MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

$496.75

I think you're forgetting a few expenditures. I'm a Co resident, and spend at least that to hunt in state.

I know it was an oversimplification, but in some ways the details make it even less of a cost in the sense that if gas, time off work, food, housing, processing, ammo, etc, etc, adds up to $1500 then what’s the real difference between $1975 or $1775?

Sounds like a bargain compared to a type 4 tag in Wyoming. That's the one that really makes me shake my head, at this point. I bought one a couple of years ago, when it was cheaper and it seemed like a stretch, at the time. But, in the end, it all comes down to supply and demand...

I call cheating on the airfare = 0 comparison :)

Why is it cheating? That’s literally how 99% of people who do that hunt buy their ticket, the instate portion of the trip is 7000 points each way and you get 30k for getting the card, it’s almost 2k in cash otherwise. Find me a credit card that you can apply for and within 6 months have enough points for a round trip from MN to CO.

Assuming you drive out and camp the entire time a NR CO elk hunt is going to run you at least $750, I’m just saying I was pretty floored when i got back from AK and was looking at my costs versus what it’s going to cost next year for me to hunt elk in WY As a NR.

Why is it cheating? That’s literally how 99% of people who do that hunt buy their ticket, the instate portion of the trip is 7000 points each way and you get 30k for getting the card, it’s almost 2k in cash otherwise. Find me a credit card that you can apply for and within 6 months have enough points for a round trip from MN to CO.

Assuming you drive out and camp the entire time a NR CO elk hunt is going to run you at least $750, I’m just saying I was pretty floored when i got back from AK and was looking at my costs versus what it’s going to cost next year for me to hunt elk in WY As a NR.

I was just teasing and don’t know anything about that specific card. My wife often says, “but the ticket is free with out card points” to which I remind her we can also take $500 cash in leu of a ticket, or save it for some future flight when we would have to buy a $800 ticket because we are out of points.

I hope every hunter in America agrees with you, as I will be happy to take one of the leftover tags and put 175 lbs of top grade meat in the freezer for less than $3/lb.

Elk meat is some of the most expensive food I've ever eaten. mtmuley

This year I will start paying $50 a year for a preference point for a sheep tag I will probably never draw, even as a resident. Spend $500 for a cow elk tag and someone actually gets to go hunting.

It's expensive, but if you're successful you get around 150 lbs of awesome meat and a chance to hunt where elk live- so I'd pay it.

If I could justify the financial ratio of expense to sustenance regarding elk meat I'd be the highest paid tax accountant in Texas...if I could explain the obsession I'd could switch to psychiatry.

If I could justify the financial ratio of expense to sustenance regarding elk meat I'd be the highest paid tax accountant in Texas...if I could explain the obsession I'd could switch to psychiatry.

Truth.

Elk meat is some of the most expensive food I've ever eaten. mtmuley

+1

$3/lb, no chance. Factor in gas, even just 1 day off work. Food saver bags if you butcher your own. A grinder amortized if you butcher your own. 1 day of scouting in the summer. 1-2 havalon blades. Tag/license. But whatever makes your wife sleep better at night!

There’s no way in hell I’ll ever calculate what I pay per pound for chukar meat. Odds are, it’s still cheaper than visiting a cardiologist and a shrink, but probably not by much.

I'll pass. I'd mountain bike, drink beer, and buy beef when I get home.

Last edited:
I pay NR fees everywhere. Sounds like a reasonable price to me. My archery NM tag this year will be basically $790 if I draw. If NM sold rifle cow tags for that price, I'd buy one.

+1

$3/lb, no chance. Factor in gas, even just 1 day off work. Food saver bags if you butcher your own. A grinder amortized if you butcher your own. 1 day of scouting in the summer. 1-2 havalon blades. Tag/license. But whatever makes your wife sleep better at night!

Agree to disagree lol

In some instances maybe, in others it’s actually cheap. Take for example my daughters cow elk tag this year. We spent $60 in fuel, her tag $16.50. Went on a weekend. She shot a cow, got about 140lbs of meat. Already knew the area/did not scout. No havalon knife lol. Say I forgot something I didn’t mention, still $2/lb. and I got to spend time with my wife and kids.... now the opposite for our WY antelope trip. Spent about $1500 for 120lbs of meat, 12.50/lb lol... but was fun and another great family adventure!
Matt

I was just teasing and don’t know anything about that specific card. My wife often says, “but the ticket is free with out card points” to which I remind her we can also take $500 cash in leu of a ticket, or save it for some future flight when we would have to buy a $800 ticket because we are out of points.

Yep.

I hope every hunter in America agrees with you, as I will be happy to take one of the leftover tags and put 175 lbs of top grade meat in the freezer for less than $3/lb.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but figure the cost of the trip and it is WAY higher than $3/pound. I have only one time gotten 175 pounds of meat off a cow elk, unless you are counting all of the bones-more like an average of 110-120. Bull, yes.

These states keep choking more and more money out of non-residents, because people will not say,"enough is enough!". This attitude of "I hope you quit hunting, because I am willing to take the tag", is not helping this situation. I quit Colorado a long time ago, as I was sick of their prices, short seasons and politics. Wyoming is still a fair deal at this point, but since they know that somebody will buy the tags, no matter what the cost, they will at some point jump on the band wagon.

Last edited:
Back