.243 or 6.5 prc

Get a 6.5G upper. You can still collapse the stock so that it can grow with him. If he’s truly ready for a full size rifle then .243 or 6.5G would have plenty of oomph and light recoil. 6.5C would be the next step up. 6.5PRC is closer to a .270 Win with less frontal diameter

Do you think he is going to be a big kid? Like maybe 160lbs plus by the time he is 10? If so I would go with the PRC unless you don't mind switching guns as he gets a little older. But the .243 is definitly a good deer round but if he plans to hunt elk in the future I would bypass it.

but if he plans to hunt elk in the future I would bypass it.
I wouldn't.

6mm elk:

100 grain partition:

elk1.JPG

95 grain ballistic tip:

Resized952019081695194001952872.jpg

90 grain accubond:

21407.jpeg

100 grain old style nosler solid base, .243 368 yards:

IMG_20201118_140539876_BURST001_COMP.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion is the 6.5 doesn’t have a lot of extra recoil over the .243. It has more oomph and better bullet selections. More I think about it the 6.5 is a clear winner.

My opinion is the 6.5 doesn’t have a lot of extra recoil over the .243. It has more oomph and better bullet selections. More I think about it the 6.5 is a clear winner.
I agree, but if nosler ever makes a 105-110 grain .243 accubond that would change things in a properly throated and quick twist .243/6MM.

Sucks they don't.

The next logical step is to bypass both and go 7/08 and shoot light bullets to reduce recoil for young shooters.

I'm far from a Berger fan, but I have a .243 that is absolutely wicked with the 95 grain VLD. Loaded them before they came in an orange box. It's backing up the RUM and my son's .270 on an antelope hunt. mtmuley
I know my 7RM shoots the 168 gr VLD’s into tiny little bug holes. Killed everything from hogs, to whitetail, to elk. No complaints.

I know my 7RM shoots the 168 gr VLD’s into tiny little bug holes. Killed everything from hogs, to whitetail, to elk. No complaints.
Had bad experiences with the 190 in the RUM. To be fair I should have been shooting the 215 or even the 230. But, I found the 200 Accubond. Lots of dead stuff with that bullet. mtmuley

I'm far from a Berger fan, but I have a .243 that is absolutely wicked with the 95 grain VLD. Loaded them before they came in an orange box. It's backing up the RUM and my son's .270 on an antelope hunt. mtmuley
I will second that bullet in a 243. I watched a antelope start to run then flip over backwards. A wave of blood flew in the air in a arch and she was done.

The off shoulder was coyote food but it was darn impressive.

I will second that bullet in a 243. I watched a antelope start to run then flip over backwards. A wave of blood flew in the air in a arch and she was done.

The off shoulder was coyote food but it was darn impressive.
An older friend of mine had some heart issues. He couldn't tolerate the recoil of his .338 WM, so he borrowed my .243. I was with him when he killed three bulls with that rifle. 100 grain Core Lokts. mtmuley

I'm a huge fan of a 243 any kind. I shot one for 40 years and both my kids started with one.
That said My little Grandaughter and I built a 6.5 Grendel. On a Howa mini bolt action. WHAT a laser beam!
We hand load and shoot an sst 123 fast.
Little recoil and a very light gun with a 20"
She is maybe 90 pounds now and 13, easy for her to pack and handle.
At 13 she has taken mule deer many grown hunters would die for.
Nice gun and chambering.
The next step up will probably be a 7mm/08 or a 338 federal.

I vote for 7mm-08.
Some 120gr Ballistic Tips for a light recoiling deer capable round.
Can always go up in bullet weight for bigger game if you want.

My daughter is extremely recoil shy.
She traded her Weatherby Vangard in 243 for a bow.
The other year i built her a Mauser in 7X57.
She's fine with the 120gr BTs.

I however am going to h€¿¿ for putting a purple Boyds AT One stock on a Mauser. :rolleyes:

The 243 would clearly be my choice. There is nothing within a very long distance of Moorefield than would notice the impact difference between the two cartridges. The 243 would be fine for medium sized game, even for those pesky local black bears. It will also do a nice job in it's double duty role for groundhogs and coyotes.

Friend of mine had him a new rifle built in 6mm Creedmor.
I asked about, he showed me a cartridge.
I says “oh its a 243.”
He got all butthurt about it cause it shoots a 105 grain bullet or some such thing. Supposed to knock Satellites down or some such ridiculousness.
I’ll stick with the 243. I aint huntin satellites anyway.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back