Yeti GOBOX Collection

6.5 Grendel vs .243 win

That’s where I am leaning. She shoots my 223 lights out and we have used it for deer under 100yds successfully. But I want something with minimal recoil that will get us closer to 200-250 yards. Think I going to grab a Grendel in a howa mini ! Thanks!
I love my Howa mini 6.5G. Silly accurate and smooth bolt (though slightly heavier bolt lift than you’d expect)

The Grendel is fine, not my favorite of the AR capable cartridges. Personally, I think the 6 ARC is a better cartridge. The Grendel can't quite push the good 6.5 hunting projectiles to the velocities they should be at. The ARC hits a sweet spot in projectile weight and action size. I put together a .260Rem for my niece's first deer hunt this year, but if her dad had wanted her to use an AR it would have been an ARC.

The Grendel is fine, not my favorite of the AR capable cartridges. Personally, I think the 6 ARC is a better cartridge. The Grendel can't quite push the good 6.5 hunting projectiles to the velocities they should be at. The ARC hits a sweet spot in projectile weight and action size. I put together a .260Rem for my niece's first deer hunt this year, but if her dad had wanted her to use an AR it would have been an ARC.
What's the velocity difference between the ARC and grendel pushing a 123gr bullet?
Curios what velocities you're getting from 105s, I get close to 3000 fps with 100gr ballistic tips out of a 6.5 grendel with a 20inch barrel

I’ve killed deer with the Grendel and a lot of deer with the .223. Inside of 300 yds I honestly can’t tell a difference other than the Grendel usually gets and exit.
A fast twist .223 ,1-7, 1-8 is one of the most useful rifles you can own. I have a Tikka CTR .223 that gets shot way more than any other rifle I own. It’s extremeply accurate, long barrel life and cheap to feed. I shoot steel, punch paper and hunt with it. I have a Dillon 550 set up to load just for it. A 75 grain ELDM in the vitals anchors deer a quickly as anything I’ve used. Before fast twist barrels were common I shot deer on nuisance permits with a 12 twist 700 Varmint using 64 grain Winchester power points. A deer hit in the vitals never went very far and everything in front of the diaphragm was jelly.
You came onto a thread about 6.5vs .243 just to tell everyone you have a. 223 and a dillon?

You came onto a thread about 6.5vs .243 just to tell everyone you have a. 223 and a dillon?
Youre right. Someone brought up a .223 as a low recoil option. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Deleted.

Had a Grendel AR and sold it to get away from that. Ammo availability was an issue. It also just didn’t do anything better than was already available. .223, 22-250, .243 all the way.

What's the velocity difference between the ARC and grendel pushing a 123gr bullet?
Curios what velocities you're getting from 105s, I get close to 3000 fps with 100gr ballistic tips out of a 6.5 grendel with a 20inch barrel
My research says they are neck and neck but the ARC retains more velocity down range due to BC. My ARC is 12" so its not a good comparison, but the factory 105s in black are 2300.

Just bought my son who is 8 and almost 5 ft and about 140 lbs a .243 Ruger American compact. We haven't shot it yet but he has used the AR I built in .223 wylde for the past two years, harvesting a big doe and this past weekend during youth season another doe. The deer from last year he shot was right at 400 yards and he hit it in the neck right above the front shoulder and it dropped where she stood. The doe he shot over the weekend was about 50 yards and it hit the ground after running about 50 yards. He doubled lunged it, after he missed a doe at 75 yards and a nice 8 point at 200 yards which I was proud of him for not getting discouraged. I was researching between a .243 and 6.5 grendel and even as far as picking up a 6.5 grendel upper for the AR but it was more than what I would pay for the .243 and it's also nice to teach him more on using a bolt gun.

I'd have to wonder how well a 100gr Balistic tip would hold up at 3000 fps?

I'd have to wonder how well a 100gr Balistic tip would hold up at 3000 fps?
Twas extremely accurate, never tried them on an animal, went with 120s. Have to imagine a 100 gr would hold up as well as any other weight at 3000 fps which wasn't great with ballistic tips tbh. I switched to hammers

I use my Remington .243 for long distance shooting at pronghorn antelope. It hits hard way out there at 300 yards or so without any problems. This cartridge has been slaying animals for over 60 years and remains popular which is saying a lot. But the recoil question has me thinking that the 6.5 Grendel might be a better choice for a very young shooter or for anyone with recoil issues. - TR

antelope buck.JPG

Early in this thread, I pushed for a 7.62x 39, a great chambering.
Since that my GD got a 6.5 Grendel, and has never looked back.
She is now 13 and has shot 6 deer with the Grendel there were 4x4 buck mule deer 150 yards plus.
They have all dropped in their tracks.
Little recoil dead deer, light gun, a howa mini kids stock, 20" barrel.
I have been impressed with it and her shooting.
It will never be an elk gun but any deer under 200 yards is in grave danger.
If you can shoot the 6.5 Grendel will easily take an elk and anyone that tells you any different doesn’t know what they’re talking about

A 6.5 Grendel will NEVER be a 243, ever...
Have you tried a limb saver recoil pad? Aut standing for ANY rifle.
Are you kidding me?
The 6.5 Grendel is 26 caliber compared to 24 in the .243
The .243 has 100 ft lbs more energy at the muzzle, which honestly isn’t even measurable when it comes to what it does to the animal it hits, but the 6.5 Grendel passes the .243 in energy around 300+ yards so I’d love to hear how a “6.5 Grendel will never be a .243”?
Make it make sense
You people have to stop believing the bs you read in these forums and just go get some real life experience instead because this comment is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard. 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I’d bet money that you couldn’t give me a single area where the .243 is better than the 6.5 Grendel outside the little 100 ft lbs more energy at the muzzle but as I said the 6.5 Grendel passes the .243 around 300 yards.

I have no experience with the Grendel, but a decent knowledge of what it does down range. The .243 I've shot much of my life. I'm thinking about a rifle my kids could shoot deer with primarily so my question is entirely about recoil. How do they compare?

I've never considered the .243 to be a kicker until I watched my 11 y/o daughter shoot it. Grendel might be an alternative.
The 6.5 Grendel will do anything the .243 can do with less recoil, which neither have much to begin with, and you can easily find 6.5 Grendel upper receivers I an AR15 plus you get a bigger bullet with the 6.5 Grendel.
Go with the 6.5 Grendel
Trust me you’ll be glad you did

I wouldn’t start a young person with an AR platform. A good bolt action.243 is what I would suggest. I shot many dozens of deer and a couple moose (work) with a .243 using 100 gr. partitions, and soft points.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back