.243 or 6.5 prc

I'm a huge fan of a 243 any kind. I shot one for 40 years and both my kids started with one.
That said My little Grandaughter and I built a 6.5 Grendel. On a Howa mini bolt action. WHAT a laser beam!
We hand load and shoot an sst 123 fast.
Little recoil and a very light gun with a 20"
She is maybe 90 pounds now and 13, easy for her to pack and handle.
At 13 she has taken mule deer many grown hunters would die for.
Nice gun and chambering.
The next step up will probably be a 7mm/08 or a 338 federal.
How do I get my font that large?
Asking for a friend.

Back to the original question, if he’s shooting a .223 he’d shoot a .243 just fine, but he’s also a big kid. I graduated to a .30-06 in the 8th grade as a 5’-5” 123 pounder. So I think he’s be just fine with, and have room to grow with, the 6.5 PRC.

Friend of mine had him a new rifle built in 6mm Creedmor.
I asked about, he showed me a cartridge.
I says “oh its a 243.”
He got all butthurt about it cause it shoots a 105 grain bullet or some such thing. Supposed to knock Satellites down or some such ridiculousness.
I’ll stick with the 243. I aint huntin satellites anyway.
I hate to break it to you - it’s better than the old .243

And factory ammo is more available..

Back to the original question, if he’s shooting a .223 he’d shoot a .243 just fine, but he’s also a big kid. I graduated to a .30-06 in the 8th grade as a 5’-5” 123 pounder. So I think he’s be just fine with, and have room to grow with, the 6.5 PRC.
So the .06 would be an option? Started with one myself. Still have it. mtmuley

243 was my coyote gun for a lot of years 95 grain bergers. That being said I recently purchased a 6.5 prc and have been very impressed. If you handload 6.5 prc is my vote.
But 243 is also one of my favorites. It will do all he needs with not much recoil.
I just started reloading for my 7mm Rem Mag this year so I will be able to reload for the .243.

8 yrs old and first deer at 400yds with a 223 Wylde. Sounds to me like you taught him to shoot very well. Ya gonna teach him to hunt too?
I have never been so excited in my life and he asked me why I was crying after he shot it. Dropped it where it stood. That is the plan. I'm going to take him on an all day hunt here close to home in national forest when rifle season comes in.

Do you think he is going to be a big kid? Like maybe 160lbs plus by the time he is 10? If so I would go with the PRC unless you don't mind switching guns as he gets a little older. But the .243 is definitly a good deer round but if he plans to hunt elk in the future I would bypass it.
He is 4'8" and 145lbs and he is 8. He is wearing a size 9 mens at his age already. He wouldn't be elk hunting until he's probably 10 or 12 depending on when we go out west. Trying to go to CO next year for my first elk hunt.

243 is a good bet. If I had more guidance I would have far less rifles, although there is a lot of fun in more rifles.

Get a 6.5G upper. You can still collapse the stock so that it can grow with him. If he’s truly ready for a full size rifle then .243 or 6.5G would have plenty of oomph and light recoil. 6.5C would be the next step up. 6.5PRC is closer to a .270 Win with less frontal diameter
I never thought about that. I may look into that.

I started my kids with a ruger american 243. Bought the youth stock for it. Worked fine. I think a 6.5 creedmoor would be a good choice as well.

Back