MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.308 load

CILhunter

OK. I've been working on a load for my Howa 308 using 165 gr Sierra Game Kings and IMR 4064. I started at 42 gr. and worked up in .5 gr increments to 43.5, which the Sierra manual lists as the max load for that powder and bullet combo. They didn't group for crap. Talking like a 2.5 inch group at 100 yds. Was frustrated and contemplating throwing the rifle off a bridge:mad:, but before I did that I decided to go to the other end of the load map and started with 39 gr. and worked up to 41. Fired my first 3 rounds of 39 gr., and was irritated because it looked (through the scope) like I had wiffed on the second 2. Not even on paper. I walked up to the target at 100 yds and determined that all 3 were actually in the same hole. 40 gr. grouped almost as good - I could see the individual holes, but they were touching.

Is this common to have your rifle shoot better at the low end of the velocity range?

Not uncommon at all. Each rifle is in and of itself. Different bullet, different powder and you start all over.I hand loaded for years with my 308, turns out it likes plain Jane Win 180gr power points. Ya just never know.

Go figure. My 308 is, shall we say, finicky. But with Barnes 168s and 48 grains of CFE .223 it clocks at 2823 feet per second. That strikes me as fast, but still is the most accurate load Gary Sloan and I have been able to assemble for it.

With one rifle I generally have accuracy tighten with bigger loads, another, they are all across the board.

Don't be afraid to mess with seating depth if you get a very consistent load.

338LMtest001JPG.jpg

Try Varget with Fed LRM Primers. Start at 44.0 and work up in .5 gr. increments until you find your sweet spot.

Rarely have my most accurate loads been a max published load. I would say your results are more typical in regards to accuracy than the exception. 4064 is a very good 308 powder as is Varget.

That is totally common. I think velocity is way overrated. You have to have enough velocity to make the bullet perform as needed, but generally, the more accurate loads are going to be under max. For a long time, I played the game of worrying about how fast the load was. I prematurely burned out a 7 mag barrel doing it, too.

Hit your accuracy spot and then decide if it has enough velocity to do what you want with the bullet. Varget, IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 are all great with the .308. Another bullet that I have found that is easily reloaded, is the Hornady 165-grain Interlock.

My wife's .308 shoots best with 40.5g of IMR 4064. Velocity doesn't matter too much if you have target turret and a range finder

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WW2 Buff
Back