308 Bullet Selection (factory loads)

Your list didn’t contain, possibly the best .308 Win. bullet for elk. That would be the VOR-TX, 150 grain! Do some research on them, before you discard them. Loaded with Barnes Bullets, which are a proven performer on larger game. memtb

For what it's worth, I'm taking my son on his first elk hunt (for a cow) next fall. He shoots a .308 and I'm working on his load right now. Assuming I can get it dialed in, I'm going with the 150 grain Barnes TTSX.

I still worry about mono-metal rounds expanding reliably in slower calibers. I think I’ll stick with lead core bullets for now.

Hell, my dad and I both killed cow elk with Core-Lokt and dropped them where they stood. I’m probably worrying too much. Just gotta find what shoots well.

Federal loads the 165 Game King in their Premium line. Very accurate and performs well at 308 velocities.

I still worry about mono-metal rounds expanding reliably in slower calibers. I think I’ll stick with lead core bullets for now.

Hell, my dad and I both killed cow elk with Core-Lokt and dropped them where they stood. I’m probably worrying too much. Just gotta find what shoots well.

Factory ammo (VOR-TX) lists the 150 TTSX @ 2900 fps from a .308 Win. With the predicted ranges that you expect, you should have plenty of velocity for good expansion and likely an exit wound.

Barnes bullets ( we handload) have been our “only” bullet since the mid-‘90’s.....and we’ve yet to be disappointed! We’ve used them ( though in a different caliber) on big game from; deer/antelope to moose.

My last antelope was taken @ 430 yards, and my wife and I have both taken elk @ 400 +or - yards. It is true, that you “will not” get the “explosive” expansion as with many other bullets, but you “will” be able to get your bullet into an elks vitals...no matter what the shot angle! memtb

Last edited:
There's always hate towards every type of bullet. The SSTs and ELD-Xs drop things in their tracks. I shot a doe whitetail at 10 yards with my '06 this year. The bullet performed as expected.

If you want great penetration get one of the Noslers or any monometal. If you want catastrophic shock, go with one of the above. After reading a bunch of articles about lead being found in strange places after being shot with high-expansion bullets lots of people have been switching to monometal on here.

Just be aware of what bullets are supposed to do and be smart about choosing. Then place your shots accordingly. There are a ton of different hunting bullets that will kill an elk just fine.

I like Norma Oryx bullets. They hold together well on elk. Looks like you can get them in either 165 or 180 gr in .308.

I tested 3 of that list and settled on the Nosler 165g Accubond. Excellent bullet that has taken an elk each of the last 4 years. Of the 4, I got pass-throughs on 2 and 2 I recovered the bullet. They performed excellently both ways.

I will be testing the 178 ELD-X just for testing purposes this year and checking out the Barnes as well. There is more than enough info on the internet to prove or disprove any of your choices since most people blame their poor shots on poor bullet performance. Since lost animals don't tell stories there is no way to disprove a story. Stick with the honest and constructive information and you'll find a stout bonded bullet will take an elk just fine.

At this point I’m leaning towards the Partition, but if the Trophy Bonded Tip, ELDX, or Accubond are much more accurate in this rifle I’ll go with the most accurate round.

My thinking is that I don’t want a pass through. I want the energy of the bullet dumped into the animal to cause severe trauma to the lungs/heart/spine/arteries. But I know that on big animals you need penetration for that to be effective. If only you could choose which bullet to shoot right when you are about to take the shot.

I shot a cow elk with 165 gr SST last year and a big body blacktail buck this year. Did the job, but from what I saw if I had hit bone it wouldn’t have performed well. Looking for tougher bullets, especially for bull elk.
Try the superformance 150 GMX, We're forced to use copper here in California and they're the best factory ammunition I've found so far

Don't rule out 168 gr. Historically the 308 has loved 168's... I shoot Barnes TTSX 168 for hunting through my 308 and it cloverleaf's at 100 all day.. For paper punching I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 168.. Also Federal has come out with 168 grain hunting ammo this year too... Nosler has some great offerings too, just a little expensive is all..

Back