you taken with a .244? I'm curious.

Opinions are like elbows and assholes, right?:). My big gun right now is the 6.5 Man Bun.

Off the top of my head, between me and Krista I’m thinking four. All cows , all between 250-350 yards, and no worries in finding any of them.

I’ve shot a lot more with the 338-06 I sold last year, and to be honest average recovery distance between the two guns is very similar.

On a depredation for undisturbed elk, no problem with the 6mm. And that guy that uses the Swift, he ain't no ordinary rifle shooter. Makes a difference. mtmuley

If you find that surprising, there's an poster from MT that occasionally posts here that would blow your mind with what he's done with a 220 Swift...

Yup, there are a fair number of old Bozeman boys that have done an awful lotta' work with the .220 and the .22-250. Not really mind blowing.
If you can shoot, you can do stuff with whatever caliber regardless of the ad nauseum volume of ink that has been dedicated to the "which caliber" topic........
My smallest caliber is a .25-06:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back