5finger shoes

Devil Diver Down

Anybody think these would be good for putting a stalk on game while bowhunting?

treksport800.jpg

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of these as my secondary shoes for backpacking trips. Hike in with the heavy stuff in my Merrells and then use these for shorter distances after I have a bivy setup going.

Finally tried them on today and they feel just like you're in bare feet and the footfalls are ultra light.

As a youth I read a book that said Indians were quiet cuz they wore mocs. I got some mocs and tried it but had zero success.
This looks to be a step in that direction. I'd like to give it a try but fear I'd have trouble getting my toes in.
What kinda fabric is it? What do they weigh?

I have wide feet and liked them because they are stretchy and allowed my foot to kind of "spread out" a little. It took me a few times to get my toes in the right compartment at first and will take some getting used to, but I do really like the feel of being bare foot... but with vibram soles to protect my feet.

Probably not the best thing for colder climates either, since they're not sock friendly.

Materials (from the website)
UPPER - Coconut Active Carbon Fiber TPU Toe Protection

SOLE - 4mm EVA Midsole & TC-1 rubber

FOOTBED - Antimicrobial microfiber

weight is approx 6.5 oz each

I tried the Merrells--The Glove, I think they're called--but I didn't like how the front of the shoes pointed upward. They felt really strange on my feet. But I do like their products and customer service, so I'm still considering the Glove as well.

I saw a few people wearing these down in Florida this year on my vacation.They don't look very comfortable to me to wear in the mountains

Looks like Shocky wont have ti wear the wool socks on a stalk... We may hear more talk of bigfoot tracks being found in remote ares now also.

Jim Burnworth from Western Extreme (Bowtech's show) is rocking these and LOVES them for stalks. The idea behind them is that they improve your walking and running form forcing you to land on the balls of your feet rather then your heal. It's supposed to be a lot better for your body. Guys started using them during workouts and now everyone with every type of body shape can be seen wearing them around town just for doing whatever. If you want to carry something extra in with you, I think it's a great idea. I get really nervous about breaking a toe, but I don't hear a lot of people having issues with that and like I said, Jim Burnworth is doing exactly what you want to do with them and he swears by it.

I've done the hunt in socks trick before. I put on several pair of socks and yes my step was very quiet. I found after a few miles pine needles would work their way through the three layers of socks and start poking into my feet. I had to stop and pull the needles out several times but was able to stealth across a lot of ground. With the glove shoes I don't see pine needles being a problem.
I've also used a felt bottom that slips over your regular hunting shoes. They help with some noise reduction but without fail, you end up falling on your rear when going down hill...felt doesn't give much for traction, especially on vegetation. It is fun to watch the guy your with fall but it gets old after you've hit the ground for the 3 rd time. Each time I was grateful for good quivers and no injuries other that pride and a sore rear.
I'd love to read what people think as far as noise reduction with the 5 finger shoes. I wish I could try them on and then go for a walk.

I picked up a pair today. Gently used but too cheap to pass up. They feel strange at first, but I like the "barefoot" idea, so I'll shuffle them into my workout routine and see how things pan out. I expect they'll be in my pack in 25 days as I head after muleys with my bow.

LOL I would not be caught dead wearing those,you will be the laughing stock at hunting camp with those on.Who knows maybe they will work great though and you will get the last laugh.Keep us posted on how they work.

A word of warning, do not make an overnight switch to these type of "shoes" and go right into heavy activity. If you are used to wearing supportive boots and shoes and make an immediate switch to these or other minimalist footwear, you will likely have foot problems. You need to strengthen your feet very gradually to wear this kind of footwear witout problems. I know because I made an immediate switch to a pair of Nike Free shoes and am now battling plantar fasciitis. It sucks. Shoes like these should have a warning label on the box.

YES! Great for bowhunting. Also for rifle or whatever. Hunters in my neck of the woods wear several pairs of wool socks (already mentioned) or painter's canvas shoes. My Wife wears 5-fingers and I wear Teva Dozers. Two years ago I hunted all of rifle season in my Tevas. Anything light enough to trudge up the mountain in and be quiet is perfect. Heavy boots are for snow and cold IMO.

LOL I would not be caught dead wearing those,you will be the laughing stock at hunting camp with those on.Who knows maybe they will work great though and you will get the last laugh.Keep us posted on how they work.

I suspect I will get laughed at in hunt camp, even though I typically hunt alone. :cool: They are definitely not to be worn by shrinking violets. No worries there on my part. The deer and elk always seem to get a chuckle out of watching me anyway. Maybe these shoes will freeze them long enough for me to be successful.

A word of warning, do not make an overnight switch to these type of "shoes" and go right into heavy activity. If you are used to wearing supportive boots and shoes and make an immediate switch to these or other minimalist footwear, you will likely have foot problems. You need to strengthen your feet very gradually to wear this kind of footwear witout problems. I know because I made an immediate switch to a pair of Nike Free shoes and am now battling plantar fasciitis. It sucks. Shoes like these should have a warning label on the box.

I hear you. There's some good info between the Vibram and Merrell (glove) sites about good warm up/stretches and how to work them into your routine. I'm going to wear them at times when I'm working from home and add them into my routine a bit at a time. The plan is to integrate them into about 30-40% of my workouts in the next 4 weeks. I worked out this morning in my hunting boots. Tonight I'll hike around the neighborhood with my pack on, in the 5fingers. At least it will be dark. :eek:

I was talking to a guy at REI about these today and he said the backpackers are really the ones buying them because they are really packable and after a long day you can put them on to let ur boots air out and not be forced to hobble around barefoot. Sounds like a good idea but there are other things that cost $80 bucks that id rather put in my pack for the time being. Cant wait to hear your report DDD!

If Jim Burnworth recommends them...I'm sold, no questions asked.

Probably work great on game farms too.

Let us know how they work. I thought about it last year after a few in my office picked them up. After a month the two comments were that they were comfortable and they stink. The stink part kept me from trying them for hunting elk during the rut. The socks may help in that catagory though. now if someone made some socks with silver in them to reduce the stink.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back