5finger shoes

Quick update: After wearing them for some of my workouts at the gym and with my pack at night, I finally gave these things a real test Friday and hiked into one of my favorite canyons to see if I could catch trout in them. My youngest reminded me he hiked out of this place barefoot last year, so I had to man up.

picture.php

It's pretty rocky as you might imagine and there's not much on the sole to cushion the punishment. It's all about stepping a little different--staying on the balls of your feet.

picture.php

My boys got off to a fast start (taught 'em everything I know :rolleyes:) getting "on the board" within about 5 minutes. They both had 2 and Dad was still skunked after an hour. And I was hearing about it, loudly, each time they had fish hitting their spinners. They wanted to hang out at one hole for awhile so I put it in gear and headed upstream.

picture.php

They came around the bend about the time I was letting out a "Woo Hoo!" when I hooked this big one. Nice 17 incher after a steady diet of catching streambred 'bows between 4-10". It must have taken a nasty hit on the head while I was landing it--it just cruised in a small circle after I took the spinner out of its mouth, so unfortunately I couldn't release it like the others. My youngest was happy to scoop him up and handle the knife work.

picture.php

Final tally for the day:
Sawyer-3
Hunter-8
with Dad taking honors at a modest 15.

Great day out and the boys learned another valuable lesson--never let Dad get loose upstream, goofy shoes or not. We did about 5 miles total through thick brush and river rock, plus the 2 miles of up/down on the trail. Shoes held up pretty well--one stick poked through the side and gave me a jab--and were a welcome difference from my boots when crossing the creek multiple times. Great for trails, not great for rocky conditions. You will feel it in your calves at the end of the day and they're not for tenderfoots. I have a fairly heavy footfall normally and these have made a big difference in that respect. I haven't noticed any smell from them either, Drake. :eek:

Of course, the true test is less than 2 weeks away...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back