308 Bullet Selection (factory loads)

Mossy-Back

I picked up a Howa Kuiu 308 in December and I’m accumulating ammo to test in it for accuracy for next fall’s Roosevelt bull elk season in Oregon. Most shots will be under 250 yards. I don’t reload so I’ll be shooting factory loads. I had good success with Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the past but haven’t tried the new TBT yet.

So far what I’m going to try out is:

180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip
178 gr Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX
165 gr Nosler Partition
165 gr Nosler Accubond
165 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip

Any others I should keep in mind? Any problems with the ones I’ve chosen? I noticed I can get the Accubond loaded by Federal and by Nosler and the Nosler loads are listed as 100 FPS faster. Anyone shotnnoth and noticed much difference?

I would check out the Hornady SuperFormance in 165 grain.

I shot a cow elk with 165 gr SST last year and a big body blacktail buck this year. Did the job, but from what I saw if I had hit bone it wouldn’t have performed well. Looking for tougher bullets, especially for bull elk.

I picked up a Howa Kuiu 308 in December and I’m accumulating ammo to test in it for accuracy for next fall’s Roosevelt bull elk season in Oregon. Most shots will be under 250 yards. I don’t reload so I’ll be shooting factory loads. I had good success with Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the past but haven’t tried the new TBT yet.

So far what I’m going to try out is:

165 gr Nosler Partition
165 gr Nosler Accubond

150 gr. E-tip (Nosler ammo)
Any others I should keep in mind? Any problems with the ones I’ve chosen? I noticed I can get the Accubond loaded by Federal and by Nosler and the Nosler loads are listed as 100 FPS faster. Anyone shotnnoth and noticed much difference?

There you go.

I shot a cow elk with 165 gr SST last year and a big body blacktail buck this year. Did the job, but from what I saw if I had hit bone it wouldn’t have performed well. Looking for tougher bullets, especially for bull elk.

The Hornady SST is not the bullet to use on those big animals and what you stated about hitting bone is why. Move up to at least their Interlock for big bodied deer and their Interbond for elk and you won't be sorry with their accuracy or terminal performance.

I've been a long time nosler fan and their factory ammo is as good as it gets. My preference is the accubond but any of them will work great. See what shoots best. My 300wm actually prefers the Hornady eld-x and performed great on the bull I shot this year at 470 yards, haven't killed anything up close with it. Accubonds if they shoot well have never let me down at any distance.

The ELDX and Accubond both seem to get love/hate from lots of people. It seems like the ELDX comes apart when it hits at high speeds like out of a magnum up close, and the Accubond seems to not expand enough and pass through at lower velocities. . With a 308 the velocity won’t be all that high for longer shots but most of my shots hunting on the coast here have been under 100 yards.

I’m thinking the Partition will be money if it shoots well in my rifle. Best of both worlds.

The Accubond is the best of both worlds, but hey, the internet says. The Partition wont let you down either. mtmuley

Hornady offers their SuperFormance .308 in a 165gn GMX (lead free, similar to a Barnes). If they are accurate in your gun, this would be a great load for elk. I shoot the same bullet (165gn GMX) in my .300WM, and have been extremely pleased with the performance on elk.

my son shot a bull this year with the nosler accubond. performed well. one shot, dead bull. he shoots a Thompson center and it had very good groupings when sighting it in.

165 partitions are my favorite. I have shot cape eland, kudu, wildabeast, elk, moose, black bear...
Never had a partition let me down.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. As soon as I get a chance and buy a couple more boxes of ammo I’ll head out and see what groups best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back