Caribou Gear Tarp

3006 what gr bullet.

Preacher shaner

I just got my rem 790 in 3006. I am going to have some work done to it. So now I am buying up the things I would like .
I am shopping for bullet's. It will mainly be shooting white tales. But it will the the rifle that I take to CO next year. That being said. I am looking at the 165 gr partition. I know it's all about shot placement. My dad and all my uncle's use to hunt hogs in southern Arkansas and all they used was 22s. They killed a bunch of them. But that dose not mean I would call a 22 a good hog round.
So thats why I am asking about the 165 partition. I know it will work but is it good ELK medicine.
If not where he bullet should I use. I just don't want to load a bunch of deferent bullet weights for everything I hunt. Thanks yall

The 165 grain Partition or Accubond is an excellent choice.
If your rifle won’t shoot 165 grain bullets accurately with IMR4350 or H4350, you should throw it away. Lol

I used a .30/06 for my first 20 years elk hunting, it works just fine. I liked 180gr. Partitions for elk; 165 for mule deer. Either way you’re in good shape. The last 10 years, I’d have to look at my data, I’ve been running Accubonds in all my hunting rifles: 6.5 to .375, certainly worth look.

The 165 Partition would be a great choice, but (and I'm sorry if I ruffle any feathers here), why not pick the accubond instead? Seems like you get about the same terminal performance, along with longer effective range (thanks to BC) and a bullet that may be more inherently accurate. I'm sure you'll be happy either way, though.

mine loves 165gr sierras in the soft point boat tail.

Shoots a ragged hole at 100 at 2875 FPS

I prefer the 150 Interlocks in my -06, for deer. If you are going to mainly shoot deer, with a future hope for elk, about any 150,165-grain bullet will work well. The Partition, or Accubomb will be excellent for elk.

I just watched an episode where Randy shot a giant Colorado bull with the 165 partition out of a 308. The elk didn't go anywhere. I assume similar results out of a 30/06

That's a good choice just like everyone else has said. Find an equivalent copper solid to hunt with, I'm in the process of finding an equivalent copper for hunting to my 180 grain silvertip ballistic tips.

I've had great luck with IMR 4350 and partitions.

And the 165 TTSX from Barnes is my standby now. Both are great, as are the Accubonds, e-tips, and a host of cup and core bullets. The Partition will be perfect elk medicine.

The 165 Partition would be a great choice, but (and I'm sorry if I ruffle any feathers here), why not pick the accubond instead? Seems like you get about the same terminal performance, along with longer effective range (thanks to BC) and a bullet that may be more inherently accurate. I'm sure you'll be happy either way, though.
Another benefit of the Accubond is that the equivalent 165 gr Ballistic Tip shoots to the same POI. The ballistic tip is noticeably less expensive which is nice if you shoot a lot.

Another benefit of the Accubond is that the equivalent 165 gr Ballistic Tip shoots to the same POI. The ballistic tip is noticeably less expensive which is nice if you shoot a lot.

I don’t think I’ve ever paid over about $20 a box for Accubonds.

The 165 grain Partition or Accubond is an excellent choice.
If your rifle won’t shoot 165 grain bullets accurately with IMR4350 or H4350, you should throw it away. Lol
Exactly what he said. Most folks find that somewhere between 56-58 grs. with one of those powders also seems to find the sweet spot. I've had two 30-06 rifles that like either the 165 gr. Partition or Accubond over 57.4 grs. of IMR4350 using Winchester brass. Either the Partition or Accubond will work great. I shot an Alaska grizzly bear with my 280 AI and used ONE 140 gr. Accubond which killed my bear instantly with a broadside lung shot. He spun 180 degrees into the side I shot him, did two somersaults, and was dead. Never moved again. Nice exit wound out the other side.

I used a 30-06 rifle, and one bullet for years --Bear's, Bison, Muskox, moose, caribou, wolf

180 partition

However, apparently the animals in the far north have hearing and vision problems as 200 yards is a long shot for us. We also prefer one bullet per rifle. 180 would be heavier than needed for caribou and Wolf, if that was all we planned to hunt with it.

165 NAB or TTSX over I4350... or H4350... or RL17... or H4895... or Varget... or, well, you get the point. I prefer the I4350, but the 30-06 with 165s is usually not hard at all to load for.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back