Yeti GOBOX Collection

4x4 or Mule??

I hunted North of you a cpl years ago and there were plenty of areas my truck never would have gone. Width of road, condition of road, muddy conditions, boulders exposed from wash outs, etc, etc. My little 500cc quad made traveling those roads pretty easy. That quad saved my hunt in WY a cpl years ago when everybody with a truck was confined to pavement. The quad stayed on top of the mud, not cause ruts and enabled me to hunt pretty much where i wanted.

50" atv rule... very few in MT for example... The UTV saves my actual driving truck, the one that got me to my hunting site, from breaking down.

Many LEGAL roads are available that are just too much for me to chance a transportation vehicle on, nor the massive excess time spent SLOWLY navigating the tight areas or finding myself having to backup because nowhere to turn and trying that backwards which forwards was a bitch to begin with.

Simple enough, contact your local 4wd CJ group. They will have maps of LEGAL roads / trails for such vehicles... That I would not take a transportation vehicle, though I would take a UTV. They spend tons on their CJ jeeps, etc... These roads/trails are in the forest areas and often can get you to gates that would otherwise take a lot of hike time (A LOT of time) to reach on foot.

A UTV can be transported and that give you another awesome feature - shuttling. Backtracking is simply hunting time less effectively used, IMO.

Enough said. My truck would have never had the first 150 yards of this 6 mile ride.

Attachments

• 2014 Elk in Rhino.jpg
    2014 Elk in Rhino.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 338
Please keep the 50 inch rule in mind, there is only 1 legal side by side, the rzr 800. All others are not legal in most states and on all public lands. And ATV will take you where no other vehicle will, motorcycles are useless in the snow and mud. Where I hunt, we ride back in behind gates as much as 5 or 6 miles from the full size open roads. And, they do not chase the deer and elk out of the country, but they will chase them off the trail. Ride out, park your machine and enjoy the hunt.
There are other 50" UTVs. Both Arctic Cat and Honda make one as well.

ATVs are good for some and bad for other's.... depends which side of the line you are on per say, I personally love mine, I don't make very much money and I spend 10 days chasing elk, I park my camper/truck just off the gravel and take my ATV on all those forest trails, with my ATV compared too my Diesel I save a bunch of $$$$ over those 10 days, since the diesel makes about 7mph on those mtn. roads.... heck of a lot faster too, 10mph in the truck 20-25mph in atv, I don't know anything that makes better fuel mileage than a 4 wheeler and time going over rough, narrow, snow, ice, mud, ruts, etc. those trucks make a heck of a lot more of a mess than a 4 wheeler, there are good and bad things with both, I use mine alot more than just hunting, use it around my small place for spraying, I use it for Ice fishing, I use it for play, etc, we also have the pure rock and clay Owyhee Mountains, I don't know too many people that can hunt that place with out a 4 wheeler of some sort, but I know for a fact if I didn't get off my azz and walk 2 miles I wouldn't have shot a 200" buck.... :D
Matt

put a big azz cow on it in 2013
IMG_0860_zpsf28ab516.jpg

Last edited:
Check out the "Rokon" - Two wheel drive murder cycle. I had one for a couple of years but didn't use it enough to keep.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back