Caribou Gear Tarp

338WM bullet choice

GlockZ

I own a Model70, post ‘64 in 338WM. Was wondering if anyone is willing to share their favorite bullet & powder combo. I’m thinking somewhere in the 225 grain bullet range. Currently shooting the Hornady 225gr SST, they’re ok, not really impressed with the way bullets disintegrate on impact on game. Was looking at the mono bullets or the Accubonds. Shots would be within 300yards, maybe an occasional shot out to 500, but that would be it. Thanks in advance.

I shoot a 225gr Nosler Partion, 70 grs. IMR4831, Federal Benchrest Primer and for elk, bear etc and for antelope, hayfield deer, I use a Hornaday Interlock 225gr. Both bullets shoot to the same point. Haven't tried them yet in .338 ( just in .270) but the Swift A-frame seems to be a very good bullet also.

I think the 225 is a good weight to use in the 338, but in mine I've been using lighter bullets to keep recoil as possible. I've used the 210 grain Nosler Partition and the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Believe it or not, but the Ballistic Tip in .338 is actually a very tough bullet, with the majority of the bullet being made up of the copper jacket and only a small part the lead core. I get great accuracy with the Ballistic Tips at about 2900 fps and recoil is not too terrible. I also have some 185 grain Barnes TSX bullets but have not tried them yet.

Current load is a case about full of RL19 & a 225 grain TTSX right around 2850 fps. Getting good accuracy on it, but haven't killed anything with that load.

I've used RL 19 with 225 grain interbonds and they were devastating on mule deer & I've used the 225 grain Interlock on elk with very good results.

I haven't moved off of RL 19 since that's what the gun really likes, and I'm lazy once I find a good load.

I've shot a few Elk with the 250 partition and had great results. Shots from 60 yards to just over 400 yards all with the same results. I've also loaded 210 partitions that have shot well but no game yet. I tried 225 grain accubonds but could never get any consistent accuracy. I've worked up a accurate load with the TTSX 225 grain and it shoots, but again have not shot anything with it. My hunting buddy shot a cow with the TSX and dropped it in it's tracks at 110 yards. The powder I have had good results with is IMR 4350 and Federal 215 primers and Federal cases.

Dan

Last edited:
I forgot to say which powder I'm using. What I'm currently shooting from my Rem. 700 338 W.M. is 71 grains of Reloder 16 with a 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I looked up the velocity and I was wrong when I said 2900. I'm actually just over 2800. I'm sure I could reach 2900 if I wanted to, but as I said before, I'm trying to keep recoil down as much as possible.

I own a Model70, post ‘64 in 338WM. Was wondering if anyone is willing to share their favorite bullet & powder combo. I’m thinking somewhere in the 225 grain bullet range. Currently shooting the Hornady 225gr SST, they’re ok, not really impressed with the way bullets disintegrate on impact on game. Was looking at the mono bullets or the Accubonds. Shots would be within 300yards, maybe an occasional shot out to 500, but that would be it. Thanks in advance.

Any idea of the twist rate of that rifle? Probly 1-10 maybe? mtmuley

185 grain TTSX and 63 grains of 4064, been using it for years, used a TSX before that and before that a 175 X bullet

My best load in the .338 win mag is 72gr. R-17 with 200gr. Accubond .
My rifle is a Savage 116 Alaskan guide with a 20" barrel. The load didn't show much promise until I started seating the bullets out pretty long.
The groups shrunk down to an average of 1- 1/4" at the hundred.

I shoot 225 ttsx behind a max load of IMR 4350 can’t temper how many grains off the top of my head. It has accounted for a few bears and a big elk last fall. Works awesome

Back