Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

6.5?

If I ever get a 6.5 which I may for the kids, it'll be the 6.5x55 swede. It's been killing moose since the 1890's in a great low recoil good performance non nonsense round.

If you want performance my brother once built a 6.5x300wsm built on a kimber montana. That was a beast of a thing though had trouble reloading.

Long action. Classic 6.5x55...im running MRP (similar burn to R22) in mine and pushing 142 ABLR at 2929fps

Both cartridges hold at least some interest to me.
Although if i run accross a magnum action for the right price i would build a 6.5mm Rem Mag.

I don't own a Winchester yet. And really have not much interest in owning a Remington.

So the Winchester action would be my pick.

I can't stand a useless control round fed action, so I would pick the Remington. If you could find a push fed M70, then it would a wash for me even though it has a 3 position safety.

I built my 6.5 SAUM on a remington long action. I can seat the bullet up to the lands and have it cycle just fine out of a magazine.

I find it interesting that people complain about Winchester control round feed.
But not Mauser, or the Ruger M77..

Curious.....

I find it interesting that people complain about Winchester control round feed.
But not Mauser, or the Ruger M77..

Curious.....

From what I have been reading the Newer Winchester FN actions are the best that were ever made in the model 70. The Pre64 has such a huge following that a lot of folks can’t accept Winchester having a CRF that’s good.

It seems to be a action that is either loved or hated. I like it because the WSM comes with a Mag length of 3.0.

If the 6.5 Creedmoor didn't do well enough for you, probably no other cartridge will either. take another look at how well the shots were placed! I have never shot the 6.5 Creedmoor but have shot two elk with my 6.5x06, both one shot and down. It's about bullet's and shot placement! For me a light weight rifle, think that's what you said, can't have a barrel longer than 22" max. For every inch you shorten the brrel, you also lose some velocity. You lose velocity and you loose energy. My idea is something like any cartridge on a 308 length case need's a 22" barrel max to make the most of the cartridge. On the 30-06 case go below the 24" barrel and your castrating the thing! For myself my 6.5x55 on a mod 70 Fether weight would work fine. I have no doubt that either a 6.5 CM or a 260 Rem would do as well. They didn't exist when I got this 6.5x55. I think for what you want the CM is ideal! the 6.5x284 may be everything people say it is but I think it's down fall is the short action rifle, someone else mentioned that. With the heavier more suitable bullet's in 6.5, the SA magazine length will hamper it. I had a 6mm Rem in a short action. Couldn't load 100 gr bullet's out where I wanted. On the up side, even though, it still killed deer very well! Probablty the 6.5x284 would kill elk also with 140gr bullet's in a SA rifle but, this is not aout what is, threads like this are about what can be. I think your 6.5 CM is about as good as your gonna get for a light mountain rifle!

Don, quite simply that is a dumb post. If you don’t know the ballistic differences between a 6.5-06 and a Creedmoor you have ZERO right to call some one out on shot placement. That kind of comment has no place in a thread discussing two different actions and cartridges.

I built a 6.5x257Rob AI in an attempt to get really high velocities while using less powder, and thus getting more barrel life than a 6.5-284. I’ve hit 3400fps with 130s and 3300fps with 140s, but the best accuracy has been around 3175fps with either bullet weight. That’s using a 30” barrel and coated bullets. When the 6.5-284 was popular in F-Class guys with 30” barrels were rarely achieving anything over 3100fps. I’m not sure why though. I’m using 1-2gr less powder than published loads in a 6.5-284 in a cartridge with very similar body taper and shoulder angle with about 7% less volume. I would think that a 6.5-284 would be the easy route to equal performance.

I have started accumulating parts for a lightweight pack rifle in 6.5-06. Here is what I got:

Rem 700 LA, fluted bolt and skeletonized bolt handle (done by Kampfeld), PTG aluminum bolt shroud, aluminum BDL bottom metal, Timney trigger, Talley rings, Leupold VX3 4.5-14 scope

Ordered a Brux #2 barrel, and McMillan Edge stock

I'll have Eddie Fosnaugh put it together once he is done with a 300 win that he is building for me. Will have the action trued, barrel finished at 24", and metal Cerakoted graphite black.

6.5 x 284. Great brass and factory ammo if you ever need it. Works best in a long action.

I have serious plans to own a 6.5 PRC ,after looking it over and seeing brass become more available, and more importantly, talking to guys that have been shooting and loading one for a while now.
A 140 gets pushed over 3100 without over pressure. Very efficient powder burn, and reasonable recoil with flat trajectory.
It will need a long action to be able to get full advantage of the design.
But a 22-24" barrel gets full powder use and velocity.
Far more velocity than the creed more, or the .260 Rem.

I have serious plans to own a 6.5 PRC ,after looking it over and seeing brass become more available, and more importantly, talking to guys that have been shooting and loading one for a while now.
A 140 gets pushed over 3100 without over pressure. Very efficient powder burn, and reasonable recoil with flat trajectory.
It will need a long action to be able to get full advantage of the design.
But a 22-24" barrel gets full powder use and velocity.
Far more velocity than the creed more, or the .260 Rem.

No need for a LA, a remmy with this kit runs smoothly. https://wyattsoutdoor.com/product/short-action-mid-length-prc-kit/

I have started accumulating parts for a lightweight pack rifle in 6.5-06. Here is what I got:

Rem 700 LA, fluted bolt and skeletonized bolt handle (done by Kampfeld), PTG aluminum bolt shroud, aluminum BDL bottom metal, Timney trigger, Talley rings, Leupold VX3 4.5-14 scope

Ordered a Brux #2 barrel, and McMillan Edge stock

I'll have Eddie Fosnaugh put it together once he is done with a 300 win that he is building for me. Will have the action trued, barrel finished at 24", and metal Cerakoted graphite black.

30mm or 1" scope tube?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back