338 wmag RE 19 & 250gr Accubond

Nosler No. 6 lists from 69 to 73 grains of RL-19 with the 250 grain Partition. Data interchanges from what I understand. mtmuley

Nosler No. 6 lists from 69 to 73 grains of RL-19 with the 250 grain Partition. Data interchanges from what I understand. mtmuley

I'm not much help with loading the 338, but there is all sorts of load info on the web. My experience between the Partitions and Accubonds, is that switching between the two with the same load data is not really comparable. The loads listed in the Nosler book are max for the Partition, but a little light on the Accubonds, the same load will yeild slower velocities with the Accu, thus likley being lower pressure.

Make sense? In other words, the load listed is a conservative safe max for the Accubond, but work up per usual.

I'm not much help with loading the 338, but there is all sorts of load info on the web. My experience between the Partitions and Accubonds, is that switching between the two with the same load data is not really comparable. The loads listed in the Nosler book are max for the Partition, but a little light on the Accubonds, the same load will yeild slower velocities with the Accu, thus likley being lower pressure.

Make sense? In other words, the load listed is a conservative safe max for the Accubond, but work up per usual.

I load RL-19 for 225' out of my 338 and use the Hornady Spire Point and the Hornady Interbond. Velocity increases with the Interbond using the same powder charge. The Spire point is about 2850 and the Interbond is right at 2900 fps. I would imagine the bearing surface is smaller on the I-bond than the Spire Point, increasing velocity as well as reducing pressure, no?

My .338 is built on a Sako action (L-61) and Lilja barrel. Over the years I have worked up two loads that are simply splendid in this particular rifle: 250-gr. Nosler Partition ahead of 70 grs. of IMR-4350, and 72 grs. of H-4831 ahead of a 225-gr. Hornady Spire-Point. (I think they call it the "Interlock" these days.) With the first load I killed two Alaskan brown bears, with the Hornady I shot three big barren ground caribou bulls and at least half dozen elk. Hope this helps.

I load RL-19 for 225' out of my 338 and use the Hornady Spire Point and the Hornady Interbond. Velocity increases with the Interbond using the same powder charge. The Spire point is about 2850 and the Interbond is right at 2900 fps. I would imagine the bearing surface is smaller on the I-bond than the Spire Point, increasing velocity as well as reducing pressure, no?

I think you have a valid point about bearing surface. however with the Partition, you have a solid section in the center which doesn't want to compress as easily as a jacketed lead core. I find the pressure issues increase dramatically when shooting my bastardized 35 Brown/Whelen. It started life as a 9x57, the bore is 0.356 inches. I load standard 35cal or .358 bullets, I have no problem squishing them down the barrel, except with Partitions, I get pressure signs with the same charge compared to Accubonds. If I swedge the Partitions, the pressure signs go away, and velocity is similar. If I swedge the Accubonds, they shoot slower with the same charge.

The funny thing about Partitions, is that I can't get them to shoot very well in any of the rifles I have, yet can get Accubonds to shoot great, along with various other bullets, Ballistic Tips, Hornady inerlock, Sierra (all types), etc. Not saying they're a bad bullet, just saying they don't shoot well for me. They sucked so bad in my 338-06AI that I gave away 4 boxes. Groups were 2-3" with about 4 different powders and various loads. Switched to Accubonds, and dialed in a load to half MOA. I'm hardly a good shooter, but know a good shooting rifle when I have one.

I tried the Interbonds in my 280, and 7mm, they shot pretty well, but found a 1000 second Accubonds for cheap and haven't gone back.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of the partition being a factor on pressure. Is that why the Barnes bullets have the rings, to reduce pressure from increased density of bullet?

I've only loaded partitions for the 06. They shot sub-MOA, but I didn't care for them too much. Seems like the interlock gives me as good terminal performance for 1/2 the price. the I-bonds have been good. 2 of my rifles shoot them MOA or better. That finicky 7mm mauser shoots them at 1.5 icnhes or so. Same rifles don't seem to like the accubonds.

Ah the vagaries of handloading. :)

FWIW, many consider the Interlock as having the smallest bearing surface of most bullets. IIRC, I read this in the works of John Barsness. If correct, the I-bond would be faster due to an increase in pressure at the same load charge. All things relatively equal, pressure = velocity.

In regards to the OP, I agree with Bambistew's comments. If you stick with load data for the Partition you should be well into safe pressures if loading the Accubond.

1 pointer is right. I too have followed John Barsness who did a good write up on my 264 mag a few years ago. Most data I see Hornady sst/interlocks can be pushed faster opposed to bonded types. I can get sst's faster than scirrocco's by 100fps from my experience loading both. Jacket composition and bearing surface gets the pressures up. I wouldn't swap partition and accubond bullets with the same charge when near max.

FWIW, many consider the Interlock as having the smallest bearing surface of most bullets. IIRC, I read this in the works of John Barsness. If correct, the I-bond would be faster due to an increase in pressure at the same load charge. All things relatively equal, pressure = velocity.

the interlock spire point or boattail? It seems the spires have a longer bearing surface than the boattails.

I have seen no difference between boat tails and spire points in the hundreds that I have loaded over the years. I have always had very good accuracy and generally good terminal performance. I have never loaded for the 338. I would think that Re19 would be a little fast for that cartridge. Have you every tried 22 or 25?

Last edited:
the interlock spire point or boattail? It seems the spires have a longer bearing surface than the boattails.
My recollection is that the they were never seperated based on the butt end, but all Interlocks considered as the same for bearing surface. FWIW...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back